Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Pilot brochure today. Expecting arrival of my new EX-L next week. Read in the brochure that LATCH is only offered in the outer seating positions in the second row. Have ordered the LATCH adapter for my daughter's child seat and want to keep it in the middle where it is safest. Like the idea of LATCH so I do not have to have the middle seatbelt hang from the ceiling. Is it possible to still put the seat in the middle and use the inner hooks from the outside seating positions to make the LATCH connection? Anyone tried yet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There was an article with a Honda guy saying that the inner hooks will work. So long as the LATCH attachments you're using can span the distance. E.g. some seats have stiff attachment bars that look for the LATCH points in a more standard spacing. Others (probably including the LATCH adapter you've ordered) use some kind of nylon or polyester belting and hooks and can adapt to different spacing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a copy of the article? Got mine today - surprise early delivery :) Think it will work in the middle. Waiting for my LATCH adapter in the mail.

·
Registered
232 Posts
autobahn,

I started a similar thread entitled "LATCH System" in the general discussion area but it's a little old so you'll have to scroll down a few pages and you'll find it. :D There is some useful info there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
autobahn said:
Do you have a copy of the article? Got mine today - surprise early delivery :) Think it will work in the middle. Waiting for my LATCH adapter in the mail.
Oops, sorry for the delay, I haven't come by for a while. The article is at:

<A href="http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=78217&srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/mvp/honda/pilot/pilot_overview.tmpl">Cars.com Article</a>

"There are LATCH universal anchors in the second row’s outboard seats, and Honda’s Paluch said a LATCH-compatible seat with tethered as opposed to rigid attachments may be usable between the inner anchors in the center position."

·
Registered
481 Posts
Got my latch adapter for a Cosco car seat yesterday. I put the seat in the middle position and hooked the adapter to the inboard latch hardware on the outer seats. Works beautifully. Couldn't believe how secure the seat was. Made it scary to think about how for months (in other cars) I held the child seat in place with just a seat belt.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LATCH Works

Got my LATCH kit over a week ago and installed it in the center seat. Works great! Plenty of length in the strap. Beats using that stupid metal clip, pulling down the center seat belt on the Pilot and leaving creases in the belt.

Got this one:
200834 EZ Latch Kit $22.49
from www.babycenter.com

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a three year old with a booster seat and I'm going to get the tether anchor kit (maybe the Evenflo one- it got great write-ups). My question is, do you use the upper tether anchors as well or just the lower anchors. If you do use the upper anchors too, where do you get them? The ones that I have been seeing seem to be just the lower ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oops, one more question. When you use the inside anchors of the outside seats, can you still move those seats to access the third row?

·
Registered
481 Posts
haven't tried that, but I don't think so just from the position of the latch bracket.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The LATCH kits only offer the belt in lieu of the seat belt. The tether comes as part of the child seat. Only the middle row offers the lower anchor point. Both rows offer the top tether.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Close Up

Here is the LATCH connector

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car Seat

Here it is in the middle...

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Chiquita,

with the seat in the middle position using the LATCH system, you can't access the third row. The seat needs to be removed, and then you can roll the jump seat forward to get to the third row.

·
Registered
232 Posts
autobahn......thanks for the pics and testimonial. We'll be installing an infant seat base and would like it in the middle of the 2nd row and it looks like it will work great!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheesehead said:
autobahn......thanks for the pics and testimonial. We'll be installing an infant seat base and would like it in the middle of the 2nd row and it looks like it will work great!
Should not be a problem. If you got leather, put something under it in order to not dent it. Think you can see what we did in the pictures. You should also have fun finding a mirror to clip on the seat back so you can see the baby. Wish I had a picture of the one we hung with zip ties in our Jeep from the light in the cargo area.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Autobahn,

Is that some sort of pad that you used under the seat?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MG Pilot said:
Autobahn,

Is that some sort of pad that you used under the seat?
Why yes. ;) Got a padded car seat thingy that had some depth to it to keep the seat from digging in when it is firmly locked into place. Got the tip from a 58 year old co-worker who was proud of his wife's Odyssey EX-LRES (and two kids - ages 1.5 and 4). Here is a better picture - actually the day we picked up our Pilot. Notice no LATCH belt at that time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
autobahn said:

Why yes. ;) Got a padded car seat thingy that had some depth to it to keep the seat from digging in when it is firmly locked into place.
Ack! Please don't use any kind of padding under your car seat. In a crash, the padding will compress and your child's seat will be loose - way too loose for safety. If you need something to keep your seat from slipping, especially on a leather seat, you can use that rubbery shelf liner stuff, the kind that isn't adhesive. But nothing thicker than that. Your child's safety is worth a lot more than your seats!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts