Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switch to Mobil 1 5W30 oil just at yesterday at 6500miles. I notice pilot become a little bit sluggish. :( No wonder Honda use 5w20 oil to improve gas mileage. I bought 5w30 mobil 1 since it was convenience at Walmart (less than $20 for 5qt can). Now I want to switch back to 5w20 synth, even I have to pay $5+ per qt and plus shipping if I have to mail order it.

If anyone know stores carry 5w20 synth oil, please let me know.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Walmart carries Mobil1 0W20, which is made specifically for Hondas and Fords-

·
Registered
608 Posts
not 100% sure, but i think i saw Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic at costco.

·
Registered
920 Posts
iivtecracerii said:
not 100% sure, but i think i saw Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic at costco.
There is no such product...the Mobil1 0W20 is there in its stead.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MG Pilot said:
Walmart carries Mobil1 0W20, which is made specifically for Hondas and Fords-
Not the Walmart I went. Will keep looking at Walmart and Costco

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have been running 5W30 Mobil 1 since the 2nd oil change (have had 3 so far) and I have noticed no difference in power whatsoever. It may have been in my imagination, but it seems to start a little easier and even my wife said that it seemed like it was slightly quieter on acceleration (I would agree).

The only Mobil 1 alternatives are either 5W30 or their 0W20. Of course, Honda does not recommend either one, so I don't see that users of the 0W Mobil could say that they are using Honda recommended oil. I spent a lot of time talking with our independent Honda Mechanic before going to Mobil in the Pilot and he said there really should not be much difference, especially with the Mobil 1 being synthetic. He also builds Honda racing engines for SCCA series, so I do trust his opinion. He also added that the Civic was the 1st Honda to go to 5W20 and he felt that this was a fuel economy thing, and that with the 5W20 being thinner, it would not offer as much long term protection as a 5W30.

Just my humble opinion of course, but I do plan to keep running Mobil 1 in our Pilot.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Attn ALL NON-BELIEVERS>>>PLS READ!!!

Product Description

Mobil 1 0W-20, Power and Performance Formula, is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide the ultimate level of power, and protection to keep engines running smoothly and cleanly. Mobil 1 0W-20 exceeds the requirements of the latest gasoline and diesel powered automobile engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 is the ideal product for high revolution and output four and six cylinder cars.

Features & Benefits

Mobil 1 0W-20 is made with a patented proprietary test blend of ultra performance synthetic basestocks fortified with the most advanced additive system available today. Mobil 1 with Supersyn Antiwear Technology provides unsurpassed levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection to enable a superior driving performance. Mobil 1 0W-20 is a leading edge viscosity grade uniquely designed to enhance the power output of vehicles equipped with high revolution engines, while providing a protection system for the most extreme driving conditions.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W20 is engineered specifically for Ford, Honda and any other vehicle where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 engine oil is recommended. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn OW-20 exceeds API SL/CF, ILSAC GF-3, and the performance requirements Ford WSS-M2C-153H specification. This full synthetic formulation provides both exceptional engine protection while providing more efficient operation as indicated by improved fuel economy or greater power when compared to more viscous products. Key features and benefits include:

Features

Advantages and Potential Benefits
Active cleaning agents Reduces deposits and sludge build-up for the longest and cleanest engine life
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduces oil ageing allowing extended drain interval performance
Enhanced frictional properties Greater fuel economy and increased horse power performance
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quickest cold weather starting
Extended engine and electrical system life
High Viscosity Index and the Supersyn Antiwear Technology Extraordinary lubrication and wear protection performance in all driving styles and conditions
Unsurpassed low and high temperature engine protection

Applications

Mobil 1 0W-20 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, especially high-performance turbo-charged 4 and 6 cylinder gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines including those found in passenger cars, light vans and trucks.
Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications & Approvals

Mobil 1 0W-20 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

ACEA A1,B1
API SL,SJ,EC,CF
ILSAC GF3

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 0W-20

SAE Grade 0W-20
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 43
cSt @ 100º C 8.4
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 165
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.28
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150º C ASTM D 4683 2.61
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -57
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 232
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.855

Health & Safety
Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

The Mobil logotype, the Pegasus design and Mobil 1 with Supersyn are trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation, or one of its subsidiaries.

06-2003

Exxon Mobil Corporation
3225 Gallows Road
Fairfax, VA 22037
1-800-Mobil25 (662-4525)

Due to continual product research and development, the information contained herein is subject to change without notification.
Typical Properties may vary slightly. This product data sheet is based on global product data sheets for use with products purchased in the U.S.
© 2001 Exxon Mobil Corporation. All rights reserved

·
Registered
8 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W20 is engineered specifically for Ford, Honda and any other vehicle where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 engine oil is recommended.
MG Pilot,

After reading this post yesterday, I tried to find the above info at the Mobil website, but could not find the specific Honda info you pointed out. Can u post the link (or PM)?

Besides my wife's Pilot, I also have a TLS, and I have been using 5W30 Mobil1 syn since I cannot get the 5W20 recommended by Honda.

Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with ncelk partially. Yes, I can feel my engine running smoother with less viberation, maybe quietier, yet just need more effort to push it going.

How do you interpret the statement that fuel economy is better with 5W-20? It means you can use less gasoline. Of ocurse, on the other hand, if you switch to 30 grade oil, you will need more gasoline to do the same thing you can do with 5w-20 oil. You have to push gas pedal further down to achieve same goal as before, if that isn't performance loss, what is it?

But the way, I went Costco yesterday, they carry Mobil 1 5w-30 and 10w-30. No 0w-20. I am about ready to order it from internet.

·
Registered
411 Posts
timchen said:

But the way, I went Costco yesterday, they carry Mobil 1 5w-30 and 10w-30. No 0w-20. I am about ready to order it from internet.
I've seem Mobil 0W-20 at:
KMart
Target
AutoZone
Kroger

Amsoil makes a 5W-20, but it's only a 7,500 oil (unlike their other oils that can go 20,000+ miles with filter changes). Amsoil told me that they have not figured out a way to produce a long-term 0W-20, because it just breaks down too quickly due to the low viscosity.

If you decide on using 5W-20 (or heaven forbid the 0W-20), please make sure you change your oil every 3,000 miles!

I personally will be using Mobil 5W-30

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JungleJim said:

Amsoil makes a 5W-20, but it's only a 7,500 oil (unlike their other oils that can go 20,000+ miles with filter changes). Amsoil told me that they have not figured out a way to produce a long-term 0W-20, because it just breaks down too quickly due to the low viscosity.

If you decide on using 5W-20 (or heaven forbid the 0W-20), please make sure you change your oil every 3,000 miles!

I personally will be using Mobil 5W-30
It's not that I decide on 5W-20, it's Honda's decision. And it's your decision to go for 5W-30.
And if honda says their petro base 5w-20 oil is good for 7500miles, I don't see why synth oil need to be changed every 3000 miles.:confused: You are confusing me.

And I hope you are not telling me their TSO serious 2000 oil is 2000miles oil.;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In fact, just check amsoil web site. Their XL-7500 serious is recommanded for 7500 miles change interval while petro based oil is rated for 3000miles change interval.
And XL-7500 serious includes 5w30, 10w30, 5w20, and 10w40. All recommanded for 7500miles change interval.

·
Registered
411 Posts
timchen said:
In fact, just check amsoil web site. Their XL-7500 serious is recommanded for 7500 miles change interval while petro based oil is rated for 3000miles change interval.
And XL-7500 serious includes 5w30, 10w30, 5w20, and 10w40. All recommanded for 7500miles change interval.
Amsoil only makes the 5W-20 available in the XL-7500 series. The other weights are available at in Amsoil's extented drain oils.

Maybe 3,000 miles is extreme, but my point was that a 5W-20 will not offer the same protection as a 5W-30 weight oil.

Some newer Euro cars are requiring a 0W-40 oil. I just can't see the benefits of going below 30.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
timchen said:
I notice pilot become a little bit sluggish. :(
Maybe I'm naive or just plain dense ...:bonk:

... but I believe that as long as you use a multi-grade oil that is within the recommended ranges, there is no perceptible difference in the performance, feel, or sound of the engine.

The low viscosity number only ensures the engine parts get lubricated quickly at startup when the engine is cold. (So, if you have a noisy oil pump, that noise stops quicker.) Thin oil, thick oil, lousy oil, or dirty oil will only affect engine wear and mileage over an extended period. Bottom line is, the engine is either lubricated or it's not. Most engines run great up until a few seconds before they seize.

