Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have traded your standard tires for CT's, how much noisier would you say the CT's are? I just got my Pilot back from Discount Tire after putting BFG All Terrains on it. I expected an increase in tire noise, but these tires are quite a bit louder than I thought they would be. I picked the BFG's because they were highly recommended by a lot of old hands for 4 wheeling in Baja and the Southwestern U.S., but I didn't realize I would be giving up so much of the Pilot's quiet ride. Thanks, James.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I actually think my CTs are quieter than the Goodyears. They resonate at a lower, more comfortable frequency, for me anyway. I was really quite please with the performance, ride, cornering, and road noise level of the CTs (especially on concrete) over the Goodyears.:D

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I upgraded to 235/65/17 Michelin CT's first then after two weeks I decided to go with 255/60/17, I didn't find the 235's to be noisier than the Goodyears but I do notice a slight increase in noise level since I switched to 255's. The noise is not severe enough for me to go back to the 235's because I like the better handling that the bigger tires offer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Why CT's of any kind? Unless you are in bad driving conditions most of the time, wouldn't any of the Michelin for SUV's be OK and less expensive?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
4603pba said:
Why CT's of any kind? Unless you are in bad driving conditions most of the time, wouldn't any of the Michelin for SUV's be OK and less expensive?
Now you think that someone from Texas would have the biggest, baddest tires they could get on an SUV. :D

I researched a number of brands and styles, and was considering the Michelin Symmetry passenger tire. In the end I went with the more aggressive look of the CTs. But regardless, I think you can't go wrong with Michelins.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
jay

jay said:
I actually think my CTs are quieter than the Goodyears.
To clarify ... do you mean your Michelin Cross Terrains are actually quieter than the Goodyear Integritys that came with the car? Then that's what I'm gettin'.

·
Registered
89 Posts
jay said:
I actually think my CTs are quieter than the Goodyears. They resonate at a lower, more comfortable frequency, for me anyway. I was really quite please with the performance, ride, cornering, and road noise level of the CTs (especially on concrete) over the Goodyears.:D
My Cts are quieter than the Bridestones on concrete than asphalt. Depends how coarse the asphalt pavement material is. In general it noisier on Virginia highway, where I live, than say Maryland or North Carolina ones.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the performances and the ride. It is raining today, I'll check it out on hydroplaning resistances that everyone raves about.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: jay

krygny said:
To clarify ... do you mean your Michelin Cross Terrains are actually quieter than the Goodyear Integritys that came with the car? Then that's what I'm gettin'.
Yes, I think the CTs are quieter than the Goodyears, particularly on a concrete road. The Goodyears had a high-pitched whine on concrete, the CTs noise on concrete seems less; it certainly isn't such a high-pitched whine.

I think overall the CTs are a quieter tire than the Goodyear.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: jay

jay said:
I think overall the CTs are a quieter tire than the Goodyear.
Good to know. I'm also considering the Goodyear Forterras, which are also supposed to be fairly quiet tires for luxury SUVs, but I wouldn't know that until I actually bought them, and I'd hate to make a $600/50,000 mile mistake.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Get the Michelin Cross Terrains. The Pilot handles like a completely different vehicle with the Michelins. I drove to Florida and back from Toronto and road noise was not a problem. I replaced the Goodyears with the same size of Michelin but they actually look wider than the Goodyears and seem to have more tread on the road. They handle much better in the wet and snow.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm Curious......

I'm a huge Goodyear fan (Integrities not included) and was wondering if anyone has put the Forterras on their PILOT.

I would prefer to put Goodyears on my vehicle as I'm still really pissed at France and Michelin is owned by a company in the land of those linguine spined ingreats!

But, if the Cross Terrains are the tires to go with, I may just bite my tongue and do the deed.

I'm not saying that Michelins are bad tires, on the contrary, Michelin has a helluva great lineup of tires, but Goodyear is also a solid tire maker as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Driving in the rain

Today was the first real test since I had Michelin CT's installed, it started raining while I was travelling down a hi-way @ 120km/hr. The rain was coming down so hard I had the wipers on the fastest setting just to see where I was going. The Michelin's performed flawlessly, it felt to me like the tires were planted firmly without any hint of hydroplaning. The ride was smooth & steady even when going over puddles or changing lanes. Steering feedback was so precise I didn't even think of slowing down when all other vehicles seemed to.

Bottomline, Michelin CT's outperformed the Goodyear Integrity's which I had the misfortune of driving under similar conditions a few months ago. It handled so poorly that I was afraid I was going to end up in the ditch, that was an experience I was not willing to repeat.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
borg said:
Driving in the rain

Today was the first real test since I had Michelin CT's installed, it started raining while I was travelling down a hi-way @ 120km/hr. The rain was coming down so hard I had the wipers on the fastest setting just to see where I was going. The Michelin's performed flawlessly, it felt to me like the tires were planted firmly without any hint of hydroplaning. The ride was smooth & steady even when going over puddles or changing lanes. Steering feedback was so precise I didn't even think of slowing down when all other vehicles seemed to.

Bottomline, Michelin CT's outperformed the Goodyear Integrity's which I had the misfortune of driving under similar conditions a few months ago. It handled so poorly that I was afraid I was going to end up in the ditch, that was an experience I was not willing to repeat.
Pretty much same experience for me today with the CTs. I ditched the Goodyears after getting wheel spin in a light rain. That hasn't happened since.:p

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
jay said:
... I ditched the Goodyears after getting wheel spin in a light rain. That hasn't happened since.:p
I'm too cheap to do that. I'll run the OEM Goodyears 'til they're at least somewhat worn.

About driving in the rain - does anybody think that tire splash in the Pilot's wheel wells is kind of noisy? I'm not talking about regular tire spray; I'm talking about when you go though an inch or two of standing water. Other cars I've had must have had more soundproofing. I'm surprised because the Pilot's wheel wells are plastic lined, but they sound tinny when splashed on.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
krygny said:
I'm too cheap to do that. I'll run the OEM Goodyears 'til they're at least somewhat worn.

...snip

That's what I was planning, too. I did have just over 18,000 miles on them when I got the Michelins, and don't regret it a bit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
About driving in the rain - does anybody think that tire splash in the Pilot's wheel wells is kind of noisy? I'm not talking about regular tire spray; I'm talking about when you go though an inch or two of standing water. Other cars I've had must have had more soundproofing. I'm surprised because the Pilot's wheel wells are plastic lined, but they sound tinny when splashed on. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you have running boards? They increase the sound because they are fiberglass.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
jay said:
That's what I was planning, too. I did have just over 18,000 miles on them when I got the Michelins, and don't regret it a bit.
W:eek:W... I only had about 100 (no more than 200) miles on my Integrity (or lack thereof) tires before I dumped them for the Cross Terrains...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Originally posted by 4603pba Do you have running boards? They increase the sound because they are fiberglass.
I have side steps. They wouldn't make that kind of noise. Besides, all Pilots have front splashguards, so running boards or side steps shouldn't get splashed with heavy water. the noise comes from the wheel wells.

·
Registered
39 Posts
krygny said:
I have side steps. They wouldn't make that kind of noise. Besides, all Pilots have front splashguards, so running boards or side steps shouldn't get splashed with heavy water. the noise comes from the wheel wells.
So why do they have front splashguards and not rear?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
DesertDogs said:
So why do they have front splashguards and not rear?
I'm not sure why you're asking me that. :confused: Like you, I only bought a Pilot, I don't sell 'em. But yeah, it makes no sense. That's why I also got the rear splashguards as an option. Maybe the way the vehicle is designed, there's more splash from the front tires than from the rear. But that's got nothing to do with the tinny noise from the wheel wells when I go through water.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts