Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 touring with almost 150,000 miles. My spark plugs are only 6 months old and the car had a tune up during that time as well so I don't think that was the issue. I was on a 5 hour road trip and about 2.5 hours in, my engline light started flashing. That happened to me once last year and I stopped the car immediately and it ended up needing to get towed because it was puttering pretty bad. the spark plugs were replaced and all was well.
This time when it happened, the performance of the car was fine. I stopped it right away, waited a while and when I restarted it was driving ok. I was scared to death because of my last experience though. I asked a mechanic at the town I was visiting, and he seemed to think a coil might be bad. I know the flashing indicates some kind of misfire, but the car has been fine since and the light never came back on. From time to time, my check emission light comes on and the p0420 code comes up. My fuel intake hose was recently replaced. Could this have been a one time thing? Or is it a prelude to a more serious problem? I'll take it to get checked this week, but has anyone had similar experience?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hard to say if it is the issue you had before or not. Best to pull the code if it stored one when the light come on. There might not be a code since the light is off. If there is no stored and it drives fine, then just keep on going and see if it comes back. Intermittent issues are the worst.

If you don't have one, you might want to get an inexpensive code reader to check at home. Even one of the bluetooth ones for $20 will pull codes with a smartphone app. Or you can always check at an auto parts store for free, but years ago I got tired of driving over there and waiting on employees to help.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Would need to know what the code was. I recommend owning a cheap code reader, like above, the $20-$30 ones for Android or iPhone are worth it and not hard to operate with free apps.

The most common issue with these is the VCM fouls your spark plugs, due to a known defect in the engine (piston rings). The warranty was extended but you are past the warranty. If you plan on keeping the vehicle then I'd recommend buying a VCM disabling device. VCM Disablers: VCMuzzler II, S-VCM, VCM Tuner II -- Which one and *why*?

I would not worry too much if it was just a transient code.... but cylinder misfire due to plug fouling is a very real problem that affects most of these engines, especially with high mileage.

Does your vehicle use much oil between changes?

A flashing check engine does not necessarily mean it is a cylinder misfire. But if there are no other lights and it does not go into limp mode, that is likely the most common issue. You need to pull the codes to know for sure or get better recommendations here.

Reactions: PJSWORLD

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2010 touring with almost 150,000 miles. My spark plugs are only 6 months old and the car had a tune up during that time as well so I don't think that was the issue. I was on a 5 hour road trip and about 2.5 hours in, my engline light started flashing. That happened to me once last year and I stopped the car immediately and it ended up needing to get towed because it was puttering pretty bad. the spark plugs were replaced and all was well.
This time when it happened, the performance of the car was fine. I stopped it right away, waited a while and when I restarted it was driving ok. I was scared to death because of my last experience though. I asked a mechanic at the town I was visiting, and he seemed to think a coil might be bad. I know the flashing indicates some kind of misfire, but the car has been fine since and the light never came back on. From time to time, my check emission light comes on and the p0420 code comes up. My fuel intake hose was recently replaced. Could this have been a one time thing? Or is it a prelude to a more serious problem? I'll take it to get checked this week, but has anyone had similar experience?
Id go and order the vcmtunerII Regardless of the code and install .I got mine on the way and cant wait to install I have a 2009 exl 155000,Ive had no problems yet but that vcm control beats up the engine mounts and cant be good running on 3 cylinders ,I can feel the engine shutter off and on 3,4,6, cylinders,probably fine on highway, Ijust bought this car recently.maybe this will help you ,PRESS ON.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts