Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Piloteers,

I purchased a Mobil 1 Oil Filter Part Number M1-110A based upon several comparison tests with several oil filters that I have watched. (I have not installed my new filter but have confirmed that the one I received is the high quality old version.)

Then I saw this on YouTube:
(This guy is quite animated in his anger at Mobil 1.)

I called Mobil 1 customer service to ask if in fact they have changed the construction of Mobil 1 oil filters.
(919-926-4210) (Select option 1) This is a temporary number they instituted because of covid.

The customer service agent confirmed that Mobil 1 has changed "Manufacturing facilities" for their filters.

I found out that Mobil 1 filter were made by Wixx in the USA. The YouTube video shows metal end caps and center tube.

Now they are South Korean manufacture and no longer have the metal end caps and center tube. From the YouTube video it's obviously a cheaper filter to manufacture.

The Mobil 1 customer service representative siad they the new fitlers will perform as well as the old ones. I replied that I have no oil analysis tests to confirm my suspicions but that the new filters are OBVIOUSLY cheaper to manufacture.

The customer service representative assured me that someone will be back in touch with me.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Do you change your own oil/filter then? Good
Do you change the filter every oil change? Me too, good.
Do you use extended > 5K miles between changes?
I have used Mobil 1 oil, and used it exclusively for many years up until recently.
I use the Super Tech Wal Mart brand oil filters and have for years, no problems.
For the price of an oil analysis, I just change it- usually 3-5K miles.
YMMV

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
OK, I watched the fist 30 seconds of so of the video.

I'm not doing extended intervals on my filter changes.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Why would you go to the bother of changing your oil and not change the filter? Makes no sense to me. I always change my oil+filter a couple of times a year usually Spring and Fall to take advantage of the warmer weather and mileage is usually about 5k each time.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Fellow Piloteers,

I purchased a Mobil 1 Oil Filter Part Number M1-110A based upon several comparison tests with several oil filters that I have watched. (I have not installed my new filter but have confirmed that the one I received is the high quality old version.)

Then I saw this on YouTube:
(This guy is quite animated in his anger at Mobil 1.)

I called Mobil 1 customer service to ask if in fact they have changed the construction of Mobil 1 oil filters.
(919-926-4210) (Select option 1) This is a temporary number they instituted because of covid.

The customer service agent confirmed that Mobil 1 has changed "Manufacturing facilities" for their filters.

I found out that Mobil 1 filter were made by Wixx in the USA. The YouTube video shows metal end caps and center tube.

Now they are South Korean manufacture and no longer have the metal end caps and center tube. From the YouTube video it's obviously a cheaper filter to manufacture.

The Mobil 1 customer service representative siad they the new fitlers will perform as well as the old ones. I replied that I have no oil analysis tests to confirm my suspicions but that the new filters are OBVIOUSLY cheaper to manufacture.

The customer service representative assured me that someone will be back in touch with me.
Even some Wix filters are now made in Mexico as well as some OEM Honda parts. Everyone seems to be outsourcing these days.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Why would you go to the bother of changing your oil and not change the filter? Makes no sense to me. I always change my oil+filter a couple of times a year usually Spring and Fall to take advantage of the warmer weather and mileage is usually about 5k each time.
IIRC- I had thought that the charts for the Hondas actually had a recommendation for an every other oil change for the filter?

I think I may have left the filter on once in 12 years on the 08. That sounds better than leaving the filter on for 12 years, right? LOL

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never contemplated not changing a filter during an oil change. (I hope that didn't come across in my post.)
It's difficult for me to imagine anyone changing oil and leaving the filter,.....

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I dropped M-1 Filters when I found out how bad their Extended Performance oil evaporates. No longer felt the need to pay $10 for an oil filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Just did my A16 interval, calling for just engine oil and diff fluid change. Honda maintenance suggests changing the filter every other oil change. Personally I don’t mind, it’s a bitch getting that damn filter off anyway. I’ve had to use the ziploc method to prevent oil from dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was said that Mobil 1 filters were being made by Champion Laboratories.

·
Registered
235 Posts
if it's a leased vehicle, no need to do anything beyond what the manual calls for.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure it was said that Mobil 1 filters were being made by Champion Laboratories.
When I called Mobil 1 customer service and incorrectly selected option number 2, (instead of option 1) I was connected to a lady who had information on Wix filters. When I asked why she could not help me since I had called Mobil 1 Customer Service. I then asked her if Wix made Mobil 1 filters she said: "I believe that we do."

