Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm chasing the dreaded random misfires on my 06' pilot, have tried everything on the forums, valve adjustments, EGR cleanings, new spark plugs, coils, etc. - I'm down to the TSB 09-090 software flash update, which would require me to take the car to the dealer to have done - my pilot has 235k on it, it's a good car, but trying not to put a bunch of money into it at this stage.

Of the people that have gotten this update, did it take away your random misfire check engine lights or did they come back? Was it a fix-all for the problem like the TSB states?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
790 Posts
I have no experience with this problem myself, however I am curious, can you tell if the car is actually misfiring? Or are you just going off of what the codes say? I know of a few cases where the owner tried everything but kept getting the code. Turns out it was a computer problem that was throwing the code. Engine was fine so they just let it be. Hope you get everything figured out!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no experience with this problem myself, however I am curious, can you tell if the car is actually misfiring? Or are you just going off of what the codes say? I know of a few cases where the owner tried everything but kept getting the code. Turns out it was a computer problem that was throwing the code. Engine was fine so they just let it be. Hope you get everything figured out!
It's really random, sometimes you can tell it's running poorly, other times you can't. It's only misfired once on the interstate where getting up hills was a tad challenging and you could feel the miss. On that occasion, I ended up fixing the broken intake tube and wiping out the throttle bottle thinking that could be it.

Sometimes it will turn on the code driving, sometimes it will turn it on during start up. If at start up, you can feel the engine is running a little bit rougher, but not dramatically, it's very subtle. If I left the light on and drove, the car would probably drive a tick under powered. If driving and it turns on and starts flashing, generally I can't feel it, no idea why. Sometimes it misfires on ALL cylinders, sometimes it's certain cylinders, sometimes it's a cat code on bank 1, then bank 2, then I'll never see that code again for maybe months. I probably have the most tuned up, brand new running pilot with 235k on it because of these misfires, but they are still occurring for some reason. I just suspect it HAS to be a computer sensitivity problem at this stage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what I've done so far to try to fight this problem:

Replaced all spark plugs with new OEM NGK's
Replaced 2 coils with OEM coils - had all replaced with non-oem Amazon coils, they caused MAJOR driving issues a few months later, so put oem's back in, replacing 2 of the discolored ones with new.
Replaced valve cover gaskets, and spark plug tube gaskets.
Wiped out intake plenum while someone inside the car pushed on gas pedal
Fixed cracked intake tube, was cracked close to the throttle body, didn't suspect it was causing an issue..didn't fix it.
Battery is AGM and relatively new.
Timing belt is new, changed recently.
Adjusted the valves to spec.
Cleared all codes with foxwell 510N scanner, none stored in any modules, CEL still came back

Only thing left is the software update I suspect?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2006 EX-L. Random P0305 on cold startups.

Replaced spark plugs, swapped coils from 4&5, adjusted valves, replaced cylinder 5 fuel injector, replaced pcv and hose, cleaned EGR ports in intake manifold. Got p0305 again this morning.......I am lost ):

·
Registered
6 Posts
The TSB is only for the FWD engine. (In 2006 AWD and FWD had different engines) . Do you have AWD or FWD?

I'm having the same problem and am considering the valve adjustment even though the car runs fine. But I have AWD so the TSB won't help me.

·
Premium Member
2005 EX-L and 2007 EX-L W/Nav
6 Posts
I've got an '07 FWD and I get the P030# codes intermittently. I just read TSB ID #SB-09-090 this morning and I'm wondering if anyone has actually adjusted valves and/or got the software updated.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
790 Posts
I just drive over a pothole and that usually clears the misfire codes. The computers on these cars seem a bit finicky. Of course if It actually was misfiring I’d have it looked at. It happens once every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I just drive over a pothole and that usually clears the misfire codes
Ah, so that explains it. I've never seen a misfire code here, I suppose because they're perpetually getting cleared. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts