Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LOL, Had to ask. Can't wait to see your answers. Stands to reason, right?
[Or any combination you can think of.]

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
This is a dr bob type of question. Or project farm. Or Bob is the Oil Guy forum.

I don't know what property/chemical in the oil gives it the appropriate viscosity and if mixing oils with differing viscosities in equal parts leads to the final viscosity being the average of the 2. I don't see why not but oil is cheap enough and I don't have the money to replace an engine so I don't know why I'd try either.

Did you ask google yet?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a dr bob type of question. Or project farm. Or Bob is the Oil Guy forum.

I don't know what property/chemical in the oil gives it the appropriate viscosity and if mixing oils with differing viscosities in equal parts leads to the final viscosity being the average of the 2. I don't see why not but oil is cheap enough and I don't have the money to replace an engine so I don't know why I'd try either.

Did you ask google yet?
Lol, No, Did not ask Google. The thought just crossed my mind. Thought it would be fun to ask.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Lol, No, Did not ask Google. The thought just crossed my mind. Thought it would be fun to ask.
Don't you know that ANY engine oil or oil filter or otherwise similar thread will devolve into an argument?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to try mixing ten different motor oils:
Well the guy didn't recommend so I better not. I'm curious about this subject because if oils can be mixed to create a desired viscosity and safely, I'd like to know. If they are going to coexist in the engine, then no.
Thanks for the video. Enjoyed it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Someone out there has to know if I combine 5w30 with 10w40, will it make 7.5w35 ?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Someone out there has to know if I combine 5w30 with 10w40, will it make 7.5w35 ?
Mathematically yes but it doesn't exactly work that way. However I have mixed leftover 5W20 (honda) with 5W30 (subaru) that loses a quart between oil changes. Didn't notice any issues when changing the oil other than being black. With fresh oil the Subie runs better with 4qt than 3qt and will probably need a QT of whatever weight I got in my oil stockpile. Goal for 2020 will be to keep just one brand of oil in my inventory.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mathematically yes but it doesn't exactly work that way. However I have mixed leftover 5W20 (honda) with 5W30 (subaru) that loses a quart between oil changes. Didn't notice any issues when changing the oil other than being black. With fresh oil the Subie runs better with 4qt than 3qt and will probably need a QT of whatever weight I got in my oil stockpile. Goal for 2020 will be to keep just one brand of oil in my inventory.
Exactly! I've got a lot of different viscosities of oil here. It's a pain to run and get oil for a quart to a 1/2 top off. I'm stretching the oil changes on 10 vehicles as far as I can. I'm using Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil and filters.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't you know that ANY engine oil or oil filter or otherwise similar thread will devolve into an argument?
I was reading some boards on the subject (Honda V6) and the question was why not 5w30? What I got from it was:
It was designed for 0w20, don't try to fix what isn't broken.
VVT will not work properly on 5w30.
Why change, 0w20 got you this far.
Honda recommends 0w20 because of fuel economy so if you want to save your engine go to 5w30.
0w20 better for cold starts. (Debate on whether ambient temp is a factor or not, dividing the northern hemisphere into 3 sections, lol)
0w20 better in the North.
5w30 better in South.
I got a headache reading it all. ?‍♂

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I was reading some boards on the subject (Honda V6) and the question was why not 5w30? What I got from it was:
It was designed for 0w20, don't try to fix what isn't broken.
VVT will not work properly on 5w30.
Why change, 0w20 got you this far.
Honda recommends 0w20 because of fuel economy so if you want to save your engine go to 5w30.
0w20 better for cold starts. (Debate on whether ambient temp is a factor or not, dividing the northern hemisphere into 3 sections, lol)
0w20 better in the North.
5w30 better in South.
I got a headache reading it all. ?‍♂
Yea I've been on Honda forums for a long time based on my ownership history. Honestly of all of the manufacturer forums the Honda forums take the most exception with the recommended oil weight.

My personal take on it is that EVERYTHING about the engine was designed for 0W20 and tested for 0W20, changing the weight could mess with the flow rate at certain temperatures and cause issues. What those issues are, I don't know and I personally am not willing to find out. Engine oil isn't just a lubricant anymore it provides pressure to operate different performance and efficiency systems on modern vehicles so I tend to trust the engineers (I know, sacrilege but I am an engineer and have respect for my profession) that designed these systems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts