Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Forum. I live in Phoenix AZ and bought a new 2019 Pilot EX-L on January 2, 2019. I have been logging my mpg's since day one. I've been getting between 19.5 mpg and 22 mpg around town, and I got 25 mpg on a road trip down to Tucson in February. I now have 3650 miles on the vehicle and the last two tanks I've purchased have yielded 16.58 mpg and 15.08 mpg. I'm not doing anything differently other than running the AC most of the time as it is starting to heat up here in the desert. Has anyone else had this dramatic a drop in their mpg in the 2019 Pilot? If so, is it due to the AC operation or something else? Thanks in advance for your responses.
AZ2019Pilot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Forum. I live in Phoenix AZ and bought a new 2019 Pilot EX-L on January 2, 2019. I have been logging my mpg's since day one. I've been getting between 19.5 mpg and 22 mpg around town, and I got 25 mpg on a road trip down to Tucson in February. I now have 3650 miles on the vehicle and the last two tanks I've purchased have yielded 16.58 mpg and 15.08 mpg. I'm not doing anything differently other than running the AC most of the time as it is starting to heat up here in the desert. Has anyone else had this dramatic a drop in their mpg in the 2019 Pilot? If so, is it due to the AC operation or something else? Thanks in advance for your responses.

AZ2019Pilot
A drastic drop in mpg like that is often caused by a bad oxygen sensor. Of course under-inflated tires and clogged air filters can also contribute, but your car is pretty new and the drop in mileage is pretty drastic and sudden, so my guess would be bad oxygen sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your situation got me curious and I found this online. But that still seems like a huge drop so I would keep monitoring it relative to your AC usage....

Using a vehicle’s air-conditioning system increases its fuel consumption more than any other auxiliary feature.

An air-conditioning (a/c) system can increase fuel consumption by up to 20% because of the extra load on the engine. The actual load depends on the vehicle’s interior size, the outdoor temperature and other conditions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you using ECON mode?

2019 Owner's manual p550:
ECON Mode
The ECON button turns the ECON mode on and off.
The ECON mode helps you improve your fuel economy by adjusting the performance of the engine, air conditioning system, and cruise control.
Sidebar:
ECON Mode
While in ECON mode, the climate control system has greater temperature fluctuations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's my usual MPG around town. I get between 25-27 freeway.. 17 EXL here

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
A drastic drop in mpg like that is often caused by a bad oxygen sensor. Of course under-inflated tires and clogged air filters can also contribute, but your car is pretty new and the drop in mileage is pretty drastic and sudden, so my guess would be bad oxygen sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bad oxygen sensor will throw a code and cars performance will be effected too. I doubt it’s oxygen sensor problem.

Using a/c will lower your mpg.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you've ever driven a 4-cyl car with A/C, you know how much of a drag the A/C can be on an engine.
With your larger / more powerful engine, you won't notice the drag, but your MPG will suffer.
I'm with the others, it's most likely your current use of the A/C.
If you want to be sure, switch off your A/C for a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts