Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
I live it every day on 75mph highway. My X5 will have a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s when the time comes. It's a 6000lb vehicle.
But I don't so why would you assume that your Sumitomos would be better for my vehicle, roads or driving style?

·
Registered
9,365 Posts

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
But I don't so why would you assume that your Sumitomos would be better for my vehicle, roads or driving style?
Because I know there better than what you are currently driving on regardless of your driving style.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Beautiful landscape pics with terrain best traversed with AT tires with aggressive tread. OEM touring or all-season or high performance tires would be seriously handicapped on those off-pavement adventures. Got to use the right type of tire for the terrain.
The top two are 90 minutes from my house, the gypsum hills. Wonderful scenery and a fun drive. While not open range, there are few fences and those that exist have cattle guards on them. Most of the ranchers roads are open to drive.

In the other direction just 40 minutes away is the Flint hills. Not quite as rocky, but very much open with few fences. They still round up and cut out branded cattle in the Flint Hills twice a year as herds still mix. Far cheaper than fencing vast areas of land.

The bottom three are what roads out home can and do look like. My land is on the edge of the high plains. Snow is plentiful in the winter, and gravel country roads are the norm.

Once the world gets more back to normal, 18X 8.5 rims, Ridgeline rims I picked up for $400, never used, will be going on with a good AT tire.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Again show me your proof, not your opinion.
Please, be reasonable. If you loaded your vehicle with 1000lbs, you'd rather be on touring tires or high performance on a 75mph highway?

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Please, be reasonable. If you loaded your vehicle with 1000lbs, you'd rather be on touring tires or high performance on a 75mph highway?
Once again assuming how and where I drive. This conversation is over until you can show me proof that your performance tires are best for my driving style and locations.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Once again assuming how and where I drive. This conversation is over until you can show me proof that your performance tires are best for my driving style and locations.
Simply compare the specs of what your driving on versus Sumitomo HTR A/S P03. Your on factory tires. smirk

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Flashing the high beams seems to work most of the time.... never had much luck using the windshield washer though.
Flashing the high beams has no effect on tailgaters - that's what the windshield washer is for.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Well this thread thoroughly derailed.

I guess I should just point out that the Premier LTX (which I profess as being a car tire toughened up for SUV/Truck use and not a dedicated truck/SUV tire like the Defender LTX) has done just fine in my dad's Yukon XL. It's load ratings exceeded the OEM tires (Dueler H/L Alenza) and it has towed up to 6,000lbs with aplomb. But I still tell my dad to get the Defender next time.

I also have reservations about getting an all season performance tire for those who live where it can get cold/snowy. The compound is generally going to be softer at higher temps to provide more traction but will likely get harder and provide less traction at or below freezing.

The tires for the Pilot and Traverse have intentionally had load ratings higher than the OEM tires. I have no issues driving on the highway at 5-10 mph over the speed limit and don't think I need to upgrade to a performance tire for my family SUV just to make those manuevers feel even more comfortable.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Well this thread thoroughly derailed.

I guess I should just point out that the Premier LTX (which I profess as being a car tire toughened up for SUV/Truck use and not a dedicated truck/SUV tire like the Defender LTX) has done just fine in my dad's Yukon XL. It's load ratings exceeded the OEM tires (Dueler H/L Alenza) and it has towed up to 6,000lbs with aplomb. But I still tell my dad to get the Defender next time.

I also have reservations about getting an all season performance tire for those who live where it can get cold/snowy. The compound is generally going to be softer at higher temps to provide more traction but will likely get harder and provide less traction at or below freezing.

The tires for the Pilot and Traverse have intentionally had load ratings higher than the OEM tires. I have no issues driving on the highway at 5-10 mph over the speed limit and don't think I need to upgrade to a performance tire for my family SUV just to make those manuevers feel even more comfortable.
I wouldn't say derailed. Some great info has been suggested here.
High Performance tires do not necessarily = Summer tires. You said it, "All Season." Yes, some are rated better than others for ice and snow. Squishy touring tires can be just as dangerous in certain situations.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
It didn't quite reach freezing here last night but came close (frost warnings). When I drove the Pilot early this morning the first thing I noticed is the Premiers rode as soft as they did yesterday when they were hot. I noticed it because I'm used to the OEM Primacy MXV4s that gave a harsher ride on very cold mornings until they warmed up. I didn't try any traction tests but handling was very much the same as yesterday's new tire test drive in warmer weather. We'll be heading up to the cabin in Kentucky from Florida for Christmas so I might be the chance to see how the new tires perform on snow, but hopefully not ice.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I wouldn't say derailed. Some great info has been suggested here.
High Performance tires do not necessarily = Summer tires. You said it, "All Season." Yes, some are rated better than others for ice and snow. Squishy touring tires can be just as dangerous in certain situations.
The Tire Rack rep yesterday suggested the Michelin Cross Season as an alternative to the Premier if I was headed to possible snow country next week. Looks like Michelin is attempting to change the "All Season = No Season" stigma. Interesting tread pattern and good hot/good cold formulation.

Michelin CrossClimate 2 is Actually a Good All-Season Tire (bmwblog.com)

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Fucking construction!!!!!
My wife was constantly getting flats until she switched from using I-4 to the 429. I took the 429 north from the 414 yesterday for a new-tire test drive and was surprised how far they've built it. Looks like it won't be long before you'll be able to jump on it from Sanford. They've put these Sunpass/plate readers every so often so it could get pricey for communting but for my money it's well worth it. I used to use I-4 for test driving but if there's anything I hate more than a flat tire it's a brand new tire flat tire.

61 - 80 of 166 Posts