I'm not saying that some oils are not better than others. What I'm saying is, as the driver, you can't tell the difference. No oil is going to give you better compression or more horse power than another. It's the engine, not the oil. I think oils that claim better mileage are a stretch.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Mobil 1 5w30 rub power

krygny said:

Maybe I'm naive or just plain dense ...:bonk:

Oh, oil makes all the difference.
Surfaces lubricated with different oil viscosity have different resistence level.
Low viscosity oil flows better yet they don't tend to stick/stay on surface. High viscosity oil stick/stay on surface better yet they are not so good about flowing.
Different blend of oil perform differently in terms of cleaning, heat dispate, lubrication... That's why you are not just using any 5w20 oil on you pilot, you have to use API certified 5w20 oil. API is just one of standards. It makes sure oil meets certain minimum requirement in each testing they ran. Remeber, taht's minimum requirement and some oil does outperform others.
General speaking, yes, high viscosity oil does provide better protection since they stick on surface better. So they stands higher temperature, higher stress. Yet, since Honda says API 5W20 oil is good enough to protect their engine, which means a condiction such that require more than 5w20 grade oil won't appear under normal engine operation. If you like to drive you pilot in 120F temperature or 7000rpm, then maybe you need more.
For normal driving, below 100F and within rev limit, higher viscosity oil only means high resistence.
And don't be afraid to drive under 110F hotday, remember your oil exceeds API standard and there is always design margin.

·
Registered
236 Posts
timchen said:

Not the Walmart I went. Will keep looking at Walmart and Costco

Here is the UPC# for Mobil1 0w20 (0 71924 44968), it comes 12 qts to a case. At Wal-Mart its an assembly item (not carried in their warehouse) they should be able to order it and would come in within 2 weeks of them ordering.

I used to work for WM so I know how the ordering process works.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Mobil 1 5w30 rub power

timchen said:

Oh, oil makes all the difference.
Surfaces lubricated with different oil viscosity have different resistence level.
Low viscosity oil flows better yet they don't tend to stick/stay on surface. High viscosity oil stick/stay on surface better yet they are not so good about flowing.

With all due respect, I've never seen an oil change affect the performance of an engine. This view is supported by every knowledgeable mechanic and motorhead I've ever spoken to on the subject.

You say the vehicle became sluggish. I notice that on a regular basis. Other times, the vehicle seems to perform like a rocket. Cars don't behave the same way all the time. Besides marketing claims, you'd be surprised at what people convince themselves of. I've heard many people swear that their car runs better on a full tank of gas than when the tank is empty. The likely reason: the full tank adds weight to the rear, tightens the suspension, and make the car more stable. It rides better, it doesn't run any better.

And since I'm probably getting myself in trouble here, I might as well go all the way. This is JMHO and my understanding of the facts (not marketing claims). I don't mean to disparage anyone's opinion, but I really don't understand the apparent hangup with motor oil, particularly synthetic. My thesis:

Any good quality premium brand that meets the manufacturer's specs will make sure your car dies of something other than engine wear.

I don't even know exactly what they mean by "synthetic" motor oil. Is it made from human waste? I think Mobile1 is graphite based which can be made from coal, petroleum, or I suppose synthesized. All multi-grade motor oils are so extensively refined, processed and loaded with additives, they're mostly chemicals anyway.

<End Of Rant>

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
krygny

I know what I felt. What you think that what I felt may not be true since you are not me.

And the claim that car runs better on full tanks of gas is valid, in some way.
The fact is car runs better on new gas than old gas. When a tank in near empty, the chance are: gas in tank is already a week or two old. Gas tend to loss octane rating over time. My Z is a good example. It runs better on new gas, even I put just half tank new gas. It has nothing to do with weight.
The reason being is I tweaked its timing to get best performance on 91 gas, any thing below it, detonation and computer retard timing automatically. I will get big problem if I put 89 gas into it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Arco graphite-20 years ago

Krygny,you(and maybe me too) are showing your age.Arco Graphite was one of the very early super expensive oils.It did claim to be a syn,and it also had graphite suspended in it.The stuff was so thin by the standards of the day,that it tended to ooze past gaskets!Our motorcycle motors were leaking from all their seams(they were Japanese,but looked Brit,or Harley with all the seepage)!!
I don't think anyone makes a graphite additive oil like that anymore.I haven't seen it in 20+ years.
The oil co. can start with anything that has a carbon chain that-with a lot of chemistry-will give them the molecule they are looking for. Petro Oil is certainly a cheap source of carbon chains,so they probably start with that.
I would guess any good oil in the grade specified will give good engine life.I confess to using Mobil 1(on my Tundra V-8) because I am hoping it will be a tiny bit better,and just in case I get lazy on the change interval(I have always been a sucker for expensive but plausible gimmicks).I probably won't use the 0w20,but will go with the 5w30.It is hot in New Orleans,and out west(AZ,CO,NM) where we are driving to next week on a driving vacation.
Luck,Charlie PS Gave me a laugh remembering that minor fiasco-it was nearly impossible to get the stains from it out of clothing..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts