Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Piloteers!

Just today, we found that our middle row right seat, the single one, slides but will not lock back into place.

We have done all the basic troubleshooting as any good Pilot lover does, ensuring that the seat back is locked back in position correctly and I have cleaned the track and ensured that there are no obstructions underneath. Both latches, the top and side, seem to work correctly, as does the front pull bar to normally release the seat from the track. The vehicle was owned by a single person up until two years ago when we purchased it so the entire rear portion of the vehicle was brand new and barely used so we know it is not a wearing out of parts issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and have an idea of how to fix? I’d really appreciate not having to take it to the dealership during COVID!

Admins, yes, I found and reviewed this post but they haven’t responded, nor can I add/reply to it, for whatever reason:

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's been a while, but when I had to repair mine the problem was the cables not engaging / retracting properly, so the latch wouldn't cycle enough to change from "locked" to "unlocked".

You can get a pair of needle-nose pliers on the cables and pull without the lever to see if the business end of the cable that's attached to the latch at the bottom moves proportionally in both directions. That should tell you where to look next. I would guess that there's a retraction spring that's broken or disconnected, but my memory of this one is hazy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a while, but when I had to repair mine the problem was the cables not engaging / retracting properly, so the latch wouldn't cycle enough to change from "locked" to "unlocked".

You can get a pair of needle-nose pliers on the cables and pull without the lever to see if the business end of the cable that's attached to the latch at the bottom moves proportionally in both directions. That should tell you where to look next. I would guess that there's a retraction spring that's broken or disconnected, but my memory of this one is hazy.
Thank you so much!! Glad to hear some confirming thought to my gut. Will do. I called my friend who’s the Service Manager/Director at the Honda dealership and, of course, they need to see it. Good news is, they hadn’t heard of it actually being something broken often enough (more often something stuck or similar).

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Polly Pockets are notorious for getting caught in such places rendering clips, latches and cables useless.

By chance, do you have the second row seats that will slid sideways by chance? The Odysseys second row seats will slid sideways to allow for easier access to the third row. It has to be fully to the inside or outside to lock in place. I don't know if this could cause an issue with the forward/backward movement locking or not. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Polly Pockets, yep—I can see that! My girls weren’t into those tiny toys (that would’ve been too easy), only the big dolls. ;)
Our 2013 EXL does not have the slide sideways second row seats. It’s split, and thankfully, this seat is the single one that we most usually use to move forward to access the third row (we’re a family of 6).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts