Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Walmart had this at $45 and then they raised it back to, I think $56 and now it's back down to $45 again. Another close Wally World had it for the higher price also.

What kind of prices are you seeing at your stores? Western Ohio here. Just curious.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Never seen that at my local Wal Mart... guess Mobil 1 is cheap wine now?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Never seen that at my local Wal Mart... guess Mobil 1 is cheap wine now?
I like the price but not convenient. I'd have to save all my old plastic bottles to dispose of the used oil.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I like the price but not convenient. I'd have to save all my old plastic bottles to dispose of the used oil.
I have 4 or 5 oil containers and 4 or 5 coolant containers I keep around for easy disposal of used fluids.

Reactions: Yingy

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I have 4 or 5 oil containers and 4 or 5 coolant containers I keep around for easy disposal of used fluids.
Also, getting the new oil from the bag to the engine will not be convenient. Would you pre-measure?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
I like the idea but the convenience of a 5qt jug is worth it for me. I don’t want to have to think a lot when it comes to measuring. Oil for my car is one of those things I don’t feel the need to cut costs on...its necessary and no way around it.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I like the idea but the convenience of a 5qt jug is worth it for me. I don’t want to have to think a lot when it comes to measuring. Oil for my car is one of those things I don’t feel the need to cut costs on...its necessary and no way around it.
Since I'm currently servicing 9 vehicles, the savings would be significant for me. I would need a shelf and a clean empty oil container to pre-measure. It's a little extra work, but at $3.75 per quart is almost to good to ignore. That's $18.75 for 5 quarts. That is if I still used M1.
I just switched to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. Got it for under $19 per 5 quart jug.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have cats so when the litter jug is empty I take that for a used fluid container. I also liked the price, but the downside is going to be transferring to my empty jug (s). My grandpa used to always use a metal quart container and measured everything in that thing. I might have to give it a try.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have found certain applications I prefer quarts.

1. Using the transmission dipstick to fill the Pilot. The fluid goes in very slow and it's hard to hold the 4 qt just steady over a small funnel for so long.
  2. Filling the '01 325Ci with oil. I can get a large funnel in the oil fill and it takes 7 quarts, that's a lot of time to hold 5 qt jugs and try and be precise.
  3. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting but those are my recent complaints.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I have found certain applications I prefer quarts.

1. Using the transmission dipstick to fill the Pilot. The fluid goes in very slow and it's hard to hold the 4 qt just steady over a small funnel for so long.
Filling the ATF on the 2017 can be a messy job if your not careful. I used a long funnel to reach the dipstick holder but the length did not allow for an easy pour from a 4 quart jug of Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I used a 2nd wide mouth funnel on top of that one to prevent a mess. Even then your constantly wondering if its going in the transmission or out on the drive way.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Filling the ATF on the 2017 can be a messy job if your not careful. I used a long funnel to reach the dipstick holder but the length did not allow for an easy pour from a 4 quart jug of Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I used a 2nd wide mouth funnel on top of that one to prevent a mess. Even then your constantly wondering if its going in the transmission or out on the drive way.
And this is why I always keep a couple large sheets of cardboard handy, perfect for occasions such as this when I have low confidence in my ability to do the job clean.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
And this is why I always keep a couple large sheets of cardboard handy, perfect for occasions such as this when I have low confidence in my ability to do the job clean.
Lol, funny you mention that. I am a borderline hoarder of large cardboard boxes. I'm like, "Don't throw that box away!"

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Lol, funny you mention that. I am a borderline hoarder of large cardboard boxes. I'm like, "Don't throw that box away!"
My wife calls me an old man for it... said it's one of those "you know you're an adult" kind of things when you try to justify keeping cardboard boxes.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 13 of 13 Posts