Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the factory tires, whatever they were on my 2019 Pilot in October. They only 30K miles on them and were crap. I opted for Michelin Defender LTX...... Two days are driving around in the snow and these tires are fantastic for an all season tire. I should have thrown out the factory tires two years ago Lol

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I should have thrown out the factory tires two years ago Lol
No doubt. The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS is a poor excuse for a tire. The worst tires I've ever driven on.

Reactions: FASTFJR

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No doubt. The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS is a poor excuse for a tire. The worst tires I've ever driven on.
YES! That was the tire, what a POS they were. Honda has gotten really cheap. My 2011 Ridgeline came with Michelin, I think I got 60k mile out of them

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
YES! That was the tire, what a POS they were. Honda has gotten really cheap.
Judging by the replacement cost, the Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS is not a cheap tire.
If Honda wanted a cheap tire, they could have chosen - oh, I don't know - maybe Sumitomo.
If Honda had to use Bridgestone as an OEM supplier, then why didn't they instead select the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Your Sumitomo-ness precedes you.
Oh, well the OP has been around long enough. I'm sure he's an informed Piloteer as to my tire choices. I'm just glad for anyone who gets off those factory Bridgestones. Really dangerous tire for an unsuspecting driver.

Reactions: FASTFJR

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If Honda wanted a cheap tire, they could have chosen - oh, I don't know - maybe Sumitomo.
Oh, Honda got a cheap made tire. Bridgestone gladly made it for them at a deep discount for the contract.
A quality tire like High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 tire would have cost Honda more, cutting profits. Honda will gladly let you sacrifice your brand to make themselves more $.
If Honda had to use Bridgestone as an OEM supplier, then why didn't they instead select the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus?
Honda can roll out a vehicle on any tire they want.
A better tire like the Alenza = less profit.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, well the OP has been around long enough. I'm sure he's an informed Piloteer as to my tire choices. I'm just glad for anyone who gets off those factory Bridgestones. Really dangerous tire for an unsuspecting driver.
Been around a long time with Honda. Used to post in the Ridgeline and CR-V forums.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Oh, Honda got a cheap made tire. Bridgestone gladly made it for them at a deep discount for the contract.
A quality tire like High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 tire would have cost Honda more, cutting profits. Honda will gladly let you sacrifice your brand to make themselves more $.

Honda can roll out a vehicle on any tire they want.
A better tire like the Alenza = less profit.
That profit excuse has been used before and I don't agree with it.
If Honda wanted to fit a more expensive tire, then they could just increase the price of the vehicle to cover the extra cost of those tires.
Is anyone not going to buy a $30-40K Pilot just because it might cost $100-200 more?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
That profit excuse has been used before and I don't agree with it.
If Honda wanted to fit a more expensive tire, then they could just increase the price of the vehicle to cover the extra cost of those tires.
Is anyone not going to buy a $30-40K Pilot just because it might cost $100-200 more?
Honda is also trying to achieve more fuel economy. A cheap lightweight tire helps their goal. Bridgestone gave them what they wanted.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Replaced the factory tires, whatever they were on my 2019 Pilot in October. They only 30K miles on them and were crap. I opted for Michelin Defender LTX...... Two days are driving around in the snow and these tires are fantastic for an all season tire. I should have thrown out the factory tires two years ago Lol

I'm sure they are nice, and I'm glad you like them.

I'll wager my 'All Season' choice performs similar?

I/we drive in the snow here too in Milwaukee area. I often have to drive before they plow somethimes. So far, so good.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was a unsuspecting Pilot owner who took a 1200 miles road trip on Bridgestone Duelers,.....

At the time of the trip the Duelers had 20K miles on them. I got caught in some heavy rain and finally had to slow down to 35-45 mph to keep from hydroplaning.

I have a Dueler as my full size spare. I hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

I realize this is very subjective, but I feel the tread patterns are quite similar?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Honda is also trying to achieve more fuel economy. A cheap lightweight tire helps their goal. Bridgestone gave them what they wanted.
Would you be happier if Honda had chosen the (made by Sumitomo) Falken Ziex ZE001A A/S?
It weighs the same as the Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Would you be happier if Honda had chosen the (made by Sumitomo) Falken Ziex ZE001A A/S?
It weighs the same as the Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS.
I can't imagine a tire worse than the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS. Ya, I'd try the Falken s if this was my only choice. I'm not for squishy touring tires.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I can't imagine a tire worse than the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS. Ya, I'd try the Falken s if this was my only choice. I'm not for squishy touring tires.
Just this morning, driving in to work, taking a large radius about 90 degree hwy turn doing 70, I thought of you NG, and how good my GG HTS60's felt! Not having to slow down- leading the pack! My 'ol 08 FWD will take them all on!
Obviously the road there is clear and dry too.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 20 of 175 Posts