Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read the previous thread on recommendations for a brake controller that will work with my rig. I have 2019 Touring pilot AWD with dealer fitted hitch and transmission cooler. I will be towing an RV travel trailer but I am having huge problems getting a brake controller that works and getting bounced between Honda and the RV dealer. Honda says it does not provide or recommend a brake controller for the Pilot (that seems wrong - they should not offer a vehicle with 5,000 lbs towing capacity and not support any option for a brake controller). The RV dealer fitted a brake controller (Quest). But it did not work. They tried a second one, in case it was an issue with that unit (same model) and it also did not work
Symptoms were: unit was wired up and light up correctly but when brake pedal was pressed it went off and no brake was applied at the trailer. The trailer brake did come on however when the manual brake button was pressed. (The trailer has a standard RV magnetic brake system).
I took the vehicle to a Honda dealer who said it was missing a harness (due to the remote kick detector system), they charged me $350 to fit and check the harnesses and wiring. They said they could see 12V being sent to the brake controller when the brake pedal was being pressed but the output from the controller to the trailer would only briefly show some voltage and then go to zero. They explained it is a compatibility problem between the vehicle and the brake controller and I should try a different controller.
So I then when to local outstore and purchased another controller, then back to the RV dealer who fitted it - still the same problem. This one was a Napa brake controller from Hopkins. So I am at a loss except to keep trying different brake controllers.
I have now purchased a Reese Brakeman IV from O'Reillly and also ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 in case that doesn't work. I will see if I have any luck with these tomorrow. My last resort will be a Curt Spectrum ($219!!) if neither of those work.
I would be keen to know what type of brake controller anyone has sucessfully got to work with 3rd gen Pilot.
Any input greatfully recieved!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interested in any updates you may have found out. I just test drove a 2020 and will be needing a brake controller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interested in any updates you may have found out. I just test drove a 2020 and will be needing a brake controller.
good news - the Reese Brakeman IV from O’Reilly worked! Thank goodness!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,726 Posts
Your dealer may say that Honda does not recommend a brake controller but Honda does. Sounds to me like you dealers service department is staffed by Idiots. From the Owners Manual......

This is actually a simple DIY that either the dealer or the RV dealer could have taken care of with no issues at all. The electric brake controller wires, pictured above, should have come with the vehicle or the trailer hitch kit when it was installed. It's literally pug and play after connecting the harness to the controller again as pictured above..

Glad you have it working. Did someone explain to you or adjust the controller properly for you with the trailer. If not, either learn how to adjust the brake controller, best thing to do, or have it adjusted. Also read the entire section in the Owners Manual on towing a trailer.

I am also going to suggest that you look at something like this. (watch the video) I have a larger version as my tower is a 3/4 ton PU, but this would make adjusting between trailers and adjusting tongue weight much easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good news - the Reese Brakeman IV from O’Reilly worked! Thank goodness!
I read the previous thread on recommendations for a brake controller that will work with my rig. I have 2019 Touring pilot AWD with dealer fitted hitch and transmission cooler. I will be towing an RV travel trailer but I am having huge problems getting a brake controller that works and getting bounced between Honda and the RV dealer. Honda says it does not provide or recommend a brake controller for the Pilot (that seems wrong - they should not offer a vehicle with 5,000 lbs towing capacity and not support any option for a brake controller). The RV dealer fitted a brake controller (Quest). But it did not work. They tried a second one, in case it was an issue with that unit (same model) and it also did not work
Symptoms were: unit was wired up and light up correctly but when brake pedal was pressed it went off and no brake was applied at the trailer. The trailer brake did come on however when the manual brake button was pressed. (The trailer has a standard RV magnetic brake system).
I took the vehicle to a Honda dealer who said it was missing a harness (due to the remote kick detector system), they charged me $350 to fit and check the harnesses and wiring. They said they could see 12V being sent to the brake controller when the brake pedal was being pressed but the output from the controller to the trailer would only briefly show some voltage and then go to zero. They explained it is a compatibility problem between the vehicle and the brake controller and I should try a different controller.
So I then when to local outstore and purchased another controller, then back to the RV dealer who fitted it - still the same problem. This one was a Napa brake controller from Hopkins. So I am at a loss except to keep trying different brake controllers.
I have now purchased a Reese Brakeman IV from O'Reillly and also ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 in case that doesn't work. I will see if I have any luck with these tomorrow. My last resort will be a Curt Spectrum ($219!!) if neither of those work.
I would be keen to know what type of brake controller anyone has sucessfully got to work with 3rd gen Pilot.
I am looking at the CURT Spectrum Brake Control so I won't have the control to be hitting my knees on. Hope it will work for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am using a Tekonsha Primus IQ Break Controller on my 2020 EX-L that I had my local trailer repair shop install after Honda installed the Hitch, 7 way wiring and transmission cooler. Honda didn't know anything about the break controller but showed me the pages in the Manual. There was an extra cable that came with the 7 way wiring harness from Honda that the shop used. This the same Break controller that I was using on my 2003 Pilot for the last 6 years. No problems with the installation. I did have to replace the 7way plug from Honda that had 3 of the plastic clips that hold the plug into the plastic receiver that they broke and was unable to get the trailers 7way female to line up, It would just push the plug out of the back of the receiver. Thanks Honda... I could of had all of the work done for 1/2 the price at my repair shop but it would have voided the warranty. Thanks again Honda...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Redarc controller installed in my 2017 Pilot touring. Nothing to hit your knees on and the knob to adjust it is right beside the steering wheel. Looks like original equipment

Easy to use and adjust -a little pricier than the Tehonsha in my 2006 pilot - but both works great!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a Redarc controller installed in my 2017 Pilot touring. Nothing to hit your knees on and the knob to adjust it is right beside the steering wheel. Looks like original equipment

Easy to use and adjust -a little pricier than the Tehonsha in my 2006 pilot - but both works great!
I have the Redarc in my Tacoma - love it!! The only part that shows is the control button(far right in the pic)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2019 Pilot Touring. Oddly enough I had the OEM towing package installed (hitch harness and trans cooler) and was told the harness will work as a brake controller. Is my dealer service rep wrong???? I found on etrailer a Autowbrake controller that mounts to the trailer and gets its signal from the brake lights. Has a fob that you keep in the car to adjust settings. That’s my option if the dealer was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
I also have a 2019 Pilot Touring. Oddly enough I had the OEM towing package installed (hitch harness and trans cooler) and was told the harness will work as a brake controller. Is my dealer service rep wrong???? I found on etrailer a Autowbrake controller that mounts to the trailer and gets its signal from the brake lights. Has a fob that you keep in the car to adjust settings. That’s my option if the dealer was wrong.
Yes they are wrong. You have to have a brake controller to control the brakes on a trailer. The harness will transmit the controller signal to the trailer brakes. Personally I am not fond of brake controllers that are attacked to the trailer as you generally can't see the settings you are at if you need to make adjustments as well as tell exactly where you are set at any given time. Plus I would hate to be going down a hill in the Rockies, need to adjust my brake settings and find out the fob has a dead battery.

This is a very popular controller that you mount in the cab and can give it an OEM appearance. You wiring kit should have come with a 4 wire plug in that is attached to the controller and plugged in under the dash.

This is another popular controller similar to the Curt. I have no experience with Redarc, but they get many good reviews.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking at the CURT Spectrum Brake Control so I won't have the control to be hitting my knees on. Hope it will work for me.
I just installed the CURT Spectrum (51170) using their C51392 wiring adapter to plug into my 2018 EX. I mounted the module on the parking brake bracket as there was already a hole for a 1/4 x 20 bolt I used to secure it. I placed some rubber washers between the bracket and module to counter the lip of metal on the bracket. I can drill another hole but for now, the one bolt appears sturdy enough. I placed the module so the little switches are facing out in case you want to adjust them later. Thanks to Cochbr (Aug 2018) for his suggestion to pull out the panel to the left of the steering wheel. Very easy to do and it just pushes back in. That gives you access to the mysterious location of the Honda electric brake port and allows you to see where to drill the holes for the LED control knob. I placed mine next to the Econ switch. Now. here is a tip CURT should include. The LED rotary knob in the kit already has the adhesive mount base plate on it. If you are going to do the drill mount option, you have to pry off that base plate with a small screwdriver, and use the other base plate in the kit. They do not mention that in their instruction book or their on-line instructions. Luckily, their install video showed taking that adhesive base plate off. I bought my controller from E-Trailer but their price for the CURT Honda wiring adapter was over twice the price suggested by CURT so I ordered it from a local CURT dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes they are wrong. You have to have a brake controller to control the brakes on a trailer. The harness will transmit the controller signal to the trailer brakes. Personally I am not fond of brake controllers that are attacked to the trailer as you generally can't see the settings you are at if you need to make adjustments as well as tell exactly where you are set at any given time. Plus I would hate to be going down a hill in the Rockies, need to adjust my brake settings and find out the fob has a dead battery.

This is a very popular controller that you mount in the cab and can give it an OEM appearance. You wiring kit should have come with a 4 wire plug in that is attached to the controller and plugged in under the dash.

This is another popular controller similar to the Curt. I have no experience with Redarc, but they get many good reviews.
I called to several different dealers that all said there is no brake controller. They even went so far as to say that they could install an aftermarket model controller but it would void the warranty of anything it was connected to. We’re going to use the Autowbrake system to avoid any complications. We are writing a letter to Honda letting them know of the discrepancies we’ve discovered.

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
I called to several different dealers that all said there is no brake controller. They even went so far as to say that they could install an aftermarket model controller but it would void the warranty of anything it was connected to. We’re going to use the Autowbrake system to avoid any complications. We are writing a letter to Honda letting them know of the discrepancies we’ve discovered.
if that were true then
1. Honda would not offer an OEM brake controller wiring harness.
2. If it will void the warranty then when you hook up the after market trailer to the lighting harness you have hooked up an after market time to your Pilot, so does that void your warranty?

It's your vehicle and trailer, but I do not like depending on either a phone or a fob to control my brake controller. I want it at hand in vehicle so I don't have to worry about a lost connection or a dead battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts