Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member. This website (the format/feel/structure/yada yada...) is very similar to www.Mini2.com, which is the (un)official website of Mini Cooper owners.

About my Pilot which we got on June 22. We test drove several SUVs (and had a '97 Montero Sport and '00 Odyssey) and we thought that the Pilot was the best SUV for us (family of 5)...

My gripes about the Pilot:
1. Noticeable wind noise on the highway on speed of over 55 mph. It is not excessive noise as some have observed or exaggerated but clearly discernible.
2. Poor placement of the heat/ac vent in the rear. The slots in the vent are always "out of place" as it is always getting hit or kicked. Luckily, it's easy to fix. The Service Mgr. mentioned to me that this has been a common complaint by owners.
3. You get "paper cuts" on the armrest. The edge on the plastic part of the armrest is sharp. The wife & I have experienced "paper cut" sensation a few times.
4. The wife does not like the placement of the shift lever. She said: "It gets in the way." However, it does not bother me.

Beyond the 4 points above, we truly like our Pilot. It's a first year model so I expected some minor imperfections or "niggles" as my Mini friends across the pond would call them. In addition, we're leasing our Pilot so we have a slightly different perspective when compared to an owner.

Cheers!!! :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Welcome to the group Spectra-007 and thanks for posting.

Your "gripes" have been discussed several times here. There are threads offering resolutions for #2 & #3. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find them.

If you're so inclined, post your Pilot info in Havasu's Vin Table...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921

Safe Piloting to you! :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Welcome to the club, SPECTRA-007. Always glad to see a fellow Pilot owner. About those rear heat/ac vents, I had my dealer replace them for me. I'm rather surprised that the Service Mgr didn't replace them for you. Next time you're in there, tell him that it's got to the point where just moving the vents will have them fall out, so you'd like them to replace them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You may not believe this

This seems off the topic of this forum but here it goes.

My wife and I ordered a Mini Cooper date back to May. However, we have to cancel the order cause our financial status changed and we have to buy a SUV first. Then we ended up with Pilot but Mini is still in our mind. It will be our second car once we get some extra money to burn.

·
Registered
494 Posts
SPECTRA-007,
Welcome to the board.
I checked out a Mini-Cooper that was parked at the local Fry's electronics today. Neat little car. There was a movie I saw, an older one with Michael Caine in it. They stole gold bars and they used Mini-Coopers as their getaway cars. I always thought they were neat cars since then.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cooper

Every time I see one, and they look great in and out, I think of the really bad things that would happen in a highway crash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To Tony & aerostar 45

Thanks for the warm welcome…
By the way, I have an EX with roof rack but no crossbars. With the 2000 Odyssey that I had, the placement of the cross bars greatly mattered. Through trial & error, I found the optimum placement that minimized the wind noise. My Pilot has no cross bars but still, the wind noise is a bit annoying.

About the Mini….
The earlier built (2001 to early 2002) had numerous quality issues. Mine was built in April 2002. It is a fun car and a blast to drive. I got the basic model (115 horses, 5 speed, silver/black, cloth seats)… I find it to be peppy and the handling is fantastic. I got 5,000 miles and the only problems I’ve had are as follows:
1. noise coming from the liftback which the dealer fixed.
2. a frequent but not constant unusual noise that either comes from the driver side fender or door. I can’t locate exactly where the noise is coming from. I’ll have the dealer look at it.
Note: there was a recall on cars with manual transmission. A fastener was installed to prevent the transmission cable from “popping off.” A simple fix and also, the factory fixed this problem so newly built cars will not have this issue.
Other than the above, it is a joy to drive and my kids love it. It’s a first year model just like the Pilot, so expect some growing pains. That is why I’m leasing the Pilot and the Mini.

Michael Caine starred in the movie “The Italian Job.” I saw that movie when I was in grade school, which was about 30 years ago. Man, time flies…. Great movie with probably one of the best car chase scenes I’ve ever seen…

Cheers

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crash Test

All the crash test results on the Mini Cooper so far have been favorable. I don't trust my memory but I recall reading that it was given a 4 star rating (out of 5) on various tests done here in the U.S. and in Europe.

The Mini's safety features are:
- 3 sets of airbags (front/side/curtain);
- ABS;
- rigid body frame;
- dynamic stability control;
- electronic brake distribution;
- corner brake control;
- front/rear stabilizer bar

For more info., please go to miniusa.com or mini2.com.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carbon Copy

Can someone tell me why the style/structure/format/etc. of this website is a carbon copy of www.mini2.com?

Were they designed by the same guy or firm? Or did this one emulate mini2.com?

'just curious, nothing else....
:D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Carbon Copy

SPECTRA-007 said:
Can someone tell me why the style/structure/format/etc. of this website is a carbon copy of www.mini2.com?

Were they designed by the same guy or firm? Or did this one emulate mini2.com?

'just curious, nothing else....
D
Don't see anything similar except maybe the format. Style is completely different, I mean the dark background, etc.
acura-mdx.org site is the same as this one but I think we're related.
Worm...Anyone... What's the scoop? Is it a general Forum software that makes them all similar? :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts