Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Misfire hunting

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  HondaKarl 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Been living with random misfires and bank 2 cat codes on my 06 pilot for a couple years now. This weekend I finally replaced all coils, plugs, o2 sensors and the cat. The cat code is gone but my car is still misfiring on idle...
Been told by the dealer that it needs a valve adjustment, however, this same dealer about 30k miles (2 years) ago took this car apart twice to deal with a cracked cylinder head. The head was first machined but then ultimately replaced. Verbally they said they adjusted the valves both times they had it apart, which I assume you would have to do if your machining this part. The adjustment is not itemized on their invoice.
I would like to explore some other items, since

A. I do not particularly trust this dealer and
B. I am not confident I can do this myself.

I'll look into the EGR next.

Questions.

Am I right you would need to adjust the valves after replacing the head?

Looking at my fuel trims on idle. Is it normal to run rich on one bank and lean on the other?

If my filter box has a small crack does that count as vacuum leak since it's before the MAF

Thanks for reading, any insight or other ideas where to look is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
#7 ·
Hi All,

Been living with random misfires and bank 2 cat codes on my 06 pilot for a couple years now. This weekend I finally replaced all coils, plugs, o2 sensors and the cat. The cat code is gone but my car is still misfiring on idle...
Been told by the dealer that it needs a valve adjustment, however, this same dealer about 30k miles (2 years) ago took this car apart twice to deal with a cracked cylinder head. The head was first machined but then ultimately replaced. Verbally they said they adjusted the valves both times they had it apart, which I assume you would have to do if your machining this part. The adjustment is not itemized on their invoice.

Questions.

Looking at my fuel trims on idle. Is it normal to run rich on one bank and lean on the other?

If my filter box has a small crack does that count as vacuum leak since it's before the MAF

Have you checked/cleaned the EGR passages? They can be accessed by removing the cover plate on the top of the intake manifold. Clogged passages can cause misfire at idle. Clean by scraping with a small tool while using a shop vac.

#9 ·
If you do this, be sure to rotate the engine only in a clockwise direction, by using a 19mm socket and extension bar on the crankshaft pulley nut. You will need to jack up the front right corner and pull the wheel to do this.

Rotating the crank counter clockwise can cause the timing belt to skip.

#12 ·
Hi All,

Questions.

I had the same issue and after removing the top cover(to egr ports) and cleaning the maze which the egr gas recirculates through I was all good. Takes a novice 15min to do, any questions call me 734-366-6509. Its not part of the scheduled maint and every Honda V6 with over 100k miles should do it. Very easy, theres a youtube video (cleaning egr ports in Honda Pilot) try it, costs nothing and resolved all my misfire codes, Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.