Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 07 pilot is making a rotating metallic noise when i turn left. The noise is coming from the front right. The noise sounds like the noise a knife makes when its being honed (schwing). Sometimes it does not do it at all, other times it is faster paced. I can hear a very quiet noise when i turn right, sounds similar but more quiet, seems to be coming from the front right too.

I pulled the wheels and jacked the front end up, started it up, and turned the wheels every which way, accelerated, braked... no noise. It seems like the noise is worse when i dive into a left turn hard and really put some load on the right front. If i hit the brakes while turning, it will muffle the sound. If i hold the brakes and accelerator during the turn, the noise usually does not happen.

I put a new caliper on and pads. The rotor looks fine, i replaced it probably two years ago. I tried to pull the rotor, it is loose but i couldnt free it from the lugs, if that is indicative of anything. I think it needs popped off with a torch, which i didnt have access to.

Any ideas? Past experiences? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Could it be the rotor rubbing against the back plate? Sometime the back plate will get bent a little and cause a similar sound. Or, if the wheel bearing is going bad it will let the rotor flex enough to rub the back plate.

Did you try using two bolts in the two threaded holes to remove the rotor? Remove the two phillips head screws and then use the bolts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 on the backing plate/dust shield. I recently replaced rotors and had the same scraping sound when making sharp turns in one direction. Just bend the plate back a little on the one making noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill take a closer look at the dust shield tomorrow! I couldnt find anywhere where it was rubbing but the sound it is making does sound like to dust shield being rubbed by something more solid, like the rotor. Im worried it might be the bearing going out and allowing some flex under heavy loads, and then thats what is causing the rubbing.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Could it be the rotor rubbing against the back plate? Sometime the back plate will get bent a little and cause a similar sound. Or, if the wheel bearing is going bad it will let the rotor flex enough to rub the back plate.

Did you try using two bolts in the two threaded holes to remove the rotor? Remove the two phillips head screws and then use the bolts?
+1 on the backing plate/dust shield. I recently replaced rotors and had the same scraping sound when making sharp turns in one direction. Just bend the plate back a little on the one making noise.
My money is also on the dust shield. Could be simply bent, or frayed or rusted. If it comes to that, know that you can usually just remove it with no major adverse effects, if you're not bent :) on replacing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise went away a few days ago, I inspected the fish shield and couldn't figure it out. I will keep an eye out for further problems!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2007 pilot does the exact same thing! It has been doing it for a long time, over a year now. Have no idea what it is still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts