Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not seen this here (although it might be buried somewhere....), and thought someone else might find it useful. It's possible to monitor the ATF temp without installing anything inline directly using an XGauge compatible scanner. I use the ScanGauge II, which connects to the OBD2 port in the car and sits in the little bin in the middle of the center stack nicely.

Here are the XGauge codes for the ATF temp sensor (found on an Odyssey forum):

Transmission Fluid Temperature
TXD: 1DF1222201
RXF: 032400000000
RXD: 2808
MTH: 00090005FFD8
NAM: ATF

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should work on '07 and above. '06 and earlier used a different protocol. (I have a '15.)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yes, some in the Odyclub have said to get this working. I tried this and failed...ended up with an inline temp sensor.

Post pics of your scan gauge showing the trans temp...must see!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are photos of mine, showing the ATF temperature.

Auto Trans Fluid: top-right
Water temp: bottom-right (lower than it really is - I have a VCMuzzler)
rpm: top-left
real-time mpg: bottom-left

mount (first photo): shows where it's sitting. The red arrow points to the ATF temp on the ScanGauge, and the blue arrow points to my brake controller - the OBD II port is right behind it. You can see the ScanGauge cable going there.

start: shows the temperatures right after starting the car in the morning (matching the temperature inside my garage).

interstate: ATF temperature after (and while) driving on the interstate for about 15 miles, at 70 mph, in very light traffic.

stopandgo: Later in the day, ATF temperature after doing some stop and go driving while going to the mall after work, this was after spending some time on the interstate to get there.

This was just my drive to work and back, plus the mall, today - 30 miles one way, mostly flattish interstate, so nothing that would have made it truly work hard. I've not yet towed since getting the gauge so that should be interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Those temps look legit...at least compared to what I saw.

Question now is, is that temp sensor at the inlet (cooled ATF) or the outlet of the trans (Hot, at work ATF). The Odyclub guys may already know this, but its important to know when monitoring temps. The outlet temps might scare some, but they should not, because the fluid is at this extreme for only seconds before its cooled again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can these values be read through a WiFi OBD-II device (like ELM-327)? If so, are the codes here (TXD: 1DF1222201, etc) generic OBD-II or specific ScanGuage?

Also would you expect these to work on the 2016 Pilot? I am new to OBD-II, just got an ELM-327 today and played with it a bit on my new 2016 Pilot using DashCommand. Want to monitor ATF temp for towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I figured this out and got it to work.
From Transmission Temperature with Torque app and ELM327 I got the following:
- Mode and PID: 222201
- Name: Transmission Temp
- Minimum: -40
- Maximum: 300
- Scale factor: x1
- Unit type: F
- Equation: AA*(9/5)-40
I used a Wifi ELM 327 OBD-II controller and the IPhone App EngineLink Engine Link - OBD II vehicle monitoring and diagnosis.

It fired up with 80F which is at least plausible. Haven't driven yet but will soon see what it does and if it remains plausible.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I think I figured this out and got it to work.
From Transmission Temperature with Torque app and ELM327 I got the following:
- Mode and PID: 222201
- Name: Transmission Temp
- Minimum: -40
- Maximum: 300
- Scale factor: x1
- Unit type: F
- Equation: AA*(9/5)-40
I used a Wifi ELM 327 OBD-II controller and the IPhone App EngineLink Engine Link - OBD II vehicle monitoring and diagnosis.

It fired up with 80F which is at least plausible. Haven't driven yet but will soon see what it does and if it remains plausible.
Please confirm when you feel you really locked into the ATF temp...cause the Torque App is aaaawwwwwesome. Many people will want to have and use this info!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X2! The reason I went the route I did was I couldn't find anything describing how to use an ELM327 (which I also have) and Torque.

Update for mine: I don't know where the ATF temp sensor is. I'm hoping it's at the transmission outlet. I just finished a tow from home to NJ and back (~1200 miles round-trip). We do this trip annually. On rolling hills the temperature would vary from 195 to 205. On some of the longer hills approaching the tunnels in PA (westbound approach to Blue Mountain, for instance) it would climb up into the teens. On one hill it hit 224 (PA 31 between Donegal and Kooser SP, which has a 3 mile pull that hits 11%).

That's high enough that it's concerning if it's not at the transmission outlet.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
X2! The reason I went the route I did was I couldn't find anything describing how to use an ELM327 (which I also have) and Torque.

Update for mine: I don't know where the ATF temp sensor is. I'm hoping it's at the transmission outlet. I just finished a tow from home to NJ and back (~1200 miles round-trip). We do this trip annually. On rolling hills the temperature would vary from 195 to 205. On some of the longer hills approaching the tunnels in PA (westbound approach to Blue Mountain, for instance) it would climb up into the teens. On one hill it hit 224 (PA 31 between Donegal and Kooser SP, which has a 3 mile pull that hits 11%).

That's high enough that it's concerning if it's not at the transmission outlet.
Actually, not bad numbers...inlet or outlet of the trans. Todays ATF handles a much higher temp range than what you find charted on the internet, mainly because everything is synthetic now.

Approaching 300, not you're talking high temp!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did a test drive from Portland to the coast and the numbers I got are at least plausible. At startup the ATF was exactly ambient. After getting up to temperature it stayed in the range 165F to 185F and was always about 10-20F lower than the engine coolant temperature. Not towing anything, 4 people and luggage in car. So the numbers seem plausible and different from engine coolant. Will report back when I do some towing in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Todays ATF handles a much higher temp range than what you find charted on the internet, mainly because everything is synthetic now.
Out of curiosity, are you referring to aftermarket ATF, or the Honda brand fluid?

There was some debate as to whether or not Honda ATF was a synthetic formula in Armystrong's DIY thread. He was claiming that Honda ATF was not synthetic and was advocating use of one of the Valvoline formulas, because it was a synthetic. Then Valvoline seemed to backtrack on the claim that it met Honda's requirements, so he changed to a different Valvoline product. Then he sold his Pilot, thereby ending the discussion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw what Fredw did with his 2016 PILOT and I would do the same with my 2104 PILOT. I want to monitor my ATF temp with my iphone using an OBD II wi-fi interface. Is there anybody who did that successfully ?? Since there are a lot of different gizmos available in the web, I'm interrested to know the following:
- Which OBD 2 wi-fi interface (which model...there are many out there)
- Which iphone app
- Which PID code for ATF temp on 2014 Honda PILOT

Many thanks !

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Error in the equation ???

Fredw:

Is that me or there is an error in the formula you entered in Engine Link?

My understanding is that formula is silely used to convert celcius to F, so it should be:

AA*(9/5)+32......not -40

This leads to a delta error of 72 F !

Am I wrong ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nicklaus, I have not yet towed. But, I did report earlier on another thread my experiences on the drive from Portland to San Jose (reported ambient at startup, 190 most of the time, 210 over the highest pass while it was 95F outside). So, these numbers seem plausible. I don't think they would make sense if 72F higher. And, since it started up at ambient, I think the offset is correct. If it is meant to be a C->F conversion, you are right that +32 would make more sense. And, the 9/5 does sound like C to F. So, I am not sure at all but suspect the formula is correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PID and formula confirmed for ATF

For the record, With my PILOT Touring 2014, I validated the ATF temperature reporting with the App Engine Link at PID 222201 with the formula AA*(9/5)-40 and it looks ok. This morning the ambiant temperature was 62 F so were the engine coolant and ATF. During warm-up, coolant temperature rises quicker than ATF, due to the thermostat and stabilize at 175 F. For the ATF, it warms up slowly to stabilize around 140 F by riding around at 60 MPH and also city traffic.

I wonder where the formula and PID address came from ? The munufacturer does not seem to share easily these information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, it's quiet around here. I'll update my recent towing experience anyway. I towed my 4000 lbs Jayco X19H (loaded) with my Pilot Touring 2014 (with my 3 kids and wife) in a very hilly terrain with long slopes of 8-9%. Outside temp betwwen 14 and 20 deg celcius. The ATF temp (with app engine Link and wifi device) showed temp between 150F and 230F at its peak during long steep slopes. The average was about 180-200F. I'm relieved that the ATF temp is kept in check in this "severe" application for a mid-size SUV. The moderate ambiant temp helped a lot I guess. For the record.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's the current (as of 3/19) code for Transmission Temp on the ScanGaugeII. I have to upgrade my unit for $25 before it will work <sad trombone> Upgrade

1 - 20 of 22 Posts