Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I had to do that with my childhood dog 7 or 8 years ago. My boss is not a dog person and gave me some lip about me calling out because of a dog and I pretty firmly told him how the dog meant more to me than all but a handful of people and I will not have this discussion with him. My parents' other Border Collie is 14 and her body is failing her pretty quickly. I'm just hoping my dad is home this time so I don't have to go through it again.

If you love your dogs like I love mine this is about as hard as it gets. I'm sorry.

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
Sounds like you and Milo shared some good times together. I’m sure Milo felt the same way towards you that you did towards him.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD
593 Posts
I had a wonderful Yellow Lab when I was in my 20's and 30's.
I had to put him down when he was around 12 yrs old due to terminal cancer, ascites, etc.
This dog was the coolest, smartest dog.

I really miss him today.

I never got another dog. There is no way any dog could match up to the times I had with this dog. Named Bock

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I had a wonderful Yellow Lab when I was in my 20's and 30's.
I had to put him down when he was around 12 yrs old due to terminal cancer, ascites, etc.
This dog was the coolest, smartest dog.

I really miss him today.

I never got another dog. There is no way any dog could match up to the times I had with this dog. Named Bock

Sorry for your loss.
I view this differently when people say this to me. I don't want another Kellie (old Border Collie) or Holly (14 year old Border Collie)... I want a new dog to be it's own dog and have their own things that make them special and drive me crazy. Just like with kids.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I view this differently when people say this to me. I don't want another Kellie (old Border Collie) or Holly (14 year old Border Collie)... I want a new dog to be it's own dog and have their own things that make them special and drive me crazy. Just like with kids.
I will not get another until I retire. My old job, I came home for lunch for an hour. He could go out and do his business.
We had lunch together.
Now I am gone usually ten solid hours a day. I can not let a dog go that long without going outside to relieve himself.
You make a good point, each dog has their ways, never replace your old one, but a new adventure.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
We remember our four legged friends. Maggie an English Setter, Kezar, a special needs Golden who was my oldest's favorite dog, Harry, a Flat Coated Retriever who succumbed to Cancer age 7.
Current canine fleet are two goldens and a 14 year old Boxer

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We remember our four legged friends. Maggie an English Setter, Kezar, a special needs Golden who was my oldest's favorite dog, Harry, a Flat Coated Retriever who succumbed to Cancer age 7.
Wow, a 14 year old Boxer, that is impressive. And Goldens are fun, mine hated the water though, which I thought was odd.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I will not get another until I retire. My old job, I came home for lunch for an hour. He could go out and do his business.
We had lunch together.
Now I am gone usually ten solid hours a day. I can not let a dog go that long without going outside to relieve himself.
You make a good point, each dog has their ways, never replace your old one, but a new adventure.
IDK, the Border Collies growing up and our current Shelties go 12 hours and have accidents maybe 4 or 5 times per year. Now I work 3 miles from home so when it's not a pandemic and I am in the office I go home at lunch and let them out and throw a ball for a bit.

Now they both sleep at my feet and anytime one of my hands is hanging down somehow they find it and rub themselves on it so I pet them.

Wow, a 14 year old Boxer, that is impressive. And Goldens are fun, mine hated the water though, which I thought was odd.
My parents had 2 Border Collies. So smart, so determined, so athletic. The younger one was a great swimmer too. Extremely acrobatic too, she'd do the flip frisbee catches that you see on TV. The intensity of their stares while playing with a ball or frisbee was amazing.

My wife and I have 2 Shetland Sheepdogs. Great dogs but a lot of shedding for such small bodies and they love to yap.

I would really like to have a bigger dog, I'm partial to smooth coat (short haired) Collies so I'd love to have one at some point. When the kids are a little bigger and if any of them show the interest to help with the responsibility. And if we ever have a yard bigger than 1/4 acre, it's too small for a bigger dog.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Now they both sleep at my feet and anytime one of my hands is hanging down somehow they find it and rub themselves on it so I pet them.
Hey, our Sheltie, Kyra, used to do that too. The kids were in charge of feeding and walks, and my wife grew to enjoy the brushing and grooming. I was tasked with taking her on her final journey.

What a joy in life to share some time on this earth with a dog. Every human, especially as kids if they can deal with the responsibility, should have a dog at some point, to learn the meaning of unconditional love and loyalty.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, our Shellie, Kyra, used to do that too. The kids were in charge of feeding and walks, and my wife grew to enjoy the brushing and grooming. I was tasked with taking her on her final journey.

What a joy in life to share some time on this earth with a dog. Every human, especially as kids if they can deal with the responsibility, should have a dog at some point, to learn the meaning of unconditional love and loyalty.
Our final journey, sucked.
Due to covid, I was not allowed in the with the vet to put him down. The staff got a blanket and on the sidewalk they gave him a sedative to relax him. I had to say my last words to him on the sidewalk, and the two girls carried him in to give the final needle.
I wanted to be by his side as he took his last breath, just did not work that way. Kind of really hurts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Four Months ago I had to put Milo down (avatar picture) We had 15 years of great times.
I miss him, and the time we spent together.
Happy Birthday Meathead.
Best Dog Ever.
I was going to comment about what a good looking pup you have.

I admit it, I cannot take losing someone I've grown so close to,....I'm still n ot ready and it's been 8 years.

I'm so sorry you lost you pal.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 on Ridgeline rims
367 Posts
Why do I read these posts? Drive ambulance see many sad life events with really no issues. Kids and pets injured = waterfalls. RIP Milo.

We had a pound adoption lab/pit/beagle mix from North Carolina for almost 13 years before we had to put him down, very sad time for the whole family. Dog trainer when he was a puppy was a PD Canine trainer. He offered to buy mine because of how he reacted to drug scents on final exam training course. No Thanks.

Took 7 years before getting another from North Shore Animal league. They put you through a crazy adoption process with references and back ground checks and then come follow up a couple months later at your house. Now we have a 70 pound MUTT (Boxer/mini bull terrier/lab and many DNA mixes down Shepard/Duck Tolling Retriever/St. Bernard) Triple coat, sheds like the motorcycle guy on Geico, White and Black like a border collie/Holstein cow and just does not like strangers. Head is smaller than his chest so needed 3 different harness's to find one that fits. His regular collar looks tight but it's just so much fur and thick neck but can slide off if he pulls backward. Loves going for rides but hair stands up at all people we drive buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts