Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,261 Posts
If you were old, you'd remember when there were no channel numbers above 13.
Not true. PBS was on UHF channel 17, for which you had to adjust the circular antenna. That's where we'd watch Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, The Last of the Mohicans (a version truer to the James Fenimore Cooper book) presented by Alistair Cooke on Masterpiece Theater, and of course Monty Python's Flying Circus. All uninterrupted by tire commercials. (See how I tried to steer somewhat back onto topic there?)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Maybe I'm not old......since we are posting in a car forum, I was referring to SiriusXM radio channels. But then I guess I am old as I didn't explain clearly. Age can have something to do with clarity.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,270 Posts
If you were old, you'd remember when there were no UHF channels - only VHF 2-13.
If you are old enough there was no UHF/VHF. It was just channel 2-13 on a black and white TV and you were lucky if you got 3 channels total.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you are old enough there was no UHF/VHF. It was just channel 2-13 on a black and white TV and you were lucky if you got 3 channels total.
The B&W set was all vacuum tube and there was a TV repairman who made house calls.
Three channels here, too, but only if the antenna was aimed just right and you stood on one leg next to the set.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
If you were old, you'd remember when there were no UHF channels - only VHF 2-13.
You were watching TV before 1952? OK, you truly were the Greatest Generation. Thanks for beating Hilter and Tojo's boys.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You were watching TV before 1952? OK, you truly were the Greatest Generation. Thanks for beating Hilter and Tojo's boys.
Either that or your family didn't yet own one of those new-fangled sets with a UHF tuner.
Plus, you needed a separate bowtie and chicken wire style antenna to receive UHF stations.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Or steel wool and a coat hanger.

Whatever happened to resourcefulness and the pioneer spirit?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Or steel wool and a coat hanger.
Whatever happened to resourcefulness and the pioneer spirit?
We only had the type of steel wool pads that were coated with soap.
All of our coat hangers were made of wood.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
In recent Michelin Defender LTX news.....

·
Registered
3,746 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Some might say...
I didn't know that.
I thought they were made in the USA.
I never buy imported tires.
We got sold out.
They are not as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Some might say...
I didn't know that.
I thought they were made in the USA.
I never buy imported tires.
We got sold out.
They are not as good as they used to be.
Plenty of tires made in the USA that are garbage. It matters to me for some things but I've generally never been that much of a stickler for the tires, I get the tire I like and don't worry about where it is made.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Plenty of tires made in the USA that are garbage. It matters to me for some things but I've generally never been that much of a stickler for the tires, I get the tire I like and don't worry about where it is made.
I'm not completely oblivious to where something is made. I don't like buying overpriced imported goods.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
In recent Michelin Defender LTX news.....
View attachment 147593
Source?

As far as I was able to ascertain, Michelin tires with the following DOT codes were manufactured in Canada (all their Canadian plants are in Nova Scotia):
  • DOT B3,
  • DOT HN,
  • DOT M5.

Gonna have to go out, squat and squint to see where my Michelin LTX M/S2s were made.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Source?

As far as I was able to ascertain, Michelin tires with the following DOT codes were manufactured in Canada (all their Canadian plants are in Nova Scotia):
  • DOT B3,
  • DOT HN,
  • DOT M5.

Gonna have to go out, squat and squint to see where my Michelin LTX M/S2s were made.
Seems Michelin likes to save face where it can. The plan for the Mexico plant was to supply tires south of the border. I'm sure they are. That's how this plant was originally sold. It was only a matter of time before some of their llantas made it across the Rio Grande. Esta todo bien, verdad?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Seems Michelin likes to save face where it can. The plan for the Mexico plant was to supply tires south of the border. I'm sure they are. That's how this plant was originally sold. It was only a matter of time before some of their llantas made it across the Rio Grande. Esta todo bien, verdad?
Was that photo taken of an unmounted tire in a US tire store or was it already on a vehicle?
It could well be that Michelin is supplying Mexican-made tires to assembly plants in Mexico for vehicles that are ultimately sold in the US.
Several pick-up trucks are made in Mexico.
Made in Mexico? These popular U.S. vehicles are produced south of the border

101 - 120 of 166 Posts