Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called up Honda Canada's Customer Relations and I was told that all gas sold in Canada has MMT in it as an additive. He said that it's unfortunate that Canada doesn't have any legislation to prevent this, even though the US does.

This is very, very unsettling to me. The manual explicitly says to avoid gas with MMT in it. Do I have to start hauling fuel from the US?? I wonder if my pinging noise that's still tormenting me has anything to do with it. It's really disconcerting hearing this pinging/tapping noise whenever I press on the gas moderately hard.

ablatt, who now drives an X posed a question about MMT over at the X forum, and I've always wondered about MMT as well, so I called up HCCR, only to receive the bad news. There's a very good explanation about what MMT is here, a thread started by ablatt. http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10040

I just want my pinging to go away. I used premium gas for like 3 fill-ups in a row and I still hear the noise. But as I recall, when I had a car with a pinging/knocking/tapping problem, it didn't matter whether I used prem or reg also.

Geeze, and people say Bush is being controlled by the oil money in TX. Canada should be ashamed, or more accurately, the gas producers in this country should be ashamed :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
That is interesting... I do not have any pinging sound, wonder how much of this MMT is added? Honda Canada must have known this was in our gas..

No trouble so far though..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
299 Posts
I had a chat with Honda Canada about my failed EGR Valve. Their answer - blame MMT in our gas. This was sounded strange to me, so I asked how often should I expect to be replacing my EGR Valve if all our Canadian gasoline contains MMT? Got no response.

However, after doing some research I found that Sunoco 94 premium has no MMT, but uses alcohol instead. Not sure which one is better.

The EGR Valve is being replaced on my MDX with 100K km.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Admin, is your EGR replacement being covered under warranty? I think it should be. My service advisor told me that in Canada, the EGR valve is covered under the emission component warranty and that goes up to 150,000KM/6yrs (or was that 7 yrs?). Can't imagine it being any different for Acura.

Sometime it feels as though Honda Canada attributing the EGR valve problem to MMT in our Canadian gas because it's convenient. If what they're claiming is indeed true, then I think it's fair to assume that Canadian Pilots and MDX's have far greater premature EGR valve failures than the US counterparts.

But, I highly doubt that there's too much difference between the percentages of the EGR valve failures in the US and in Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
admin said:
I had a chat with Honda Canada about my failed EGR Valve. Their answer - blame MMT in our gas. This was sounded strange to me, so I asked how often should I expect to be replacing my EGR Valve if all our Canadian gasoline contains MMT? Got no response.

However, after doing some research I found that Sunoco 94 premium has no MMT, but uses alcohol instead. Not sure which one is better.

The EGR Valve is being replaced on my MDX with 100K km.
I don't have a Sunoco up where I live, would you know if Mohawk has this MMT? I know they used to use ethanol in there gas and I think they have recently removed this..

Guess I have some homework to do..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
RipRocK said:
I just called up Honda Canada's Customer Relations and I was told that all gas sold in Canada has MMT in it as an additive. He said that it's unfortunate that Canada doesn't have any legislation to prevent this, even though the US does.



Geeze, and people say Bush is being controlled by the oil money in TX. Canada should be ashamed, or more accurately, the gas producers in this country should be ashamed :mad:
http://home.ica.net/~fresch/ndp/ethylmmt.htm

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/98-3/issue1/mmt.html

Try these links. Canada did have legislation banning MMT. You can thank an American company for successfully challenging the legislation under NAFTA, thus the continued existence of MMT in gas in Canada. Where were you guys when this was going on, it was well publicized at the time?

And for those who think the MMT is causing the "knock" or "ping" you should know that MMT is supposed to reduce "knock" or "ping".

http://www.ukar.org/mmt/mmt01.html
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
299 Posts
Again, my MDX is 100K so it's not covered under regular warranty. But Honda Corp did state that there is no special warranty for EGR Valves. I would love to confirm what your service advisor told you. Next time you talk to him, ask him again. Could it be an Alberta thing?

RipRocK said:
Admin, is your EGR replacement being covered under warranty? I think it should be. My service advisor told me that in Canada, the EGR valve is covered under the emission component warranty and that goes up to 150,000KM/6yrs (or was that 7 yrs?). Can't imagine it being any different for Acura.

Sometime it feels as though Honda Canada attributing the EGR valve problem to MMT in our Canadian gas because it's convenient. If what they're claiming is indeed true, then I think it's fair to assume that Canadian Pilots and MDX's have far greater premature EGR valve failures than the US counterparts.

But, I highly doubt that there's too much difference between the percentages of the EGR valve failures in the US and in Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: MMT Present in All the Gas Sold in Canada!

Scoobs said:


http://home.ica.net/~fresch/ndp/ethylmmt.htm

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/98-3/issue1/mmt.html

Try these links. Canada did have legislation banning MMT. You can thank an American company for successfully challenging the legislation under NAFTA, thus the continued existence of MMT in gas in Canada. Where were you guys when this was going on, it was well publicized at the time?

And for those who think the MMT is causing the "knock" or "ping" you should know that MMT is supposed to reduce "knock" or "ping".

http://www.ukar.org/mmt/mmt01.html
Scoobs, thanks for the links and the insight into this issue. I guess MMT has nothing to do with my pinging/knocking/ratchety noise then.

And I find it appalling that the Canadian gov't just rolled over and let Ethyl have their way with them, without regard for the public health and the environment. I also find Ethyl completely repulsive in their conduct. But what can you expect from a company that thrives by making products that ruin the environment and affect people's health?

But when you look at just how NAFTA has turned out for Canada, I have to wonder if Mulroney was in on something airbus-esque type of arrangement with some companies for him to have signed onto NAFTA. I wouldn't cross the street to coldcock that chin of his.

Look at how unfair the softwood lumber export situation has turned out for Canada. You gotta love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
admin said:
Again, my MDX is 100K so it's not covered under regular warranty. But Honda Corp did state that there is no special warranty for EGR Valves. I would love to confirm what your service advisor told you. Next time you talk to him, ask him again. Could it be an Alberta thing?

:3: :3: :3: :3: Steve's not a happy camper. Serves me right for believing a service advisor. I just looked up my warranty information booklet and the EGR valve is only covered in the emission parts warranty that goes upto 3yrs/60K!!!!!

That phucker...this really pisses me off. But what a stupid I am for just blindly believing what a service advisor told me. I know better. They mean well most of the time, but in the end, I always get screwed. There are emission parts which are actually covered for 7yrs/130K, but EGR valve's not one of them!!

The reason I'm this upset is because when my EGR valve was replaced, the EGR port was never cleaned at all, which is one of the specified duties when replacing the EGR valve. I was right there when it was being replaced and never saw the port get cleaned.

So, I told the service advisor that I wanna bring my Pilot in to have the port properly cleaned after he confirmed with the technician that he didn't clean the port, but he assured me that all the gunk and crud that had accumulated around the port will be burned away as I'm driving my Pilot, now that I have a properly functioning EGR valve. And he also assured me that the EGR valve is covered for 100K, so I shouldn't worry too much about it.

I doubt if he was intentionally trying to deceive me and rather, he probably actually thought that the EGR valve's covered for 100K. But ignorance is not a defense, only my aggravation.

Arrrrrgh!!!!!!!!! :3: :3: :3: :3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,054 Posts
RipRocK - Just remember that Ethyl Corporation sells the MMT under the disguise name of HiTech 3000 to the oil refineries.:D :D :D

-john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Just in case you may not know that Honda had extended EGR warranty for Odyssey, Pilot, MDX up to 8 years/130,000 km in Canada couple of years ago if I recall correctly.
There were many special TSB related to EGR port clogging issue.
I'll try to find old posts in OdyClub, when I get home...

I had have EGR problem (check engine light on and/or TCS light on, from time to time) on my old 2000 Ody in 2003, but dealer replaced it at no charge after confirming Honda issued extended warranty for EGR.
Honda or Toyota mentioned that MMT added gasoline is not recommended because MMT can cause EGR port clogging, believe it or not.
However, in Canada almost every gasoline contains MMT in it, so I have no choice but waiting for EGR problem again in couple of years later on Pilot, duh....
It's a shame for Canadian government that it gave up banning MMT from US company Ethyl in 1998, because of NAFTA, and Ethyl threatened Canada and they won, so, that's why Canada still breathe heavy toxic manganese addtive everyday now, but California succefully banned the use of MMT for all gasoline long time ago.

RipRocK said:

:3: :3: :3: :3: Steve's not a happy camper. Serves me right for believing a service advisor. I just looked up my warranty information booklet and the EGR valve is only covered in the emission parts warranty that goes upto 3yrs/60K!!!!!

That phucker...this really pisses me off. But what a stupid I am for just blindly believing what a service advisor told me. I know better. They mean well most of the time, but in the end, I always get screwed. There are emission parts which are actually covered for 7yrs/130K, but EGR valve's not one of them!!

The reason I'm this upset is because when my EGR valve was replaced, the EGR port was never cleaned at all, which is one of the specified duties when replacing the EGR valve. I was right there when it was being replaced and never saw the port get cleaned.

So, I told the service advisor that I wanna bring my Pilot in to have the port properly cleaned after he confirmed with the technician that he didn't clean the port, but he assured me that all the gunk and crud that had accumulated around the port will be burned away as I'm driving my Pilot, now that I have a properly functioning EGR valve. And he also assured me that the EGR valve is covered for 100K, so I shouldn't worry too much about it.

I doubt if he was intentionally trying to deceive me and rather, he probably actually thought that the EGR valve's covered for 100K. But ignorance is not a defense, only my aggravation.

Arrrrrgh!!!!!!!!! :3: :3: :3: :3:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top