Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the original link for when our problems started with this lemon.

Our transmission blew at 19k and had to be completely replaced. While they were at it they blew up a the driveshaft that took 3 trips into the dealer for them to diagnose and replace. at 33k my wife is now dead in the water with the following errors:

Emission system problem
All Wheel Drive system problem
Vehicle stability system problem
Vehicle start assist problem
trailer stability assist problem
power steering system problem

I'm sure with all those items there's a sensor or computer or something along those lines that's gone out, but with so little mileage on a vehicle that we absolutely baby, I'm getting pretty fed up with Honda and at this point I'm going to look into getting an attorney and see if they can force the stealership to take it back.

Kicking myself for not purchasing a Toyota. Of the dozens of Toyotas my extended family has owned, we've never had any major issues under 150k and most go well into 200k with none.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Here's the original link for when our problems started with this lemon.

Our transmission blew at 19k and had to be completely replaced. While they were at it they blew up a the driveshaft that took 3 trips into the dealer for them to diagnose and replace. at 33k my wife is now dead in the water with the following errors:

Emission system problem
All Wheel Drive system problem
Vehicle stability system problem
Vehicle start assist problem
trailer stability assist problem
power steering system problem

I'm sure with all those items there's a sensor or computer or something along those lines that's gone out, but with so little mileage on a vehicle that we absolutely baby, I'm getting pretty fed up with Honda and at this point I'm going to look into getting an attorney and see if they can force the stealership to take it back.

Kicking myself for not purchasing a Toyota. Of the dozens of Toyotas my extended family has owned, we've never had any major issues under 150k and most go well into 200k with none.
I rebuilt a salvaged 2017 EX-L 2wd with 19k miles. After repairs and getting it on the road, there were obvious transmission issues. Slipping constantly. At 19k miles I did a one time drain and fill with Honda DW-1. I was shocked to find that the 2 year old DW-1 I drained out was black syrup and had a very old smell. Needless to say, the one time 3.5 quart change didn't give me any help to fix the transmissions slipping issues. So, having no fears of voiding my waranty since there is no waranty on a salvage vehicle, a not wanting to loose on my investment, I began doing Drain Fill Drive ATF changes with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife. 3 times, removing 3.8 Quarts each time by jacking up the rear driver side. I did not drive the vehicle much over a month period, and during this time I had a vibration issue I was still trying to figure out (it was discovered to be engine mounts), I decided to install S-VCM to disable the VCM. This along with switching to MaxLife, my transmission slipping issues ended. New front and back engine mounts with a new set of tires, it drives like a new car.

Reactions: Osb40000 and Sha93

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the trans had pure black nastiness coming out of it when drained. I may need to look into S-VCM. Glad to hear it's workingwell for you and I'm grateful for your input.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The key is to do transmission drain and fills more frequently, I plan on doing them every 15k miles or every other oil change since the fluid is so cheap.

I too have been looking to switching to Toyota but NOTHING will beat it in terms of size vs. cost. The new highlander is really small and looks like a subaru, I owned a 2019 RX450HL and the cvt sucks and so does their awd. I considered a 4runner but everything toyota makes is so outdated as well as lexus. Honda takes a stride in tech but is more unreliable now because it of (I.E. infotainment issues, 9 speed issues, etc). What toyota were you thinking about getting?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
You got a lemon. That is not normal for fluid to be destroyed so soon. I hope you can get the dealer to take some responsibility for this. It is not a problem with the fluid, there was a problem with the transmission. Do not let them try and put the blame on you. If you want any hope at getting assistance from Honda continue to use DW-1 because they will try and deny giving any assistance if not.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You got a lemon. That is not normal for fluid to be destroyed so soon. I hope you can get the dealer to take some responsibility for this. It is not a problem with the fluid, there was a problem with the transmission. Do not let them try and put the blame on you. If you want any hope at getting assistance from Honda continue to use DW-1 because they will try and deny giving any assistance if not.
In my case, I bought a 2 year old vehicle that went 2 hot summers of driving in Houston Tx. The owner oblivious that their VCM was killing their transmission. Who knows, I may have continued to flush with fresh DW-1 to solve my problem. I had more faith in Honda's equipment than I did in their ATF (past experiences with 5-speed transmissions). It certainly would have been better to flush 2-3 more times with it than just once. I don't like the fluid. But I don't like the VCM more. If I had warranty. I'd be wanting a new transmission, then disable the VCM after I got it.
Yes, use DW-1 if you have a warranty. Change more than the book says if you plan to keep long term.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The key is to do transmission drain and fills more frequently, I plan on doing them every 15k miles or every other oil change since the fluid is so cheap.

I too have been looking to switching to Toyota but NOTHING will beat it in terms of size vs. cost. The new highlander is really small and looks like a subaru, I owned a 2019 RX450HL and the cvt sucks and so does their awd. I considered a 4runner but everything toyota makes is so outdated as well as lexus. Honda takes a stride in tech but is more unreliable now because it of (I.E. infotainment issues, 9 speed issues, etc). What toyota were you thinking about getting?
Yeah, the new highlander is way too small for us so that's out. We purchased the Pilot before we knew our 4th was on her way. It's too small and inconvenient for us now anyway (oldest is 7yo), so we'll likely be looking at a Sienna which should be roomier from what I've seen and will hopefully be more reliable. The 2021 Sienna is a hybrid, not sure how I feel about that, but I'll be looking at it and of course older Siennas. I wish that the Sequoia wasn't such a gas sucking pig, because it's got the room that we need and I have friends with 250k on their Sequoias with zero major repairs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer installed a new transmission at 19k. We're at 33k now and the dealer didn't get around to looking at it yet but suffice it to say that my wife absolutely doesn't trust it and wants to trade it in asap.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Yeah, the new highlander is way too small for us so that's out. We purchased the Pilot before we knew our 4th was on her way. It's too and inconvenient for us now anyway (oldest is 7yo), so we'll likely be looking at a Sienna which should be roomier from what I've seen and will hopefully be more reliable. The 2021 Sienna is a hybrid, not sure how I feel about that, but I'll be looking at it and of course older Siennas. I wish that the Sequoia wasn't such a gas sucking pig, because it's got the room that we need and I have friends with 250k on their Sequoias with zero major repairs.
May I suggest a used 2nd gen Pilot with a 5-speed transmission. For what you pay for a new vehicle, you will have more than enough funds to keep it going 200k + miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May I suggest a used 2nd gen Pilot with a 5-speed transmission. For what you pay for a new vehicle, you will have more than enough funds to keep it going 200k + miles.
If it was for me, I'd consider it, but it's for my wife and she's spoiled. :LOL: My friend has a 2nd gen pilot and it's still going strong with over 200k on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to update this thread, but it was the throttle body that they replaced under warranty at 33k.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it was for me, I'd consider it, but it's for my wife and she's spoiled. :LOL: My friend has a 2nd gen pilot and it's still going strong with over 200k on it.
Wives just don't understand reliability. I told her to get a 2015 2nd Gen Pilot, too. She wouldn't go for it because of the looks and the shorter / older features. My wife had a honey-find list and we ended up with a used 2017 Pilot Elite. I drove the heck out of it during the 3 day return window with a tech tool plugged in. I did the ATF fluid drain and fill, changed the engine and cabin air filters, topped off the coolant overflow tank to the High mark, refilled the windshield washer fluid, and verified that the oil and filter were brand new. I'll drain and fill the rear differential and transfer case at the next oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts