Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Moog Strut Assembly

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  headknocker 
#1 · (Edited)
Just did front suspension upgrade with all MOOG parts. Lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods. I’m replacing 1 year old Gabriel struts because I think they are bad and I was impressed with the Moog parts that I used. I already purchased MOOGs from RockAuto....then I read that they are hit and miss with quality. Crap!

Has anyone have good luck with MOOG parts?

I really don’t want to replace struts for a 3rd time!!!!!

#2 ·
Well....for now my suspension saga is fixed.

Turns out the Gabriel struts I installed 13 months ago were the culprit of my noise and potential tire cupping. I installed Moog LCA, inner and outer tie rods last week and the noise persisted. I installed Moog struts and it completely took the noise away. I don’t think I’ll ever put a Gabriel product on my cars again. I gave them a chance to make it right and they didn’t stand behind their product.

Moog for the win!

#3 ·
Note to self: Add Gabriel to list of struts to avoid. Monroe is already on that list.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I too will switch to this. Other than the bounce test its there a way to check physically that struts/springs are bad? Mine appears to be more "lifted" in the fronts. Don't see any tire wear per se. Wondering if this is my imagination. Is there a gap distance from tire to fender measurement?

#10 ·
Other than the bounce test its there a way to check physically that struts/springs are bad? Mine appears to be more "lifted" in the fronts
Look for leakage, bent or damage to the housing or strange clunks and noises going over bumps or how the vehicle handles imperfections on the road. If the front appears lifted perhaps you have a sagging rear due to weak worn springs. Tire wear or cupping etc may be evident or take some time to appear to the untrained eye.

#7 ·
I didn't measure it, but I eyeballed a little bit of sag at the time, plus a bit of negative camber, although the latter can be remedied by installing adjustable rear upper control arms.

#8 ·
I'm shopping for parts at RockAuto; for the KYB Strut-Plus there is only 'AWD', not '2WD' or 'FWD'. Is there a difference in the front shocks between the 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive (2008) Pilots?

#9 ·
Not sure but when I enter a 2008 2-wheel drive for that same strut on Amazon or CarID or NAPA, it doesn't show as compatible. Your 2008 FWD also has a slightly different engine configuration in that it has VCM, so there may be some differences (although I can't think of why offhand) for the struts, so I wouldn't risk it without calling them first and getting a straight answer.

#12 ·
Thanks for your advice. I contacted KYB; they show "AWD" because they only have the stiffer spring for the heavier AWD Pilot. I don't really want to stiffen up my ride, so it looks like I will have to buy the strut and 2WD springs (unless I re-use my 175,000 mile springs), and the other parts, separately and then assemble them.

Reactions: plplplpl
#13 ·
Good info. But by the looks of the picture in your signature, you're less light. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.