But, we have already established that Mobil 1 has changed manufactures from a USA made product, (Wix I presume) to a South Korean manufacture.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just get the Fram Ultra Synthetic. It's built like a tank and universally gets great reviews.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
I don't understand what the debate is about. If you change your oil and filter regularly, is it super important to get the absolute best filter available?

It seems like people are getting bent out of shape over something so simple.

Also it's not bait and switch to change who manufactures your product. So it makes no sense to get mad at Mobil 1.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
Manufacturers are varying the sources of products. It makes sense not to rely on one source of product just in case they get shut down. As long as the product meets specs, I don’t see an issue.,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't understand what the debate is about. If you change your oil and filter regularly, is it super important to get the absolute best filter available?

Also it's not bait and switch to change who manufactures your product. So it makes no sense to get mad at Mobil 1.
Jack,
You are correct in your statement that it is not bait and switch in terms of who manufactures a company's product.

But context is important.

In this case the context is that Mobil 1 has built a reputation for top notch oil filters. Laypeople and consumer tests have deconstructed Mobil 1 oil filters clearly showing the metal end caps, a metal uniquely designed center tube, and higher quality gaskets that they have used in their relatively expensive oil filters.

When a company changes the entire make-up of a given product, the specific materials involved in the manufacture of that product, that is a betrayal, and the personification of "Bait and Switch."

(Especially knowing that people pay more for the Mobil 1 filter and have come accustomed to the perceived quality of that product and Mobil1 made these changes with no prior notification to their customers.)

I have a Mobil 1 oil filter of the old design ready to go into my 2017 EX-L. The two "New" Mobile 1 filters that I purchased via Amazon just arrived and they are clearly made of different materials. (Most notably plastic-like materials replacing metal) They will be sent back and I will not be used Mobil 1 filters ever again.

I don't know how the new filters will perform. (Or for that matter how the old filters performed as I do not have any tribology or oil analysis to support any claims that I might make.)

I can however say with high confidence that the "New" Mobil 1 filters were definitely less expensive to manufacture given the materials used.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Manufacturers are varying the sources of products. It makes sense not to rely on one source of product just in case they get shut down. As long as the product meets specs, I don’t see an issue.,

Unless the product does not meet the specs.

And while we have no baseline data form the old filters in terms of the tribology there is no way to know if the old products meet a given specification in terms of filtering efficiency as quoted by the manufacture.

But the materials are indeed different, no longer metal, and no longer manufactured in the USA. And the manufacture has not made any claim(s) of a "New and improved" product.

My bottom line for Mobil 1 filters is that they saved some money on materials to gain profit without notifying their customers.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts

Depends upon how you define "regularly".
Certain budget-minded folks are trying to stretch out the length of their oil change interval and seek a (reasonably priced) filter that will give them the confidence to do that.
As for me, the oil in my Pilot gets changed annually, so the filter (and synthetic-blend oil) that the dealer installs doesn't give me much cause for concern. So far, so good after 18+ years.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Depends upon how you define "regularly".
Certain budget-minded folks are trying to stretch out the length of their oil change interval and seek a (reasonably priced) filter that will give them the confidence to do that.
As for me, the oil in my Pilot gets changed annually, so the filter (and synthetic-blend oil) that the dealer installs doesn't give me much cause for concern. So far, so good after 18+ years.
All the cars I've owned and I never really gave it much thought what oil or filter was being used. Each car exceeded 200k miles and never had any engine related problems. Maybe I'm too trusting but oh well.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Unless the product does not meet the specs.

And while we have no baseline data form the old filters in terms of the tribology there is no way to know if the old products meet a given specification in terms of filtering efficiency as quoted by the manufacture.

But the materials are indeed different, no longer metal, and no longer manufactured in the USA. And the manufacture has not made any claim(s) of a "New and improved" product.

My bottom line for Mobil 1 filters is that they saved some money on materials to gain profit without notifying their customers.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Companies change their "formulas" all the time. They have no obligation to notify customers. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean worse and neither does moving manufacturing out of the US automatically mean quality is going to suffer. The filter will still filter your oil. If you're so concerned, install the filter and run it for 5,000 miles. Send in an oil sample and they'll be able to tell you if the oil was filtered well enough.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts