Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I doubt the price of Michelin's has a budgetary dependence on advertising given annual revenues upwards of $28 billion. Any more than the price of a can of Pepsi has any relation to it's advertising budget. It's a myth that you pay more just for the advertising.

More the opposite. Effective advertising increases market share, increases volume, lowers per unit operating expense. So if anything, per unit price is advantageously affected.

The Pilot is not a high performance vehicle and as far as i can tell, the Michelin Premiers on it now don't have me wishing they had better or higher performance in any handling aspect I dare or care to push the Pilot to.

I wanted a luxury tire with a smooth quiet ride and good tracking and stopping performance in wet weather, which we get plenty of here in Florida. I believe I got all I wanted and at a price I was willing to pay. Michelin is one of the largest tire manufacturers in the world, so I have to assume others feel the same way I do.

While I don't necessarily doubt that the Sumitomo is a good tire for the price, I don't think it is totally immune from the truism that you get what you pay for.
Michelins profit margin proves there is a blind following. I'm in no way trying to discredit their track record. They make good tires. They are a safe bet. Where I get off the train is on price, tire selection (category), and my desire to have a 60k mile tire to last 3 years (possibly 4 since the pandemic, just not driving as much since).
Michelin seems to want to push a rock hard 80-90k mile truck tire for our Pilots, or your thrown over into the touring tire category, giving you a cushy bouncing ride with less handling. I have no desire to pay $300‐400 extra for a set, just because of brand loyalty. Some of that loyalty is misplaced. Michelin is going to do what's best for Michelin. I'm going to do the same if that means buying tires from a factory in Japan. Michelin has no problem making their Defender LTX in Mexico. Since I now am caring for 8 vehicles (was 9). A savings of $300-400 times 8 vehicles by dropping the big 3 from my list, is proving to be the right course for us financially. I'm into 3 sets of Sumitomos on 2 vehicles for a savings of about $1,000. We often carry a large load in the Pilot.., wheelchair, luggage 4 passengers (5000lbs). The High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s inflated to 41psi hot make for an amazing safe ride for 75mph driving in a loaded Pilot. So far I'm winning with no regrets. I don't have a complaint. If I thought the road noise was bad, I'd say so. I know the road noise is significantly less since getting off the Bridgestone Duelers that were from the factory.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
The Sumitomo tire is ideally suited to the driver who wants "a slightly softer ride that was compliant over small or repetitive impacts, but was a little out of its element on larger bumps" and who would not be bothered by a tire that "from a noise standpoint was arguably the loudest and most distinctive" or whose "slightly heavy steering was a little slow to respond."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=254
Says the TireRack test track driver who claims the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS is a great tire.

What consumers think...

Don't believe everything you read.
Here is what consumers think about High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
I have great faith in this rebuild. After all, the parts used were all OEM. (veins from my own legs). I also have great faith in the surgeon. He actually performed the grafts without ever stopping the heart! I can't imagine how that's even possible but assume it takes great talent and a lot of experience.
Wishing you max life. :)

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
The Sumitomo tire is ideally suited to the driver who wants "a slightly softer ride that was compliant over small or repetitive impacts, but was a little out of its element on larger bumps" and who would not be bothered by a tire that "from a noise standpoint was arguably the loudest and most distinctive" or whose "slightly heavy steering was a little slow to respond."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=254
Doesn't sound like a tire I'd be happy with at any price. Loudest, heavy steering, slow to respond and out of its element on larger bumps. Especially considering the review was against tires I've never heard of. And entry level ones at that.

I recently notice one of the rear tires on the John Deere was flat. Took it to Discount Tire to get patched and they informed me the hole was too big to patch. I asked what a new tire would cost and they informed me it would be $128 plus tax plus installation or $149.60 OTD. I picked up the same size tire at Lowe's for $48 and took it to Discount Tire and asked them to rotate and balance the $1,000 worth of Michelins they put on my Pilot and to mount the new Lowe's tire on the John Deere rim. I told them I wasn't expecting a charge on the tire mount if they wanted to sell me any more Michelins or any tires for that matter.

I didn't even check what brand tire was on the JD, I don't care. I think it might be a Carlisle. The tire I got at Lowe's was a 4 ply compared to the 2 ply OEM tire. The tractor doesn't go over 20mph so I'm not concerned with any performance or safety issues as I would be for tires on the Pilot. The point being, I don't like spending money on simple blind brand loyalty for the sake of brand loyalty, but where performance and safety are concerned like on car tires my family rides on, I don't mind spending more for non-entry-level stuff. I have no doubt the $48 tire will allow the tractor to cut my grass and haul dirt around as well and safely as the $150 one. Maybe better as the 4 ply will hopefully resist punctures better than the OEM.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Not enough miles in the reviews on the PO3's.
Give it another 6 months....
When you've bought your 3rd set, your pretty much ridin on your own experience with the product. 😁
Obviously Ice and snow will drag down the rating.

161 - 166 of 166 Posts