Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I poached a pair of KYB Strut-Plus assemblies from my old junked Pilot and put them on my current Pilot about a year and 15k miles ago. They had probably 2-3 years and 50k miles on them already.

Well last weekend after skiing at Arapahoe Basin, my front-right coil snapped in half and destroyed my ~new Blizzak tire. I used hacksaw in the parking lot to get the coil to where I could limp home. As soon as I get home I order a KYB Strut-Plus assembly. It arrives yesterday. I back my Pilot into the garage, and the other coil snaps. I stop before it destroys my tire.

My local Advance happens to have the Monroe Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly ( Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance ) for $270. The KYB Strut-Plus I bought for $180 shipped.

I'm hesitant to let anything sway me from just getting the job done today (I'm going sled-skiing tomorrow and need to tow), but I figure I would ask my wise fellow Piloteers for any input. Some questions:

• Anyone have experience with the Monroes?
  • Anyone have experience mixing brands? Especially when brand new?
  • Any reason why I absolutely should not do it?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't think that's a particularly good idea to mix-and-match struts/springs on the same axle. They almost certainly have different compression/rebound rates and may make your vehicle drive a little wonky. Accordingly, it may actually be somewhat dangerous. You may want to skip the sled skiing and return one or the other and get a matched set.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Besides regular bouts of OCD the different brands of struts will function but there may be differences in the shock absorption and rebound although the way a Pilot is driven may not be noticeable. But I prefer identical struts/shocks per axle at the minimum. On a different vehicle I was not impressed with Monroe Quickstruts but ymmv

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Besides regular bouts of OCD the different brands of struts will function but there may be differences in the shock absorption and rebound although the way a Pilot is driven may not be noticeable. But I prefer identical struts/shocks per axle at the minimum. On a different vehicle I was not impressed with Monroe Quickstruts but ymmv
My OCDs would not allow me to ride on different struts. I'd lay awake at night thinking about. Going in with only one CV axle (not in pairs) was a challenge. :p

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
OCD FTW.

I wouldn't either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did it. I sent it. I had a buddy in a Jeep follow me as backup, and everything went as planned. I'll keep everyone posted on the condition of my Pilot and the struts. Everything rode as expected and I have nothing "interesting" to report back.

... Except for getting stuck on the sleds MULTIPLE times in warm, wet, concrete snow as soon as the sun poked through the clouds. Hopefully I'll get some more powder turns before the sled season ends. They're '99 Arctic Cats and definitely a little under-powered for the kind of deep heavy powder we found today. Anyone wanna hook me up with an RMK :cool:?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
119 Posts
Great post!

I would have say my own preference would be to replace at a minimum both fronts struts to to achieve and assure “balanced” ride.

My question - is it okay to mix strut brands on front vs back. Say bilsteens up front and Monroe in back?

Should worn strut(s) be replaced all at once ideally?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
IMO vehicles are not like kids. No mix and match sales for me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great post!

I would have say my own preference would be to replace at a minimum both fronts struts to to achieve and assure “balanced” ride.

My question - is it okay to mix strut brands on front vs back. Say bilsteens up front and Monroe in back?

Should worn strut(s) be replaced all at once ideally?
While I'm glad that I got the job done when I did, I would definitely have preferred identical struts. But honestly, the only thing I noticed while driving/towing over the weekend with mis-matched struts was that my tires were at different PSI (i.e. I didn't notice a thing).

As for rear shocks, I used the KYB Excel-G's and they have been fine. I don't think there should be an issue between mixing brands on front/rear.

Another thing I noticed was that my control arms had some super cracked bushings I should deal with. I'll start looking into new LCA assemblies.

--Chris N.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
As for rear shocks, I used the KYB Excel-G's and they have been fine. I don't think there should be an issue between mixing brands on front/rear.
I have the same shocks and share your assessment.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts