Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help from anyone. We love our Pilot with the exception mice keep getting in the vehicle. We have never had a vehicle that allows mice to get in. We (and our dealer) can't figure out where they're getting in. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recall seeing in one of the DIY installation of the rear back up sensor threads where a member had removed the rear bumper cover and there was a very large rectangle hole near the rear corner of the body. It appeared to be easily large enough for mice to get in.

Glen

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that. I have two suggestions. I had mice in my backyard shed and put sticky traps out to no avail. There was a bag of Amdro ant bait/poison in there and the mice finally found it, ate through the bag and then they disappeared! Now I leave an open bag out and have no problem. I've put one in my boat also cuz I've heard horror stories about mice and boats. Can't really say for sure that the ant poison is killing them but they've gone. The second suggestion is to put out alot of traditional baited traps. They are always effective. At any rate, control of the rodents seems to me to be the best bet. Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
oooo.... i strongly suggest not using poison. And its not just because I don't like killing the poor little disney-like mice. Lemme tell a little story. I have a spare toy in my garage, an Alfa Spider. I get to take it out only on occasion. Well, I had some friends visiting from out of town about a month ago and I was going to take it out and give one of them a ride. So I was out there all morning changing the oil, putting in a new battery, etc. When I was dusting off the interior, I happen to look down and see the passenger floor moving around. I look closer and see that its a bunch of little maggots flailing around. Hmmmm... where they heck did they come from?? Some quick reasoning led me to the glove box above. You can obviously guess what I found inside ..... ugh! needless to say, there were more maggots by this time than Mickey. That took me a good hour and a half to clean out and disinfect everything. So... moral of the story is be careful what you wish for. I'm sure you don't want a sick mouse climbing up into your Pilot to sleep off his hangover and never awaken. You won't find him till you track down that smell!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rodent damage

This is a funny, but real problem.. a few months after I bought my Pilot LX, I encountered a few hundred dollars of wiring repairs from some kind of rodent that got in there and chewed up some wires near a central wire harness of some sort.

Don't know how much of a solution it is, but I acquired some product called coyote urine that puts off a scent/smell... if you spray it around where you park your car, it may naturally scare aware rodents and other animals.. I have done so, and have not had any problems since.. I think there are probably many similar products around that work as natural scent or smell detractors.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Rodent damage

winsco said:
. . . . . I encountered a few hundred dollars of wiring repairs from some kind of rodent . . . . . ..

. . . . some product called coyote urine that puts off a scent/smell... . . .
1) Damage from animals is usually covered under your comprehensive insurance.
(I won't say what your comprehensive deductable should be, but it rhymes with "Nero") :D

2) If it is what they use around here to keep deer out of the garden it is not JUST CALLED coyote Urine! (Hope I don't have to say what it is):flush:

·
Registered
39 Posts
We've got them in our '03. I'm able to trap them with a live trap, but they keep getting in. WE've taken the back seats and the side panels on the left side out- mice appear to be getting in at the left rear corner. Anyone know any more about the post from '03 re taking the bumber off?

·
Registered
212 Posts
This one worked for me. I got the towel that my brother's cat sleeps on and placed it in the car. Never saw mouse droppings again. It was a win win situation. Got rid of my mouse problem and the cat got a new bed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
where are you guys from?
I feel it's problem even if misc is near my garage. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live out in the country in PA. The Pilot lives outside in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Yet another good excuse to give the wife when she tries to kick me out of the garage (again) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts