Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
Monroe Shocks

The Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting rear Shock Absorbers 58645 size is made for the Odyssey rear suspension. But will fit the Pilot with similar rear suspension, But the Monroe web site doesn’t show this 58645 size rear shocks as fitting the Pilot, But If you look at the specs for Pilot replacement rear shocks and the 58645 size rear shocks, they are similar close in specs.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
Specs

"Monroe web site references"
58645 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Adsorber
Product Specifications
Applications Where Used Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004 Rear
Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
Compressed Length 11.360"
Extended Length 17.320"
Travel Length 5.960"
Spring (Rate) 45
Dust Shield Yes
Parts Pack(s) None
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No
Compressed Hydraulic Lockout No
Extended Bumper Stop No
Compressed Bumper Stop No
Dust Shield Material Metal
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
37246/Rear Shock Absorber
Product Specifications
Applications Where Used Honda 2006 Pilot Rear
Upper Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.5/8" Sleeve OAL
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.5/8" Sleeve OAL
Compressed Length 11.500"
Extended Length 16.875"
Travel Length 5.375"
Dust Shield Yes
Parts Pack(s) None
Extended Bumper Stop No

Reactions: 2_Stroke
Interested in your views on the Monroe's now you've put some miles on them.

"Monroe web site references"
58645 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Adsorber
Product Specifications
Applications Where Used Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004 Rear
Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.1/2" Sleeve OAL
Compressed Length 11.360"
Extended Length 17.320"
Travel Length 5.960"
Spring (Rate) 45
Dust Shield Yes
Parts Pack(s) None
Extended Bumper Stop No
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
37246/Rear Shock Absorber
Product Specifications
Applications Where Used Honda 2006 Pilot Rear
Upper Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.5/8" Sleeve OAL
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.5/8" Sleeve OAL
Compressed Length 11.500"
Extended Length 16.875"
Travel Length 5.375"
Dust Shield Yes
Parts Pack(s) None
Extended Bumper Stop No
please keep us informed on ride quality

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Monoroe rear shocks

No more bottoming out or rear end sagging when loaded down with eight and the hitch carrier on and still a smooth ride when empty

Reactions: 2_Stroke
An old thread but also a very useful one. Monroe 58645.. Does anyone have a long-term update using this coil-over shock as far as ride comfort on rough roads including gravel on 1st gen Pilots? Also, has anyone experienced a broken shock chassis mount since these mounts are not really designed to carry weight but now will with the addition of this shocks coil spring? I'm trying to decide between this coil-over shock or Firestone airbags to help reduce my 06 Pilot rear-end squat. I'd be concerned the airbags will wear out or puncture from off-road use. I have already replaced the coil springs with Moog 81649 HD springs but still getting excessive inside rear tire wear. I cannot find worn parts and rear toe-in is in spec but camber is far too negative with any kind of load.

working on this myself right now - 08 - tows alot. not sure where to start - all oem rear susp. w 200,000 mi. - atrocious inner tire wear. where to start, where to start. springs and shocks b4 adjustable camber kits? seems to make sense to me but Im no mechanic and thats an understatement!

Yes... OP's signature shows he has an 06 Pilot... not sure about the year of the oddysey.

I'll dig around a bit more at Amazon, Monroe, Sears, etc... to see if numbers are the same for 03/04 and his 06. Clearly his pics show this uber-cool shock fits 06's.
58645 load adjuster fits 1999-2004 Odyssey, no listing for Pilot but if you match up sizes, it works. Will be installing on 08 Pilot EX-L soon

I put these on an 07 EX-L three weeks ago and my god what a difference. I was still running the OEM Honda's at 162K miles. Car came from Illinoise and all the fasteners were rusted to hell. I Ugga'd one too many Duggas to get the top bolt out on the driver's side and popped the welded nut off. Other than that installation was easy with a floor jack supporting the knuckle to get the shock mounted.

Now the sag is completely gone! I picked up 3/4" ride height in the rear just from these. Still OEM coil springs and bump stops in the rear and original strut assemblies up front. Need to do get to those next.

Will try and get some photos up shortly.

I put these on an 07 EX-L three weeks ago and my god what a difference. I was still running the OEM Honda's at 162K miles. Car came from Illinoise and all the fasteners were rusted to hell. I Ugga'd one too many Duggas to get the top bolt out on the driver's side and popped the welded nut off. Other than that installation was easy with a floor jack supporting the knuckle to get the shock mounted.

Now the sag is completely gone! I picked up 3/4" ride height in the rear just from these. Still OEM coil springs and bump stops in the rear and original strut assemblies up front. Need to do get to those next.

Will try and get some photos up shortly.

Old Shock Before Removal:
*161k miles original -> Shock had no rebound whatsoever, compressed manually it just stayed there for 20 minutes :LOL:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Welded Nut Rusted Through, PB Blastered before I strip it:

Jaw Sculpture Artifact Art Wood

Welded Nut Stripped and Spinning - Locking pliers torqed down to hold it while the impact got it off:
Automotive tire Rim Wood Gas Tints and shades

New Shock Installed
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Automotive exterior

Sideview three weeks after install (All back seats removed):
*Still 3/4" gain in ride height on rear with seats removed

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts