Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have been lurking for a couple of months and have found a lot of helpful information. I hope someone can help me with this issue I have. I got my Pilot EXL-RES about 5 weeks ago, with the Webasto moonroof installed prior to delivery. About 3 weeks ago while driving down the road, I noticed the headliner flapping in the breeze. When I looked at it closer, I noticed that the headliner is loose from the backing from the windshield all the way back to the area over the middle seat. Does anyone else have this problem? I have taken it back to the shop that put the roof in and to the dealer and they say that is the way it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't have the RES but I do have an EX L with a Webasto 744. I do have any signs of a loose headliner. I've had mine since November. Try to get a second opinion from another dealer. It is not right somewhere.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jrex said:
Hello all,
I have been lurking for a couple of months and have found a lot of helpful information. I hope someone can help me with this issue I have. I got my Pilot EXL-RES about 5 weeks ago, with the Webasto moonroof installed prior to delivery. About 3 weeks ago while driving down the road, I noticed the headliner flapping in the breeze. When I looked at it closer, I noticed that the headliner is loose from the backing from the windshield all the way back to the area over the middle seat. Does anyone else have this problem? I have taken it back to the shop that put the roof in and to the dealer and they say that is the way it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.
That is not " the way it is".

Some people did complain of loose headliners very early on, so you may have to negotiate between Honda and the sunroof installer.

Best luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
not sure what you mean. How loose are we talking here? The original headliner was basically solid foam on ours. Now, after the moonroof install, they replaced that with a cloth headliner. So it is looser than the original, but it doesn't flap in the wind.

Question for those others with a moonroof. Did your headliner also get replaced with cloth? I just want to make sure. If you aren't sure what I mean, you can check the separation over the 2nd row seat. The rear cargo area should still have the solid headliner and the cloth starts from the separation and goes to the windshield.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Qbrozen said:

Question for those others with a moonroof. Did your headliner also get replaced with cloth? I just want to make sure. If you aren't sure what I mean, you can check the separation over the 2nd row seat. The rear cargo area should still have the solid headliner and the cloth starts from the separation and goes to the windshield.
The headliner does get changed with a sunroof install. I have noticed a slight hump over the 2nd row seat, that has to be part of the retractor unit. As for the rest of the headliner its up tight on the roof, there is no flapping what so ever.

My wife has the car now Qbrozen but I dont remember any separation in the material, I believe its the same material for the entire headliner. I'll check it out for sure this evening and post on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Qbrozen said:
not sure what you mean. How loose are we talking here? The original headliner was basically solid foam on ours. Now, after the moonroof install, they replaced that with a cloth headliner. So it is looser than the original, but it doesn't flap in the wind.
The headliner can be pushed up anywhere from a few centimeters to 1-1 1\2" from the windshield back to just over the 2nd row seats. The hump is there just like tonyrwc says, but the material is the same for the entire headliner. About 4" in front of the hump you can feel where the backing was cut out and you can feel the same thing around the sides of the DVD player.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Turn down Webasto 744 Installation

I'm glad I turn down Webasto 744 Installation back in June. Because of Ridge concern:

VERY GLAD don't have to through that issue.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Re: Turn down Webasto 744 Installation

Res-Pilot said:
I'm glad I turn down Webasto 744 Installation back in June. Because of Ridge concern:

VERY GLAD don't have to through that issue.
I have a744 and have had it since November with no ridge concerns, loose headliner or any other problem. I believe any problems are with the installer, not the moonroof.

·
Registered
305 Posts
hmmm... now I'm a bit worried. So some of you folks still have one solid headliner from the windshield to the back window on your Pilots? And the installer just cut out some of the foam from behind the moonroof area?

I guess I really shouldn't complain too much. Wish they did do something like that, but it really doesn't look too bad. There is one little spot over the rear driver-side door that is a bit kinked, but I think I can fix it if I get adventurous one of these days. Otherwise, the new headliner matches the interior color perfect and even my nitpicking mechanic father thinks they did a good job. I'm even pickier than him, I guess. Maybe if I get to see another install in person one of these days and it looks that much better, than I'll be pissed. For now, my wife is happy and that's what matters.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Turn down Webasto 744 Installation

4603pba said:

I have a744 and have had it since November with no ridge concerns, loose headliner or any other problem. I believe any problems are with the installer, not the moonroof.
4603pba,
Do you have the RES? Who did your installation? I think the installer messed up too, but they are not being too helpful. I spoke with their General Manager yesterday and he did not know how to respond to what I was telling him. I am going to take it to some other installers and Honda dealers to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Qbrozen said:
hmmm... now I'm a bit worried. So some of you folks still have one solid headliner from the windshield to the back window on your Pilots? And the installer just cut out some of the foam from behind the moonroof area?

Qbrozen, I checked headliner last night and it is the same material from frt. glass to rear glass. Are you sure your headliner has 2 different types of material?

·
Registered
305 Posts
tony

I am positive. After I got it home from the installer, I crawled all over the car inspecting the job. From the second row forward is now all cloth. I really didn't even notice it up until the point that I got back in the 3rd row area to see why there was this separation line in the headliner. I didn't know if this separation was there before or not, but the difference in material is obvious when you touch them. Both installers I talked to said they had to replace the headliner, so I just assumed this was what they were talking about. I am disappointed to hear that others have managed to keep their stock headliner with some modification. Its too late for me now, though.

If I had the time at home, I'd take some pics for ya. Don't know if that will happen, though.

My wife says she's keeping the truck forever, so I guess it doesn't matter. And, if selling time ever does come about, I believe only the most knowledgable buyers will know they are looking at an aftermarket unit and even fewer will realize its a different headliner than a stock Pilot. And stressing about it now will do me no good (although I know I'll always be pissed about it anyway, cause that's just my nature :3: ).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Qbrozen, my headliner is not the factory headliner either, the headliner gets replaced with a sunroof installation. It sounded like from your first post that you had 2 types of material ( almost like it was spliced together ) in your headliner. The headliner, while it is not factory, is up nice and tight to the roof, the only exception is the slight hump over the middle seat , my wife who probably is more anal than myself hasn't even noticed it and to tell you the truth it doesn't bother me at all. So as long as it doesn't get any bigger, I don't have a problem with it at all.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
From what I understand replacing the head liner is a matter of luck whne thy do a sun roof.

Making a seam in it is a matter of poor planning or cheapness if they have to replace it.

If they replace it you should not be able to tell without doing a side by side comparison.

The factory type material is available and they shoudlbe installing it in a way that only a true expert would know it was replaced.

As for how I know, this comes from discussions with a sunroof shop, and from replacing the head liner myself on my Range Rover.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My headliner is all cloth, 1 piece all the way back. The GM called me back yesterday and told me that they want to take it back (4th time) and put backing in from the RES unit back to where the backing currently ends. They are picking it up Monday, so I guess I'll have to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I do, in fact, have 2 types of material now. It changes over just over the back of the 2nd row.

The cloth is up tight, though, except, like Tony said, where the hump is (the area that the glass needs to slide into). Maybe that is where the problem lies with the one poster here. They didn't put any foam behind the cloth in the areas of the ceiling where a pocket is not needed. Is this the case?

i was looking at mine again last night and I am pretty much happy with it. Like I've said, its not as perfect as a job as I had hoped for, but, unless you are inspecting it because you suspect its not factory, most folks wouldn't notice the flaws.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have the hump over the 2nd row of seats, but from the hump forward to the RES there is nothing between the headliner and the roof. It looks just fine sitting still or with the windows up, but when you put the windows down and open the roof the headliner flaps in the wind. I will post some pics. I want to get some before and after shots in case they make it look worse than it does now when they fix it next week.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have pics. This is the area over the 2nd row seats. Note the original backing for the headliner around the RES.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This shows the amount of play in the headliner around the RES.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This shows the lack of backing right in front of the line where the headliner is attached to the original backing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts