Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man claims his wife drove their 98 Honda Accord V6 in low gear for an extended period of time and the PS reservoir melted. Do you think it's possible?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
If the PS pump is failing or has failed this can generate excess heat. The PS fluid could begin to boil over and melt the reservoir. Low speeds might not be able to cool things down

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Depends on what you are asking. OP went on to say she was doing 60mph on the highway in low gear. If you are asking if he was foolish enough to let his wife drive a car, then yes. Who can't recognize that something is wrong trying to get up to highway speed in low. Whoever falls in that category does not belong behind the wheel of a vehicle.

As for melting the PS reservoir, you have a v6 Honda Accord in your fleet don't you? Let us know your results after you test it out.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on what you are asking. OP went on to say she was doing 60mph on the highway in low gear. If you are asking if he was foolish enough to let his wife drive a car, then yes. Who can't recognize that something is wrong trying to get up to highway speed in low. Whoever falls in that category does not belong behind the wheel of a vehicle.

As for melting the PS reservoir, you have a v6 Honda Accord in your fleet don't you? Let us know your results after you test it out.
Without knowing the individuals wife, you shouldn't call into question her competency. She may be tired of driving a vehicle that's 22 years old and decided she would fix that! 😃
I'll ignore your last comment.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Without knowing the individuals wife, you shouldn't call into question her competency. She may be tired of driving a vehicle that's 22 years old and decided she would fix that! 😃
I'll ignore your last comment.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I was (well still am technically) a member of DA... those guys can put those cars through some hell.

I find this unlikely but not impossible.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find this unlikely but not impossible.
This is why I'm having a tough time with this, besides the high pitched screaming engine, every time you let of the gas at any speed, the jerking the car would do would give indication of a problem. She could possibly incompetent, but I can not rule out an evil plan at work here. Maybe she's a good cook?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
This is why I'm having a tough time with this, besides the high pitched screaming engine, every time you let of the gas at any speed, the jerking the car would do would give indication of a problem. She could possibly incompetent, but I can not rule out an evil plan at work here. Maybe she's a good cook?
Or has bedroom talents?

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Man claims his wife drove their 98 Honda Accord V6 in low gear for an extended period of time and the PS reservoir melted. Do you think it's possible?
The OP (on that other forum) claims the PS pump is less than a year old and the drive belt is new.
Perhaps there's more to the story than we're being told.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Honestly, it would be interesting to take a similar vehicle, equip it with several temp sensors in strategic locations and drive it in low at 60mph for 30 minutes or until the temps get dangerous, just to see how high the under hood temps get when the engine/vehicle is under stress. There are many times people to actually stress their vehicles pretty heavily, ie: towing. The information might make people pause a minute and think when they do certain things with or to their vehicles.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,820 Posts
Probably caused by using Maxlife ATF in the power steering system.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spouses have been known to lie by omission. Show of hands?
I wouldn't say lie. Manipulative maybe. Favorite foods cooked like chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy always fixes things. 🙄

1 - 20 of 23 Posts