Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Honda Pilot. Idles at 2500 RPM. When driving it down the road it gets to around 3500 RPM and starts misfiring badly and will not go above 3500 RPM.
Spark plugs replaced 2 weeks ago.
Codes I get P301, P304, P305 and P000C

The POOOC seems to be about low oil pressure and the variable valve timing.
Don't see any major oil leaks.
Someone told me that some Hondas have a separate Oil Screen filter that can get clogged up. Does the 3.5 L engine have one?
Looking to replace the VVT.
Are the above problems symptons of a bad VVT?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Yes, the picture you have is the vtec (vvt) assembly and spool. You can buy these minus the spool.

This Fits Passenger Side at the dipstick only. RockAuto listing is wrong.
To actually replace the spool, you must remove the intake manifold, valve covers, rocker arm assemblies. Unless you have spools leaking, you can get by with just the vtec assembly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was the vehicle running fine prior to the spark plug change? What type and brand of sparK Plug did you put in the vehicle?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Yes, the picture you have is the vtec (vvt) assembly and spool. You can buy these minus the spool.
View attachment 140859 .
To actually replace the spool, you must remove the intake manifold, valve covers, rocker arm assemblies. Unless you have spools leaking, you can get by with just the vtec assembly.
RA is saying this will fit left or right. It looks like this part would only fit left, above dip stick. I'd confirm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the vehicle running fine prior to the spark plug change? What type and brand of sparK Plug did you put in the vehicle?
Had a slight misfire. Replaced with NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. Ran good for 2 weeks and then was on the freeway, and a bunch of the lights on the dash came on and started to run rough. Pullled over and shut it off. Sat for a few minutes, restarted and all the lights were off. Ran ok until I got up to 3500 RPM where it would start to run extremely rough and the RPM would jump from 2800 to 3500, back and forth once it got to 3500 RPM and not go over 3500 RPM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 140859 .
View attachment 140859 .
The P000C code references Bank 2. Is Bank 2 the firewall side or the radiator side head?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bank1 is the one closest to the radiator and bank 2 is closer the firewall. The vetc spool on bank 2 is on the driver side of the head.
I was doing some research online about the firing order. I thought Bank 1 is the bank that #1 Cylinder is on, is that Correct? This diagram shows #1 is on the Firewall side head.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Bank 1 is firewall side.
So If you want to replace the vtec (vvt) assembly for bank 2, it's the one located with the oil dipstick.

Reactions: huntertn

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Thanks Nail Grease. Are there ways to check the VVT assembly either on the car or off the car?
If you get a code for the Oil Pressure sensor, that's the common problem. I replace the assembly as preventive maintanance at least once in the vehicles lifespan. #1 the gasket will eventually leak if not, #2 for a new gasket filter screen. #3 it can prevent 3-4 malfunctions. The big one is the oil leak dripping down into your alternator killing it.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
View attachment 140859 .
Jus a heads up on this RockAuto photo. This part only fits passenger side at the dipstick, despite what the listing says.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 13 of 13 Posts