Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need four new tires, the ones on the 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD are Michelin Primacy MXV4 which I believe were the same as OEM. Discount tire is suggesting either the Micheline Premier LTX or Defender LTX, or a Goodyear tire but they have to order the Goodyears 4-5 days, so I didn't pursue them any further. The car is driven locally, short trips all on paved roads. Occasional highway driving. I value smooth, quiet ride over tread life. I realize the Pilot is a truck, rides not like a luxury sedan, and has a lot of wind and tire noise ... but I'd still like to get as smooth and quiet as possible a ride from the tires.

The Premiers are not in stock but at the local warehouse so available by morning. The Defenders are in stock and can be installed in the morning. We are going on a Christmas trip to a cabin in Kentucky and could have snow. The dealer suggests going with the Defenders.

I have to say I'm still reeling from sticker shock, $1022.32 for the Premiers with a $70 mail in rebate (whoopie) and $988.32 for the Defenders, same rebate. He said the Defenders will last about 10k miles longer but should ride the same as the Premiers.

A: am I paying too much? and B: is there a noticeable difference between to Defender and Premier? and C: should I wait for the Goodyears?

·
Registered
238 Posts
A: am I paying too much? and B: is there a noticeable difference between to Defender and Premier? and C: should I wait for the Goodyears?
The prices you quoted are pretty much the going rate these days for Michelins. Yes they are expensive, but in my experience generally worth it if you want a top of the line tire. I've bought all three tires in my time. The Goodyear tires can be okay, but IMHO they are a cut below the Michelin generally speaking. I have GY WeatherReady on my Pilot now and hate them. I prefer the Defenders over the Premier. They seem quieter, longer lasting and get better gas mileage. I bought Premier two times and in each case saw a 10% mpg drop. However they do have good sipping remaining for safety when the tires get worn. Nonetheless I will not buy them again. Personally I'll go with the Defenders next time.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was a good read, thanks for the link. One thing that's difficult to shop around for is how smooth a ride you'll get from specific make/model tires of specific make/model vehicles. So I was hoping for opinions from what I hope if a large user base of Pilot owners reshoeing their rides here with Michelin close to OEM tires. I looked up the Michelin Premier LTXs on tire rack's site and they go for slightly over $200 each so Discount Tire's price of $1,022.32 seems high. I will have to ask what the $200 over the price of the tires includes. I hope it includes installing, high speed balancing and even road hazard warrantees and new valve stems and sensors. But even if so, $50/tire seems high. Then there's always the disposal fee, tax and other cell-phone-bill-like unexplainable fees.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,269 Posts
That was a good read, thanks for the link. One thing that's difficult to shop around for is how smooth a ride you'll get from specific make/model tires of specific make/model vehicles. So I was hoping for opinions from what I hope if a large user base of Pilot owners reshoeing their rides here with Michelin close to OEM tires. I looked up the Michelin Premier LTXs on tire rack's site and they go for slightly over $200 each so Discount Tire's price of $1,022.32 seems high. I will have to ask what the $200 over the price of the tires includes. I hope it includes installing, high speed balancing and even road hazard warrantees and new valve stems and sensors. But even if so, $50/tire seems high. Then there's always the disposal fee, tax and other cell-phone-bill-like unexplainable fees.
Tire Rack is a good place to check the reviews of virtually every tire available today. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I have to say I'm still reeling from sticker shock, $1022.32 for the Premiers with a $70 mail in rebate (whoopie) and $988.32 for the Defenders, same rebate. He said the Defenders will last about 10k miles longer but should ride the same as the Premiers.

For reference my local Costco has 4 Michelin Defenders for approx $900 mounted, balanced, disposal. The alternating $150 off deal is Bridgestone this week and Michelin next time.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I'm a General Grabber man myself. Quiet enough, Do OK in snow, etc.
General Grabber HTS60's? That's what's on our 08 FWD now.
Good tire, handles well, good in wet, etc.
They were about $500 M&B about a year ago.

Oh, I've got the Grabber HTS on my Dakota.
Before that, the Grabber AT2's- very agressive tire.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I'm running Michelin Defenders in the front of my 08 EX-L, and don't have any qualms with them. They are softer and quieter than the Cooper's they replaced (but to be fair those were pretty much down to 2/32).

Things to keep in mind about tires... is they are the only thing that holds you to the road, and your brakes can only be as good as their grip, so I recommend the principal of "best tires you can afford", especially if you are only running the one set year round.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Based on the 3 I would go with the Defenders. Some folks have gotten 70k miles on there's and I can't recall any major or glaring complaints.

I don't know which generation you have but if you have a Gen 3 20 inch rim, you'd have to get slightly larger than stock tire size. The Defenders don't come in OEM size, I think you gotta go 10mm wider but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Based on reviews I've read the Premier's will wear fast. You'll be lucky to get 40k miles out of them but other than that people are pleased.

I wouldn't buy the Goodyear's if they were half off.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
🤐

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I have to say I'm still reeling from sticker shock, $1022.32 for the Premiers with a $70 mail in rebate (whoopie) and $988.32 for the Defenders, same rebate.
What would be the price for either the General AltiMAX RT43 or the Continental TrueContact Tour tires?

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Oh, go ahead.
No.
Some people are content with spending $1000+ for tires. I'll not make any other brand suggestions.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I’d stick with the Defenders. They are a bit more heavy duty and I know a lot of people have problems with tread life with the Premiers.
This. I have the Costco version of them (X LT A/S) on the Traverse and love them. They are a little stiffer, have a more squared off shoulder and have historically been a good tire for me. I've had every generation of this tire going back to the original LTX M/S. IMO, The Premier is a car tire that they tried to beef up for SUVs, the Defender is a ground up SUV tire. I have the Premier on our Sonata and would recommend it on cars.

·
Registered
841 Posts
In order for a tire to be sold in the USA, the $100 tire has to pass the same DOT tests as the $250 fat boy tire. Fat boy does not pay for those multi-million $ TV commercials, the consumer does.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Some other people are content with having to replace their tires every 2-3 years.
Some are content with driving on dry rotted tires to try and get to 80k. How many really make it to 80k?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,269 Posts
In order for a tire to be sold in the USA, the $100 tire has to pass the same DOT tests as the $250 fat boy tire. Fat boy does not pay for those multi-million $ TV commercials, the consumer does.
Yep, just like in construction there are minimum building codes. However it is easy to see the difference between minimum and done well. If it weren’t for minimum code builders Mike Holmes wouldn’t be on tv.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts