Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
06 AWD EX-L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to forums in general but I find myself on this one frequently enough so I figure I'd share a bit about the Mighty Pilot as we've named it. We picked up this 06 Pilot EX-L AWD for a great deal in summer of 2018. It had a perfect service record from the same dealer it was initially purchased at and was in immaculate condition. My wife's family is in CO and we have to pass some restricted winter roads so with some research we soon replaced the tires for Cooper Discover AT3 4s's. Probably a different post, but I can't say enough good about these tires! Most of it's use is a daily commuter between the country to the city and back for my wife which it performs just fine at. Where it really shines is on the weekends though. We're new to Oklahoma so with every chance we get we're exploring the state's remote locations and fishing spots and the Mighty Pilot has been our adventure-mobile the whole time. I grew up wheelin' in the swamps of Florida and spent 10 years in the mountains of NY and from what I've experienced so far, the pilot would've fit right in either of those places.

We just got back from a long weekend in Colorado where we got to push the Mighty Pilot a bit and see what she's capable of and she didn't disappoint! I wasn't following Jeeps up Engineer Pass but Old Monarch Pass had some fun side trails that required the VTM4. This trip also instigated the first of many upgrades as we were needing to bring back a good amount of boxes from the in-laws. We travel with Augie, our 50 lb treeing tennessee brindle, so we could only fill the back so full and hauling the trailer out there seemed like overkill. So we decided on a roof rack. A bit of research and a few clicks in Amazon and we had some cross rails, a Tyger 57" roof basket, and a bunch of flood lights on their way. The basket looks and performed great with a bit of suggested mods to prevent rust done first. As the days are getting shorter and the nights cooler we'll be putting the lights (4x 72w flood pods) to good use on fishing and camping trips. Currently with 2 pointed back and 1 on either side it makes for a great camp setup.

On the immediate list of further upgrades is a mattress for the back. With the roof rack and some good bins, we figure we have all that room now - that and my trusty MSR tent has seen better days. To compliment, we'll get window deflectors and attach velcro to the inside to hold mosquito netting up. I'll also be installing the tranny and power steering coolers in the coming weeks since i'll be towing a couple motorcycles into the Ozarks in October. Beyond that, the wish list is large. We're about due for the dreaded timing belt/water pump replacement. I'd also like to get a bull bar up front (LOTS of deer), new headlights that aren't completely glazed over, and a front light bar for kicks before the year is up. Well see which directions things go though!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,575 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,875 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Welcome, and keep posting pics as the upgrades happen. Happy trails.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 186,000 miles
117 Posts
I also have a set of the cooper discoverer AT3’s. Absolutely love them so far. Took them of road a few times, never let me down! Welcome!

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
45 Posts
Awesome Pilot, I love that color.

It looks like those headlights might clean right up with a quick application of Meguiar's Plast-X, because they don't look too far gone. Mine looked just about the same when I purchased it, but the Meguiar's cleaned them right up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
50 Posts
I'm new to forums in general but I find myself on this one frequently enough so I figure I'd share a bit about the Mighty Pilot as we've named it. We picked up this 06 Pilot EX-L AWD for a great deal in summer of 2018. It had a perfect service record from the same dealer it was initially purchased at and was in immaculate condition. My wife's family is in CO and we have to pass some restricted winter roads so with some research we soon replaced the tires for Cooper Discover AT3 4s's. Probably a different post, but I can't say enough good about these tires! Most of it's use is a daily commuter between the country to the city and back for my wife which it performs just fine at. Where it really shines is on the weekends though. We're new to Oklahoma so with every chance we get we're exploring the state's remote locations and fishing spots and the Mighty Pilot has been our adventure-mobile the whole time. I grew up wheelin' in the swamps of Florida and spent 10 years in the mountains of NY and from what I've experienced so far, the pilot would've fit right in either of those places.

We just got back from a long weekend in Colorado where we got to push the Mighty Pilot a bit and see what she's capable of and she didn't disappoint! I wasn't following Jeeps up Engineer Pass but Old Monarch Pass had some fun side trails that required the VTM4. This trip also instigated the first of many upgrades as we were needing to bring back a good amount of boxes from the in-laws. We travel with Augie, our 50 lb treeing tennessee brindle, so we could only fill the back so full and hauling the trailer out there seemed like overkill. So we decided on a roof rack. A bit of research and a few clicks in Amazon and we had some cross rails, a Tyger 57" roof basket, and a bunch of flood lights on their way. The basket looks and performed great with a bit of suggested mods to prevent rust done first. As the days are getting shorter and the nights cooler we'll be putting the lights (4x 72w flood pods) to good use on fishing and camping trips. Currently with 2 pointed back and 1 on either side it makes for a great camp setup.

On the immediate list of further upgrades is a mattress for the back. With the roof rack and some good bins, we figure we have all that room now - that and my trusty MSR tent has seen better days. To compliment, we'll get window deflectors and attach velcro to the inside to hold mosquito netting up. I'll also be installing the tranny and power steering coolers in the coming weeks since i'll be towing a couple motorcycles into the Ozarks in October. Beyond that, the wish list is large. We're about due for the dreaded timing belt/water pump replacement. I'd also like to get a bull bar up front (LOTS of deer), new headlights that aren't completely glazed over, and a front light bar for kicks before the year is up. Well see which directions things go though! View attachment 139903 View attachment 139904 View attachment 139905 View attachment 139907
We called our '07 Pilot, Pete.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
We called our '07 Pilot, Pete.
I'll repeat this for those of you just joining us...

I used to have a car I called "Flattery." Because it got me nowhere.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
33 Posts
I thought I would go with new headlight lamps as save myself the hassle of sanding & polishing my old headlights, plus I wanted a different look. In the end I had to spend a little more money to properly aim/adjust the new headlight lamps. I also added a bull bar and bug deflector on the hood.

9F29B278-3B2F-407A-BF7A-2B84F0D83478.jpeg
4F87B2CA-3AC8-49C5-91C9-A29B3B5190BB.jpeg

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I thought I would go with new headlight lamps as save myself the hassle of sanding & polishing my old headlights, plus I wanted a different look. In the end I had to spend a little more money to properly aim/adjust the new headlight lamps. I also added a bull bar and bug deflector on the hood.

View attachment 140062
Nice headlights. (Sorry for that if you're a lady.) :)

Is that an AVS Bugflector II?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Nice wax job on the body. Where did you get the new high beams?

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EXL-RES
33 Posts
Nice headlights. (Sorry for that if you're a lady.) :)

Is that an AVS Bugflector II?
Not a lady, but thanks for checking. 😉

yes, it is the AVS bug deflector.

Nice wax job on the body. Where did you get the new high beams?
Thanks, it had been SOOOO long since it had been given such a good cleaning that I clay barred, medium compounded, polished and waxed. So happy with the results on a 16 year old paint job.

I can’t find where I purchased the new lights, but here a a similar link. I recall paying around $80 for them last year:

-Mike

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I can’t find where I purchased the new lights, but here a a similar link. I recall paying around $80 for them last year:

I hear ya on waxing an polishing. I’ve spent all summer addressing the rust and corrosion under the Pilot so it’s time for the upper before the winter. Thanks to you I got a pair of head lights in my cart.

·
Registered
57 Posts

On the immediate list of further upgrades is a mattress for the back. With the roof rack and some good bins, we figure we have all that room now - that and my trusty MSR tent has seen better days. To compliment, we'll get window deflectors and attach velcro to the inside to hold mosquito netting up. I'll also be installing the tranny and power steering coolers in the coming weeks since i'll be towing a couple motorcycles into the Ozarks in October. Beyond that, the wish list is large. We're about due for the dreaded timing belt/water pump replacement. I'd also like to get a bull bar up front (LOTS of deer), new headlights that aren't completely glazed over, and a front light bar for kicks before the year is up. Well see which directions things go though! View attachment 139903 View attachment 139904 View attachment 139905 View attachment 139907
I don't know if you can beat those years of Pilots. We've got an '05 that's had normal wear item replaced but it's been great. 210K. I found a 2007 Pilot original owner,LX garaged and dealer maintained. 64K. The guy wanted $2K over KBB but it was a bargain. I couldn't talk the other half into buying it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts