1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
393 Posts
What about warmer climates? Don't manufacturers typically recommend thicker oil for 90F+ weather?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot4Biking said:
What about warmer climates? Don't manufacturers typically recommend thicker oil for 90F+ weather?
Honda recommends 5W20 at all temperatures.

Newer engines run at a much more constant temperature relative to ambiance temperature changes.

0w20 is an acceptable substitute for 5w20, as it will always be within the viscosity limits. It will just be a little thinner at low temperatures. (this is a good thing)

·
Registered
393 Posts
N_Jay said:

Newer engines run at a much more constant temperature relative to ambiance temperature changes.

0w20 is an acceptable substitute for 5w20, as it will always be within the viscosity limits. It will just be a little thinner at low temperatures. (this is a good thing)
Cool, thanks. Guess I'm just used to the big chart in my BMW manual for 5 different temerature ranges for different oils.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
MG Pilot said:
http://insightownersclub-org.mycoolinternet.net/ideainsightdriversenthusiastassociation/id11.html

You will be able to get this at your local Wal-Mart soon...

I'm switching at my next oil change.
It will be interesting to see if they hike the price, similar to the extra that is being charged for the 5W20 over the 5W30!!!

I'll stick with 5W30 for the difference in price. I have seen ZERO difference in mileage since switching from the 5W20 to 5W30.

I would expect similar results when using the synthetics (between 0W20, 5W20 and 5W30.

Why pay extra for nothing in return?

YMMV

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
N_Jay said:

Cool, thanks for the info, N_Jay. Then, what do you think about using OEM 5W-20, as is recommended, just during the summer months and then switch over to 0W-20 during the bone chilling cold winter months over here until Mobil1 comes out with full synth 5W-20?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, Mobil1 is NOT coming out with a 5W20. Hence the reason they are coming out with the 0W20. Read the link I attached.

Also, regarding the price. The new 0W20 is $4.77 per qt vs. $3.65 per qt for 5W30 at my local Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently went to a different Honda dealer to get my oil changed. They used Pennsoil instead of Mobil which was used at my other dealer. Is this bad? Do you think it made any difference at all?

thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Accoding the oil analysis I've seen, the Pennzoil 5W20 won't be bad as long as you're changing at 3k.
It is not a bad oil, although I like Castrol better.

I'm still debating on the Mobil-1 0W-20 vs the 5W-30. The viscosity of the 5W-30 is really really close being a heavy 20wt oil which I'd prefer.

Anyhow, this discussion should be interesting to watch.......

Ted

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Ted said:

Anyhow, this discussion should be interesting to watch.......
Ted
The oil discussion is always interesting. Lots of opinions, few facts, and plenty of emotion!

Sort of like a "Family Meeting"

:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
N_Jay said:
The oil discussion is always interesting. Lots of opinions, few facts, and plenty of emotion!

Sort of like a "Family Meeting"
LOL! Well, we just go straight for our throats and the let the in-laws clean up the mess.:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ted said:
Accoding the oil analysis I've seen, the Pennzoil 5W20 won't be bad as long as you're changing at 3k.
It is not a bad oil, although I like Castrol better.

I'm still debating on the Mobil-1 0W-20 vs the 5W-30. The viscosity of the 5W-30 is really really close being a heavy 20wt oil which I'd prefer.

Anyhow, this discussion should be interesting to watch.......Ted
You do bring up some good points though, especially seeing as how Mobil1 won't be coming out with a 5W-20. I've heard people say that they'd rather use 5W-30 than 0W-20, especially in hot weather.

I'm thinking of using just the OEM oil during the summer, since my oil change interval's at 5,000KM (3,100mi) and the 0W-20 during the winter months. But who knows, my plans always have a way of turning out to be flawed or just downright stupid.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
MG Pilot said:
First off, Mobil1 is NOT coming out with a 5W20. Hence the reason they are coming out with the 0W20. Read the link I attached.

Also, regarding the price. The new 0W20 is $4.77 per qt vs. $3.65 per qt for 5W30 at my local Wal-Mart.
I assume this was in response to my post about pricing. I did read your post and my comment was simply to emphasize the fact that the oil companies are charging more for 5W20 than they are for 5W30 - possibly for a good reason - but more likely just because auto makers are now playing the 5W20 game to get their MPG averages up. Your Wal-MArt pricing above seems to support my thinking....

YMMV

:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you have not had enough oil chat yet, check out this web site:

www.bobistheoilguy.com

The site is devoted to oil, filters and other lubricants. There are many informative threads on 5W-20, 0W-20, dino and synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
ck55 said:
If you have not had enough oil chat yet, check out this web site:

www.bobistheoilguy.com

The site is devoted to oil, filters and other lubricants. There are many informative threads on 5W-20, 0W-20, dino and synthetic oil.
Ha Ha!!! Having belonged to many motorcycle email lists over the years, I have had more than my share of oil AND tire threads! These two items are right near the top of the "Most controversial" topic list. :eek:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought some last night and will be doing the first oil change on my Accord soon. It was specifically made for newer Fords and Hondas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Folks,

There is another 5W20 thread: http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189&highlight=tat

I remember when car manufacturer first recommended the 5W30 oil in the mid-80s,
some people at that time thought they are simply not thick enough for proper engine protection.

I later read from the Honda msg board that Honda engine might not get proper lubrication if grade 40 oil is used instead of grade 30.
Honda designed the engine to use 30 oil, so the space between engine parts are not really enough for grade 40 oil to properly
flow though to form a protective layer. The use of thicker engine oil actually shorten the life of the Honda engines.

I try to find the section in the Pilot manual saying that it is OK to use 5W30 grade oil but I can't.
Can some one tell me which page in the manual mentions "it is OK to use 5W30 when 5W20 is not available" ?
I will use 5W30 only if Honda said it is OK... but I can not find it in the temperature/oil chart in the manual.

Thanks
Tat

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tatng said:
Folks,

There is another 5W20 thread: http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189&highlight=tat

I remember when car manufacturer first recommended the 5W30 oil in the mid-80s,
some people at that time thought they are simply not thick enough for proper engine protection.

I later read from the Honda msg board that Honda engine might not get proper lubrication if grade 40 oil is used instead of grade 30.
Honda designed the engine to use 30 oil, so the space between engine parts are not really enough for grade 40 oil to properly
flow though to form a protective layer. The use of thicker engine oil actually shorten the life of the Honda engines.

I try to find the section in the Pilot manual saying that it is OK to use 5W30 grade oil but I can't.
Can some one tell me which page in the manual mentions "it is OK to use 5W30 when 5W20 is not available" ?
I will use 5W30 only if Honda said it is OK... but I can not find it in the temperature/oil chart in the manual.

Thanks
Tat
You can't find it because it's not there...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
MG Pilot said:

You can't find it because it's not there...
I would have to look again, I thought it was, but that might have been on CR-V manual.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
N_Jay said:

I would have to look again, I thought it was, but that might have been on CR-V manual.
FWIW, I would have no reservations about using either 5W30 or 0W20 synthetic.

BUT, if you do decide to follow to the letter, here is what is stated on the AHM link:

"What about synthetic motor oils?
You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for conventional motor oil; energy conserving, a service classification of SJ and the proper weight as shown on the chart in the Engine Oil section of your Owner's Manual.
When using synthetic oil, you must follow the oil and filter change intervals given in the maintenance schedule. "

Since the manual calls for 5W20, this would lead people to believe the 0W20 syn cannot be used.

Ya think??

:eek:

IMHO, the added cost of using synthetics in this application do nothing. I use it in my motorcycle - but for a totally different reason (wet clutch).

YMMV

1 - 20 of 89 Posts