Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a issue with my 2016 Honda pilot elite. We have a slight mold smell coming from the sunroof area so we think. The smell is faint until we open the sun shades on the roof. When you roll the windows down it's gets worse due to air moving around in the cabin. Has anyone experienced this before? No wet carpets, or headliner. Owned for about 2 months and had the issue since owning.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Where is the drain tube located? What’s the best way to clean it out
It a little rubber flexible spout under the firewall. Sometimes just moving it will get it flowing. Air hose works.
Before turning car off each time, Change the setting of the AC to outside air. This will allow the moisture to air out. Mold smell will usually go away on it's own after a few days.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Don't forget to check under your floor mats. There are threads about wet carpet by the VIN plate on passenger side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it inside the car? I’ve looked online and some cars have a line
Don't forget to check under your floor mats. There are threads about wet carpet by the VIN plate on passenger side.
thanks guys! I’ll look into everything this week. I’m going to buy evaporator cleaner and try putting it through the drain line to see if that helps. The drain line does work so it might be the dreaded dirty sock smell people get with a dirty evaporator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright guys did some poking around today the smell is definitely coming from the sunroof. I got up in the sunroof area with it open and smelled around and it’s coming from the drain holes. How can I clean them out and make the smell go away. Super strong and foul sour water smell

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dead cicadas? 😀 Try pouring a small amount of water down the sunroof drain. You should see it immediately exit right behind the front wheel. If it flows freely, its probably not the sunroof drains. I’d suspect a wet headliner from the roof rail seam if it’s not the sunroof drains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
poured hot white vinegar down the tubes, followed by great value mold and mildew killer, flushed with hot water. Smell was coming from the corners where the holes were. I was sniffing around pretty good lol. Neighbors probably think I’ve lost my mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dead cicadas? 😀 Try pouring a small amount of water down the sunroof drain. You should see it immediately exit right behind the front wheel. If it flows freely, its probably not the sunroof drains. I’d suspect a wet headliner from the roof rail seam if it’s not the sunroof drains.
No cicadas in Eastern Kentucky for some odd reason lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts