Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone melted a spark plug tip in cylinder #3 or 4 after disabling VCM?
My concern is that a high milage vehicle has built up a lot of deposits in cylinders that normally lay dormant. These cylinders now are firing 100% of the time may be building up an excessive amount of heat, melting the spark plug tips.
If you installed a VCM killer on a already high milage vehicle, you may want to check #3 and 4 spark plug. Especially if you have a rough idle.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Pics?

Happened to my sparky no. 5, but on a 2006 AWD, so no VCM. It might also be caused by spark plugs backing out over time, so checking and retorquing spark plugs to spec has become a periodic maintenance item, as far as I'm concerned.

Name That Engine Noise (Video)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
That would not make sense unless Honda designed these engines to fail purposely. What would be considered high mileage btw? 100 k ? These days 100k is very common.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would not make sense unless Honda designed these engines to fail purposely. What would be considered high mileage btw? 100 k ? These days 100k is very common.
True. Driving styles would also come into play. What is worse, an engine that has 100k on it in 3 years or one that has 50k in 3 years but was in stop and go traffic for the same amount of driving time? It's a known fact that cylinders that lay dormant during VCM operation are much dirtier than the others.
I know someone who found burned off tips in their V6 at 100k. They are using S-VCM. It's been written off as a bad set of plugs. Will see. I've checked my 3 V6 vehicles and have no issues using S-VCM. One of those is at 230k miles. These mile were 90% high speed highway miles.
So far, not much response to this thread. Guess that's a good thing on a bad problem.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hope so my fisher price is coming up to 100k and she’s had the vcm killer in since day one. No issues other than the usual stuff that’s already expected.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Hope so my fisher price is coming up to 100k and she’s had the vcm killer in since day one. No issues other than the usual stuff that’s already expected.
I thought it was Tonka Toy?

I haven't seen any name brand (NGK, Denso, etc.) spark plugs suffer anything like this. My extended family has had a lot of Honda V6s and we've never had any issues. I'm also the only one who runs VCMuzzler yet nobody else has any issues with VCM.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I haven't seen any name brand (NGK, Denso, etc.) spark plugs suffer anything like this. My extended family has had a lot of Honda V6s and we've never had any issues. I'm also the only one who runs VCMuzzler yet nobody else has any issues with VCM.
NGK Laser Iridium plugs have melted. I started the thread based on someone I know who has melted NGKs in their V6, and on what I read in another forum, about cylinder temps being higher in the presence of large amounts of carbon build up. I was/am searching for answers.
Glad you have no issues.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
NGK Laser Iridium plugs have melted. I started the thread based on someone I know who has melted NGKs in their V6, and on what I read in another forum, about cylinder temps being higher in the presence of large amounts of carbon build up. I was/am searching for answers.
Glad you have no issues.
At what point did they install the VCM disabler? We bought our Pilot at 35k miles so it was disabled pretty early in its life.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At what point did they install the VCM disabler? We bought our Pilot at 35k miles so it was disabled pretty early in its life.
96k. They are a few hundred miles from 100k. I was/am scared cause I showed them S-VCM. Eeeek! Lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

If it was able to have a 6 inch lift with 33's and a true 4wd system ..then yes I would be able to call it a tonka toy :)
for now with all the plastic crap inside it's qualified for the Fisher price badge.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Mine has been under the Vcm killer since i rolled it off the lot with 10 miles on the meter . Now coming up to 97500 i pulled the plugs to see what was going on, the plugs showed usage / wear but no oil to be found on them.

So did i prevent some major issues down the road if i haven't? never will tell until hopefully i can get her to 200 k

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine has been under the Vcm killer since i rolled it off the lot with 10 miles on the meter . Now coming up to 97500 i pulled the plugs to see what was going on, the plugs showed usage / wear but no oil to be found on them.

So did i prevent some major issues down the road if i haven't? never will tell until hopefully i can get her to 200 k
I am also very happy to say that the oily spark plug issue I had, most noticeable on #4 was clean and dry. S-VCM has definitely fix this problem. Extremely happy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts