Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, i've read many threads like this... But i did my first oil change on my 2017 AWD Touring Pilot today. Who the He** put the oil filter there and thought, oh ya thats good lets leave it there. i mean could it be in a worse place.. geez. how messy, oil leaking all over my garage floor. the sub frame gets oil all over it and in every little crack. so horrible.

Has anyone come up with a procedure or process to keep oil from spilling all over the sub frame? i guess i could just throw a few rags over the sub frame and do as good a clean up job as possible. Not to mention how hard it was for me to get my big hands in there to get the oil filter out. what a design nightmare...

ok im done venting... but i do love my Pilot, great car so far...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Loosen the filter, then take a ziploc bag and put it inside as you make the final turns. I’ve done it twice already, zero mess. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Loosen the filter, then take a ziploc bag and put it inside as you make the final turns. I’ve done it twice already, zero mess. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great idea.. thanks , see i knew someone had to have come up with a good idea... awesome!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I fashioned this simple spout out of extra sheet metal I had lying around the garage. Works okay. I've also tried ctek's Ziploc bag idea … which I found to be better. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fashioned this simple spout out of extra sheet metal I had lying around the garage. Works okay. I've also tried ctek's Ziploc bag idea … which I found to be better. :)
interesting. i was thinking of making some kind of deflector out of cardboard. i did this with one of my BMWs, worked well. but for the pilot, its got almost no room for something like this. so i didnt bother trying to make up something like that. i didnt think it would fit. ill for sure try the ziplock bag next time. seems easy and cheap solution.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Take a 1 gallon plastic milk jug, and cut the top off. It will surround the oil filter area, and capture the filter and oil that pours out when the filter is removed. Works great, and can be used to pour the accumulated oil into a container for recycling. When finished, wipe it out, and reuse it next time.
Agreed with observation of lousy engineering of placement of oil filter. These engineers can design incredibly brilliant engine designs for great power, fuel economy, and emissions. So how hard is it to design an oil filter location that is easy to access, with minimal clean up?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know, i've read many threads like this... But i did my first oil change on my 2017 AWD Touring Pilot today. Who the He** put the oil filter there and thought, oh ya thats good lets leave it there. i mean could it be in a worse place.. geez. how messy, oil leaking all over my garage floor. the sub frame gets oil all over it and in every little crack. so horrible.

Has anyone come up with a procedure or process to keep oil from spilling all over the sub frame? i guess i could just throw a few rags over the sub frame and do as good a clean up job as possible. Not to mention how hard it was for me to get my big hands in there to get the oil filter out. what a design nightmare...
Agreed with observation of lousy engineering of placement of oil filter. These engineers can design incredibly brilliant engine designs for great power, fuel economy, and emissions. So how hard is it to design an oil filter location that is easy to access, with minimal clean up?

Obviously none of you has had the misadventure of doing an oil and filter change on a Ford Windstar minivan. Now that is something to complaint about.

It has nothing to do with bad design and more to do with intentional design on the engineers part. It is done this way on purpose to deter customers from doing their own oil changes and bringing their vehicles to the dealerships for the service instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Obviously none of you has had the misadventure of doing an oil and filter change on a Ford Windstar minivan. Now that is something to complaint about.

It has nothing to do with bad design and more to do with intentional design on the engineers part. It is done this way on purpose to deter customers from doing their own oil changes and bringing their vehicles to the dealerships for the service instead.

reason #1,000,000,000,000,000 never to buy a Ford... :grin:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
reason #1,000,000,000,000,000 never to buy a Ford... :grin:
1,000,000,000,000,000% Agreed :wink:

For the record... I didn't buy it, it was given to me.

I would've never bought it myself after the experiences I've had with it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lots of techniques will work..... I use alum foil to cover things and direct the oil into the pan. Definitely want the wheels turned to the right.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't see the big deal really , it drips on a cross member two minutes with a paper towel ..done ... yes the wheel is also turned :) Never tried the foil trick how do you keep it from falling down?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts