Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for a set of budget friendly, all weather, smooth riding and quiet Michelin tires. Any picks out there?

Thanks!

I have a 2014 EX-L Pilot

·
Registered
711 Posts
Why Michelin? The factory Michelin's were OK, but didn't last very long?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm less than half way into the wear depth on the original tires with 35k or so showing. They seem to ride fine and they are still pretty quiet. If you don't need serious snow or off-road performance, they might be a good replacement.

In my limited experience, buying "bargain" or "low budget" tires for a car you plan to drive is a sucker bet. I figure that I "rent" tires similar to the way I "rent" battery capacity. Pay a little more up front, get longer more reliable life and a matching warranty.

Do some reading in some of the threads here that discuss discuss readers' own selections and justifications. Decide realistically what your use pattern and driving habits are like. Then look at tires that support those needs.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I get the impression from some of the responses that Michelins are the only quality tire... Had many Michelins in my life and while most have been good I did not like the factory set that came on the Pilot. Wore out too fast, not good wet traction, noisy, too soft, etc. I got the Pirelli Verde's in the XL load rating (for towing and full payload situations), we've been thrilled with them so far. Highly rated on Tire Rack, much more cost efficient than the Michelins. No regrets here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Michelin has made, and continues to make, very good tires. Because of that (& good marketing) they have earned a good reputation (name recognition). Tire buying is very difficult due to all the choices & the fact that it is hard to sift through all the data, and hard to road-test before you buy. So many people just buy based on name recognition. All of which allows Michelin to keep their prices high.

But the industry has changed and become much more competitive, due largely to the relatively low cost of high-performance computing and today's rapid flow of know-how. I now think of Michelin as one possibly good tire among many. But probably not the best value. Damn thing is, now you have to do your homework!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As mentioned by cintocrunch need to get a tire with the correct load rating and reviews. Load rating will go down with speed and high outdoor temp. My used pilot came with new general tire--hts i think--which did not last a xc trip under full load at high speed. I have Michelin defenders now which I am very happy with after 7k miles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Inflated to 32. They were new last year.
The General Grabber HTS was replaced several years ago by the HTS60.
How old were the HTS tires you had and to what pressure were they inflated?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even if you bought them last year, the HTS was discontinued several years ago.
What was the manufacturing datecode on those tires?
Those horrible tires are long gone. Got rid of them with 3/4 tread left. Might be good for non load ride.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Based on the 35k miles I got out of a set of LTX MS2 tires (these are rated for 70k miles) I have no plans to purchase Michelins again for my Pilot. Not worth the price premium to me. Overall it was a good tire but treadlife stinks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I absolutely hated the stock Michelins on my 2015 Pilot. Yes, they were quiet, but if you listen to music, that's not that big of a deal anyways. My wife only managed to get 32k miles on them(bought it brand new) before they needed to be replaced. They were rotated at every oil change and PSI was always kept at 35. They were also a bit too soft/spongy for my liking. I feel like the sidewall started to flex too much when approaching turns at too fast of a speed(which could of course been avoided by slowing down). I replaced them with a set of Continental TruContacts. They're an 80 or 90k mile tire, but I don't expect to get that much. I'd be happy at half of that considering they were several hundred dollars cheaper than the Michelins were. I think I paid about $850 in total at Discount Tire and that included mounting and balancing as well as lifetime rotations and patches if needed. If tires couldn't be patched, I get a new one at no deductible. I was also able to stack my mail in rebates. There was a $70 rebate that expired the day I bought them, but their credit card machine was down so I didn't get a paid invoice. They billed me the following day and had a $100 rebate at that time. I sent in both of them and received credit for both of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The mich defenders need a psi of 38 according to the manufactuer rep i talked with. I pump them up to 40 in the back when under heavy load. Not sure if that matters as much for wear.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Theoretically higher tire pressure should decrease wear since the tire patch area which contacts the pavement decreases. I’m guessing it’s not too significant for a 3 psi increase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Theoretically higher tire pressure should decrease wear since the tire patch area which contacts the pavement decreases. I’m guessing it’s not too significant for a 3 psi increase.
When it's under heavy load it makes a significant difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts