Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this is the maintenance section, but figured I might get better help if I post this here. So, I've read through the manual but I can't find what I am looking for. My '18 Pilot currently says that I have 60% oil life, but I am not able to figure out how to see what my next maintenance is going to be. For instance, in my '13 CRV and the '14 Civic I traded I was able to see the oil life percentage and what maintenance was coming up. Currently my CRV says that I have 60% oil life and when this maintenance comes due I have to do air filters and transmission fluid. What I want to know is how do I see that on the Pilot? All I am seeing is 60% oil life but I am curious if I will have to do the rear diff with the oil change. I hope my question makes sense. I can add pictures of what I am talking about if needed. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posted this is the maintenance section, but figured I might get better help if I post this here. So, I've read through the manual but I can't find what I am looking for. My '18 Pilot currently says that I have 60% oil life, but I am not able to figure out how to see what my next maintenance is going to be. For instance, in my '13 CRV and the '14 Civic I traded I was able to see the oil life percentage and what maintenance was coming up. Currently my CRV says that I have 60% oil life and when this maintenance comes due I have to do air filters and transmission fluid. What I want to know is how do I see that on the Pilot? All I am seeing is 60% oil life but I am curious if I will have to do the rear diff with the oil change. I hope my question makes sense. I can add pictures of what I am talking about if needed. Thanks for the help.
Ah, manual has maintenance schedule...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, manual has maintenance schedule...

Thank you for your very helpful comment. You are most definitely an individual with a plethora of knowledge. I just don't know what I would do without you. If you read my post you would see that I have read the manual. I have been a Honda owner for 7 years and know the MM codes. The issue is that the Pilot isn't showing me anything except oil life %.
Does anyone actually have useful information? Attached is a picture from my CRV and from my Pilot. As you can see the CRV tells me that my next maintenance will be an oil change, tire rotation, and transmission oil. The Pilot just tells me the oil life % but does not give me any other information it just says no data.

CRV MM.jpg
Pilot MM.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for your very helpful comment. You are most definitely an individual with a plethora of knowledge. I just don't know what I would do without you. If you read my post you would see that I have read the manual. I have been a Honda owner for 7 years and know the MM codes. The issue is that the Pilot isn't showing me anything except oil life %.
Does anyone actually have useful information? Attached is a picture from my CRV and from my Pilot. As you can see the CRV tells me that my next maintenance will be an oil change, tire rotation, and transmission oil. The Pilot just tells me the oil life % but does not give me any other information it just says no data.

View attachment 134101
View attachment 134102
So i will ask why you can not use the maintenance schedule in the manual coupled with your odometer reading to do these things, why do you need the car to tell you?

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i will ask why you can not use the maintenance schedule in the manual coupled with your odometer reading to do these things, why do you need the car to tell you?

What maintenance schedule are you talking about? All I see in the manual is to follow the MM. I have not seen anywhere in the manual an actual schedule i.e. 7,500 miles oil change and tire rotation, 15,000 miles oil change, diff fluid change, tire rotation, ect. You might be talking about a schedule that your dealer recommends but I haven't seen a schedule in the manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It will sense when you need to change it. When it is time, the dash will show u a code. Google the code and it will give you the definition of what I need to change on your vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will sense when you need to change it. When it is time, the dash will show u a code. Google the code and it will give you the definition of what I need to change on your vehicle.
Thanks for the information. I guess my question is confusing. My CRV is at 60% oil life right now. When I look at the menu it shows what maintenance is coming up (A13) meaning when my MM gets down to 15% I will need to be ready to change the oil, rotate the tires, and change the transmission oil. The Pilot is currently at 50% on the MM but is not telling what additional maintenance will be required once I get down to 15%. I am trying to figure out what upcoming maintenance will be due when the oil change comes up. Like if I have to change the diff fluid I would like to already get the stuff I will need.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You have to wait till MM is at 15%, which still gives you plenty of time. Pre 2016 would give you the next events. Honda decided to take that feature away.

Reactions: Coastie05

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to wait till MM is at 15%, which still gives you plenty of time. Pre 2016 would give you the next events. Honda decided to take that feature away.
Oh okay. Thank you for the reply and answering my question.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As you're finding out, the MM system in the 3rd gen Pilots is garbage. Honda has forced it's voodoo-magic programming and logic upon its owners without ANY transparency. This Pilot is the first and possibly only Honda that I will ever own. Call me crazy, it's OK, but I'm that sour about the MM system.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I posted this is the maintenance section, but figured I might get better help if I post this here. So, I've read through the manual but I can't find what I am looking for. My '18 Pilot currently says that I have 60% oil life, but I am not able to figure out how to see what my next maintenance is going to be.
If you want to get a general idea of what recommended maintenance items are upcoming, look an the schedule attached to the post in this link: Maintenance Minder - Updated
It's derived from the mileage-based schedule applicable to early first generation Pilots.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My 2019 shows the oil life remaining along with the MM code that will be due. First oil change code A showed when I had well over 15% showing. It might have been about 80%. Later around 40% the 1 code for rotation showed up also.

After the reset when done with the first oil change the B code appeared with 100% showing. Within 500 miles the 6 code appeared and still at 100% when it did. Now at 80% with about 11000 miles and expect the 1 code to pop up sometime before 40% or so.

I check the MM on the driver display screen and not on the radio screen. Wonder if that makes a difference as the picture posted above appears to be the radio screen with no code showing.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 2019 shows the oil life remaining along with the MM code that will be due. First oil change code A showed when I had well over 15% showing. It might have been about 80%. Later around 40% the 1 code for rotation showed up also.

After the reset when done with the first oil change the B code appeared with 100% showing. Within 500 miles the 6 code appeared and still at 100% when it did. Now at 80% with about 11000 miles and expect the 1 code to pop up sometime before 40% or so.

I check the MM on the driver display screen and not on the radio screen. Wonder if that makes a difference as the picture posted above appears to be the radio screen with no code showing.
2016 thru 2018 Pilot don't have that feature. Good, they must have changed it on the 2019, they also added number '7 brake fluid replace'. That would be the same time frame the newer infotainment system (with volume knob) got installed. Pre 2015 Ridglelines had that feature, but 2017 thru 2020 Ridgelines don't.

·
Registered
172 Posts

While I see the A or B early I've never seen the actual number codes until the 15% mark. Not only that, but sometimes if I let it get down to 10% or 5% mark an extra number code might come up too. (This is on a 2019 EX-L AWD.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
2016 thru 2018 Pilot don't have that feature. Good, they must have changed it on the 2019, they also added number '7 brake fluid replace'. That would be the same time frame the newer infotainment system (with volume knob) got installed. Pre 2015 Ridglelines had that feature, but 2017 thru 2020 Ridgelines don't.
Didn't realize Honda did that for a bit not too long ago. Coming from 2010 and 2011 Accord and CR-V, both of which only showed the codes when MM got down to 15%, it didn't seem unusual that it would more or less be the same for the 2019 Pilot (although getting extra codes at times if you let it get down to 10% or 5% has been somewhat unusual).

·
Registered
67 Posts
The oil life is for the motor oil only. The new method of calculating the life is everything from RPMs, engine temperature so unlike the old speedometer reading that never included idling times and high RPM, this method is more accurate.
Don't change the rear differential like I did just because the manual said 15,000. Mine was perfect before now it makes noise at low speed turns. Every mechanic said it was just a money maker for Honda. The leasing company my car came from showed it was done at 45,000, I bought it at 95,000. I drained it and it looked brand new. Transmission oil doesn't need changing either if the level is good. Maybe when you get 150,000 and you plan on keeping the car it is worth the investment to do it once.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't change the rear differential like I did just because the manual said 15,000. Mine was perfect before now it makes noise at low speed turns. Every mechanic said it was just a money maker for Honda. The leasing company my car came from showed it was done at 45,000, I bought it at 95,000. I drained it and it looked brand new. Transmission oil doesn't need changing either if the level is good. Maybe when you get 150,000 and you plan on keeping the car it is worth the investment to do it once.
This is bad advice. Changing fluid and removing worn particulates is the key to long life.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just saw your reply as I was gone for a few days. I didn't know about the "7" on the Pilot being added but had seen it mentioned on a few other Honda forums, specifically the Odyssey I believe? My owner's manual doesn't mention or show the "7" code but hopefully it is in the MM on the car. If not I know it is supposed to be every 3 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts