Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Michelin LTX wear

Just wanted to post a few pics of the wear on my Michelin LTX M/S tires on a 2011 Pilot touring; it has about 72,000 kms (45,000 miles). I was initially taken aback by parts of the tread peeling/separating, but then figured:

1. the tires are 7 years old so it may due to the rubber compound aging(?), and
  2. I don't put on a lot of mileage and therefore don't go through sets of tires to have real experience..
Figured it might be just par for the course, but since I took the pics, I'll post it and it may help someone down the road.

Did a lot of reading on replacement tires on this forum and settled on getting Defender LTX M/S installed next week - hope those serve us well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
If you don't do a lot of miles every year, them Michelin may not be the right brand for you. Simply due to their long wearing tendency.
After two sets of Michelin's during 25k a year, I put much cheaper tires on as mikes per year is much lower than before.
Five years is typically the max age you read about for tires regardless of miles covered.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Just wanted to post a few pics of the wear on my Michelin Premier LTX tires on a 2011 Pilot touring; it has about 72,000 kms (45,000 miles). I was initially taken aback by parts of the tread peeling/separating, but then figured:

1. the tires are 7 years old so it may due to the rubber compound aging(?), and
  2. I don't put on a lot of mileage and therefore don't go through sets of tires to have real experience..
Figured it might be just par for the course, but since I took the pics, I'll post it and it may help someone down the road.
You can't possibly have a set of seven-year-old Michelin Premier LTX tires because they were introduced in mid-2015.
Either you have a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires and they are, at most, about 3-and-a-half years old or you have a different set of tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't possibly have a set of seven-year-old Michelin Premier LTX tires because they were introduced in mid-2015.
Either you have a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires and they are, at most, about 3-and-a-half years old or you have a different set of tires.

Well, I went and double-checked and you're right! .. I have absolutely no idea how I got it stuck in my head that they were Premiers; they are in fact LTX M/S ... DOT 4010. I'm thankful for the folks that take the time to share info on this forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't do a lot of miles every year, them Michelin may not be the right brand for you. Simply due to their long wearing tendency.
After two sets of Michelin's during 25k a year, I put much cheaper tires on as mikes per year is much lower than before.
Five years is typically the max age you read about for tires regardless of miles covered.

Thanks - that makes good sense given all the reading I've been doing.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had a set of the MXV4 which was the OEM tire on my 2012 do that same thing after 15k. They were a replacement set put on by the dealer I purchased the car from. They wore like crap and after the 4th nail in the right front tire I decided to change them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts