Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't get all the concern about mileage. If you buy a good sized SUV shouldn't you expect less than stellar mileage? It reminds me of people who knowingly buy houses near airports and then complain about jet noise. Is a MPG or two either way that big of a deal? How much does it actually effect the cost of gas for the average driver?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well.....when you expect 17-24 and you get 11....yeah, it stands out as a little too far off the curve to be a normal deviation.

Oh, and in terms of the cost of gas.....if I am getting 11 miles per gallon, and I could be getting 22 miles per gallon....then it doubles the cost. But I'm not average....I'm the anomaly. The average Pilot owners aren't the ones complaining.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been averaging 15.5 mpg with 2600 miles on the Pilot. That includes about 2200 highway miles. That's horse @%#&!

Would I have still purchased the Pilot armed with this knowledge? Probably. Did the reported mpg factor into my decision to my the Pilot? Absolutely. Does it irritate me that the reported mpg is simply BS? Yes

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Arrgh said:
I just don't get all the concern about mileage. If you buy a good sized SUV shouldn't you expect less than stellar mileage? It reminds me of people who knowingly buy houses near airports and then complain about jet noise. Is a MPG or two either way that big of a deal? How much does it actually effect the cost of gas for the average driver?
I agree with you. While my initial city mileage was only about 13.5 mpg, it was a big improvement from the Landcuiser that I traded in. That one got 9 in the city and 13 on the freeway.

Living in San Francisco, I have learned to never expect to achieve the epa gas mileage figures. The stop and go traffic combined with the hills takes its toll on gas mileage. With our three cars, I would say that in city driving, we achieve, on average, about 70% of the EPA city gas mileage figure.

I'll be taking a trip to Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe in a few weeks. This will be my first test to see what kind of dedicated highway gas mileage the Pilot can achieve.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Does anyone know if the MDX gets anywhere near the 17/23 it's rated for? :8:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in the Bay Area too, and our Pilot gets almost 20 MPG on average. Granted, my wife drives it conservatively and majority of her driving is highway. We're going on a trip to LA, and last time in a TrailBlazer we averaged 18 MPG going there. Speed was never faster than 77, so with city thrown in it might get 16. So, we're ahead so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GreenMachine said:
Does anyone know if the MDX gets anywhere near the 17/23 it's rated for? :8:
I have a 2001 MDX and I average 16.5-17.2 in the city and 21.6-24.2
on the highway. I would say that those numbers are as close as you can get to the sticker on the window:4: :4: :4:

·
Registered
10 Posts
gas mileage

I agree with 300miletrip. Don't put false numbers on the window. My decision was based heavily on the gas mileage claims. I've been averaging around 16 mpg's and most of it (80%) has been highway miles. Had I known the mileage would have been so crappy, I might have looked at something else. Other than the mileage, I have been very happy with my Pilot!

Chris
(300800)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gas Mileage

I just bought a Pilot on a 800 mile trip, 98% highway mileage average 20 miles per gallon. Average speed 70 miles an hour.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I get 18 or so non-highway and just over 20 on trips (those are usually 800 miles in one shot at 75 to 80 MPH loaded).

These numbers are wonderfull for a vehicle that size the way I drive!

As for the numbers on the window, our "experts" in the government put them there, not Honda.

Aslo I would give the Pilot at least 5000 miles before I would consider it broken-in. Not sure why it taaakes so long, but many hear have reported increasing gas milage up to then.

Also, if you are trying to get accurate gas milage (worthy of *****ing about) readings you need to check every tank and use a rolling 2 or 3 tank average.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts