Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

First time poster

I have a conundrum that has been picking at my brain. My friend and I traveled about 450 kms (one behind the other). He has a 2018 AWD EX-L RES and I have a 2019 AWD Touring. What has been bothering me is the mileage... we reset out odometers and at the end of the trip he had on average 10.9 l/km, while i had 12.3 l/km. That is a huge difference in my mind.

a few points that i considered
  • I was always in front, setting pace, but he followed right behind
  • tire pressure is green
  • oil life is good
  • inside load (people and luggage) about the same, he had 1 more kid
  • eco mode on for both, driving in D and not S

what gives

when i drive normally in town, the blue line at the bottom is always around 15, but my rpms is around 2, i try to limit it to 2.5

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If your Pilot was getting 12.3km/l and your friend was getting 10.9km/l then I’d be very happy considering your Pilot was the lead vehicle. I’m assuming you meant km/l, and not l/km, because both of you should be very concerned if you were using 10+ liters to travel one km.

Other factors would be:
1) How did you calculate the gas mileage (do you Canadians call it kilometerage?)?
2) Did both Pilots report the same distance traveled?
3) Did both Pilots get refueled from the same pump?
4) Any modifications to either Pilot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha - kilometerage...
and yes... to the units... i had it backwards
yes - same distance travel - the 2018 had more distance remaining too
yes same fuel (costco)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yours is a 9 speed transmission which is supposed to get better fuel mileage, his is a 6 speed transmission with lower mileage rating.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Did you have cross bars on and he didn't?

You have 20" wheels and he has 18", are the widths different? Also, if they are different tires the rolling resistance could be different?

Lastly, depending on how close he was it could have been close enough to gain an aerodynamic benefit from your draft. I don't know if he's 50' behind you is there still a slight draft advantage or not, my degree is in Civil not Aerospace.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Did you have cross bars on and he didn't?

You have 20" wheels and he has 18", are the widths different? Also, if they are different tires the rolling resistance could be different?

Lastly, depending on how close he was it could have been close enough to gain an aerodynamic benefit from your draft. I don't know if he's 50' behind you is there still a slight draft advantage or not, my degree is in Civil not Aerospace.
Not being familiar or used to km/l vs mpg I think some who read this post are mixing the two results up. The OP who was always in front (therefore not benefiting from any draft advantage) obtained 12.3 km/l. That equates to 28.3 MPG! The car following with the 6 speed transmission, the draft advantage, and 18 inch wheels obtained 10.9 km/l. That equates to 25.6 MPG

So a 9 speed transmission, 20 inch tires, and being drafted by another vehicle actually obtained 3.3 MPG (1.40 km/l) better than the 6 speed, 18 inch wheels, vehicle drafting behind the other vehicle!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Not being familiar or used to km/l vs mpg I think some who read this post are mixing the two results up. The OP who was always in front (therefore not benefiting from any draft advantage) obtained 12.3 km/l. That equates to 28.3 MPG! The car following with the 6 speed transmission, the draft advantage, and 18 inch wheels obtained 10.9 km/l. That equates to 25.6 MPG

So a 9 speed transmission, 20 inch tires, and being drafted by another vehicle actually obtained 3.3 MPG (1.40 km/l) better than the 6 speed, 18 inch wheels, vehicle drafting behind the other vehicle!
The '19 has the facelift, maybe it helps cut through the air a little better too?

Either way both of those results are really good in my opinion! Best we ever saw in our '15 is 24, my Traverse got 21 once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

First time poster

I have a conundrum that has been picking at my brain. My friend and I traveled about 450 kms (one behind the other). He has a 2018 AWD EX-L RES and I have a 2019 AWD Touring. What has been bothering me is the mileage... we reset out odometers and at the end of the trip he had on average 10.9 l/km, while i had 12.3 l/km. That is a huge difference in my mind.

a few points that i considered
  • I was always in front, setting pace, but he followed right behind
  • tire pressure is green
  • oil life is good
  • inside load (people and luggage) about the same, he had 1 more kid
  • eco mode on for both, driving in D and not S
what gives

when i drive normally in town, the blue line at the bottom is always around 15, but my rpms is around 2, i try to limit it to 2.5

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I would caution you about is that if you are relying on the MPG (or l/km) showing on your dashboard display you might find yourself a bit misled. My actual MPG calculated by my odometer mileage and gallons needed to fill tank has consistently been 1.5 to 2.0 MPG less than the dashboard display shows. I have talked to 2 dealers about it and they just kind of shrugged their shoulders - I suspect I wasn't the first person to ask them that question. Maybe the 2 cars are calculating the mileages a bit differently?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Driving styles will greatly play into your mpg. Every driving style is different. I had my motor head years with a 428 hemi charger, big brute 4X4 trucks etc. Now in my middle older age I am no longer in a hurry. I have found that the trip is often more important and entertaining than the destination.

My mpg is figured by hand, not by on dash idiot calculator. Always put the pump nozzle in as far as it will go and when it clicks off no additional toping off the tank squeezes.

I now drive the speed limit, (in the outside lane for all you speed demons) and use my cruse control whenever practicable. My newest vehicle is a 2020 Honda Passport AWD that I bought after trading in my 2013 Honda Pilot FWD. I am averaging 23 mpg in town and 28 mpg on the highway all while doing the posted speed limit. My Pilot mpg was just about the same as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts