Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
With Hands Free Power Tailgate Adapter 08L91-TG7-100C on nationwide backorder, had anyone attempted to modify original adapter? How hard would it be to install "short" version after hitch is installed? As summer is marching on I really need to put hitch in :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think that's something that can be done. But yes, the nationwide backorder sucks ass. Especially since there were some available on eBay that sold just a few days before I actually started trying to find one at a normal retailer...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the hitch bar and controller kit were burning a hole in my garage floor while sitting in cardboard box :) and I had decided not to wait for short antennas adapter. Now I am happy to report that original long antennas that come with Pilot do work just fine if routed over and under the installed hitch. I had to use a liberal amount of reinforced gorilla tape to secure it but in the end all works just fine.
So if some folks still waiting for backorder on 08L91-TG7-100C to clear - do not just go with original antennas.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Are they actually in stock? That place never updated their webpage when it was backordered and other sites still show them being backordered. Either way, if you already have have the handsfree sensor it's a waste of $80 to get the adapter since the original sensors work just fine when routed around the hitch.
Is it in stock? They are only an email away: Contact Us | Honda Parts Online

As for needing it, I guess you will find out for sure once you put the hitch and harness on.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Obsidian Blue
41 Posts
So the hitch bar and controller kit were burning a hole in my garage floor while sitting in cardboard box :) and I had decided not to wait for short antennas adapter. Now I am happy to report that original long antennas that come with Pilot do work just fine if routed over and under the installed hitch. I had to use a liberal amount of reinforced gorilla tape to secure it but in the end all works just fine.
So if some folks still waiting for backorder on 08L91-TG7-100C to clear - do not just go with original antennas.
Is there any chance you could post pictures of your workaround? I am facing the same problem, have hitch and wiring harness, but no adapter. Dealer says can't install without the modified adapter. Would love to see how you or anyone else modified it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Obsidian Blue
41 Posts
Yeah, not in stock. And I, like others, just installed the hitch and routed the existing antennas around it...it's working fine.
Did you used gorilla tape or some other means to fasten the antennas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi folks,
With Hands Free Power Tailgate Adapter 08L91-TG7-100C on nationwide backorder, had anyone attempted to modify original adapter? How hard would it be to install "short" version after hitch is installed? As summer is marching on I really need to put hitch in :)
I have one for sale in the classifieds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts