Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got a new set of Bridgestone Duelers at Costco as they were $130 off (the current monthly special). I had Michelin's on the Pilot prior, and this last pair (not sure of model #) lasted close to 80k miles. The Duelers ride ok, but they are definitely louder at most any speed (much deeper tread), and a common theme in the reviews seem to be that they get very loud by mid life. I do not like loud tires at all (probably a bigger deal than ride comfort to me) so do not want this scenario. Any 03-08' Pilot owners out there with any experience with these two tires? Costco also offers the Michelin Premier LTX, which gets ok reviews. Don't need the tread of the Dueler, but also a hassle returning the tires and getting others put on.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Not sure about Premier, but I have Defenders and they are on the louder side than my previous Firestone Destination which came on the car already used.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've read lots of things about very early tread wear on the Premier LTX tires. I looked on Costco a few weeks ago and for some reason the Defenders weren't offered for the Pilot which is a bit disappointing. If i had to pick one of the 2 I would choose the Bridgestone.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Personally I won’t buy tires from Costco as the perceived savings isn’t worth the limited options. Just my two cents. Your results may vary.😁

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya, but with them being less than a mile from my work, and how they handle flat repairs, road hazard protection, etc, it's not worth it to me to not use them. Tirerack has only one more choice for my '04 in Bridgestone & Michelin.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
So just got a new set of Bridgestone Duelers at Costco as they were $130 off (the current monthly special). I had Michelin's on the Pilot prior, and this last pair (not sure of model #) lasted close to 80k miles. The Duelers ride ok, but they are definitely louder at most any speed (much deeper tread), and a common theme in the reviews seem to be that they get very loud by mid life. I do not like loud tires at all (probably a bigger deal than ride comfort to me) so do not want this scenario. Any 03-08' Pilot owners out there with any experience with these two tires? Costco also offers the Michelin Premier LTX, which gets ok reviews. Don't need the tread of the Dueler, but also a hassle returning the tires and getting others put on.
If you want a less noisy tire and want to stay with Bridgestone, get the Ecopia H/L 422 Plus - however, you'll be giving up some winter traction.
The Michelin Premier LTX will be quiet, but doesn't have particularly long treadlife.
From among the tires Costco offers to fit your Pilot, since you're in PA where it snows (and unless you switch over to winter tires) the Michelin Defender LTX M/S would be the best choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, unfotunately they're not showing the Defender as available for some reason. I am most certain that's what I had previous that were awesome, close to 80k out of them. On tirerack, some complain about getting 30-40k miles out of the Premier LTX while others are getting 70-80k. Not sure what's up with that. I agree though, in PA I guess I would sacrifice some more road noise for snow traction. Doubt there's much better than the Dueler for that.

And the Duelers get #3 out of 30 rating on tirerack, so guess I should just stick with them.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Those with 30-40k probably need to do the alignment. Are they, coincidentally, the same ones complaining about them being noisy? If the tires "sing" on the HW, then the alignment is likely off, especially the toe.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the Bridgestone Alenza Plus and got them from Costco too. I have an 03 which is not the most quiet car to begin with. I like the ride and I think they are decently quiet. I have over 25k on them and they are maybe 50% worn. I went on a long trip recently and two tires had to be replaced due to road hazards with glass/metal. I had to pay 50% of each new tire as they were 50% worn (about $170 total). Costco is fair with enforcing the road hazard policy unlike some tire shops. I would buy these again and from Costco.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Yeah, unfotunately they're not showing the Defender as available for some reason. I am most certain that's what I had previous that were awesome, close to 80k out of them. On tirerack, some complain about getting 30-40k miles out of the Premier LTX while others are getting 70-80k. Not sure what's up with that. I agree though, in PA I guess I would sacrifice some more road noise for snow traction. Doubt there's much better than the Dueler for that.

And the Duelers get #3 out of 30 rating on tirerack, so guess I should just stick with them.
I checked the Costco tire listings for stores near Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S appears as an option at both locations.
What store location were you using?
Did you search by vehicle or by tire size (235/70R16)?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
From among the tires Costco offers to fit your Pilot, since you're in PA where it snows (and unless you switch over to winter tires) the Michelin Defender LTX M/S would be the best choice.
Gotta agree, and even if you do switch over to winter tires, as I do. Been three years now on my Michelin LTX M/S2s (predecessors to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S) and I'm still happy as a dog with two... [NSFW, but apparently a real idiom]. 🐕

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep
The Bridgestone Dueler Is the loudest of the two for sure in my case. I wish I had stayed with Michelin.
Yep, can tell after having them a week they're only going to get louder. Went to Costco yesterday and they're switching them to the Michelin Defenders. Only about a $6 up-charge. Nice that Costco has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee if you truly don't like the tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put the ECOPIA EP422+ BW GRAND TOURING on our 2015 Pilot. I think they are quieter and handle better than the factor Michelins that were on the car (which didn't even last 40K miles). So far, so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts