Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the glass cleaning thread, SoapPlant pointed to a link with some great cleaning ideas using microfiber towels. I did a quick search on Google, and found a wide variety of sites selling these towels. Prices range from $3.95 to $14.00 for a 16x16 towel. This is a huge price spread! :eek:

Are there any real differences within microfiber towels? I see Blue and Green towels listed as cleaning different surfaces. Are some types better suited for car care than others? :8:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try www.pakshak.com and tell Ranney that you were referred by Autopia website. You'll get better pricing.

Or JT International. E-mail Tom at [email protected]. Again mention the Autopia website.

Both have gotten excellent reviews for product and service. The guys who post on Autopia are very critical of the products they use and only want the absolute best for their car care.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I need to learn more about detailing and have looked around on autopia to see what folks are up to. It's a great site. I also looked at the pakshak website to check out their product. The pakshak website claims that you don't need to use soap to wash your car if you use their microfiber towels. I assume that might be possible only if you have a very little dirt on your vehicle. What do you think about the claim? Anyone going to wash their Pilot without soap?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would be hesitant to not use soap at all. I do use very little (Meguiar's Gold Class), but it's still important to get good suds to suspend particles. But then again, I don't trust the qick detailing sprays even if it's just a thin dusting on the car. I use QD's just to add additional shine after a wash.

BTW-I'm sure it won't be popular for the die hards out there, but I'm actually happy with the microfiber towels I got from Walmart. They have them in a two pack for about $4.00. One pack even had a third one free. They work great. I'm sure there are varying levels of quality in the MF towels, but these do a great job. Much better than the cotton cloths that I was using.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
I LOVE using microfiber towels to clean the glass on my vehicles...works awesome!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
xyzzy said:
I would be hesitant to not use soap at all. I do use very little (Meguiar's Gold Class), but it's still important to get good suds to suspend particles. But then again, I don't trust the qick detailing sprays even if it's just a thin dusting on the car. I use QD's just to add additional shine after a wash.

BTW-I'm sure it won't be popular for the die hards out there, but I'm actually happy with the microfiber towels I got from Walmart. They have them in a two pack for about $4.00. One pack even had a third one free. They work great. I'm sure there are varying levels of quality in the MF towels, but these do a great job. Much better than the cotton cloths that I was using.

Chris
Hey thanks for the response. When you say you use very little - how much is that? How much less than the recommened amount. And what are QDs?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Very little to me is a squirt of soap about the size of a silver dollar into a 2 gallon bucket that I fill to about 1.7 gallons.

QDs are quick detailers. They are often marketed as a way to clean your car when it's not really that dirty, just dusty. They reportedly suspend the dirt into the liquid so that they don't scratch the finish when you wipe them off. Most Autopians use them to just finish off a shine.

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
xyzzy said:
Very little to me is a squirt of soap about the size of a silver dollar into a 2 gallon bucket that I fill to about 1.7 gallons.

QDs are quick detailers. They are often marketed as a way to clean your car when it's not really that dirty, just dusty. They reportedly suspend the dirt into the liquid so that they don't scratch the finish when you wipe them off. Most Autopians use them to just finish off a shine.

Chris
Hey Chris, do you find a problem with Meguiar's Gold Class Wash sudsing enough if you don't add enough liquid? I find that I don't add enough it doesn't really suds too well. If I add some more, then its perfectly fine. Maybe its just the hard water around here that Leo complains about?

You're right about the quick detailers. I'm hesitant to use them if the're too much dust on the car. I usually only use them to remove spots, or especially after washing the car, to remove any remaining water spots and give a nice shine.

Have you ever conisdered the California Duster. I see lots of Autopians swearing by them, so I picked up one for $10 at Pep Boys and thought I would give it a shot. I was surprised at how seemingly well it worked. Didn't appear to scratch the surface, and I actually had to use only very light pressure. Then I followed up with a quick detailer. I also picked up their dash duster for about $8 at Auto Zone, and really like it. Great for cleaning off the top of the dash, door ledges, etc. - very quick way to keep things clean inside, and it traps the dust rather than blowing it around.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Does anyone use a silicone-type squeegee to clean off the majority of the water??? I used one last night that I bought at Walmart and I thought it worked pretty slick...

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
919 Posts
I haven't used any of the dusters. I've seen them, but I'm still paranoid of even using those (it's just me, really). I haven't had a problem with Meguiar's GC wash not generating enough suds and we have some seriously hard water around here (I could dry my car with a chisel). I would love to find a portable water softener to help with hard water as 3/4 of my time washing a car is spent removing hard water spots. All of the small water filters I've seen are just for chorine/drinking use, not softeners.

MG,

I haven't used a squegee as I would be too paranoid of scratching the surface. My first drying pass is done with my trusty Stihl leaf blower. It really gets the water out of all the crevices and from around the roof rack bars.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
xyzzy said:
MG,

I haven't used a squegee as I would be too paranoid of scratching the surface. My first drying pass is done with my trusty Stihl leaf blower. It really gets the water out of all the crevices and from around the roof rack bars.

Chris
Very interesting...I will try that next time-

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mkell said:
I need to learn more about detailing and have looked around on autopia to see what folks are up to. It's a great site. I also looked at the pakshak website to check out their product.
BTW, I've ordered some MF's from the pakshak last
week, and got them yesterday. Excellent service,
pleasure to do business with. Very nice MF's.
Overal -- perfect seller and excellent product
at great (!) prices.
Nevertheless I don't see a reason not to use
soap unless you ran out of it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I understand your point Kruzo. Folks will think this is a bit extreme, but I was intrigued at the notion that you could use mf towels and skip the soap because I live along the Potomac river and don't want to contribute to the run off pollution that is making the river less safe for boating and fishing. As a local kayaker I spend a lot of time upside down in the water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts