Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Negative first post....for all we know could be a troll.

If true story, post a pic of the engine......
He or she is not a troll, it is some common say my Honda mechanic

·
Registered
11 Posts
as of yesterday, my Pilot is now waiting on either a new head and block, or a complete engine, as the cylinder was damaged. waiting on a warranty inspector (3rd party, Fidelity Warranty) to see the internal damage so they can decide how to proceed.

I do have to say the dealer has treated me very well throughout the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
plug problem

I have an 07 Pilot with 110K miles. I got it two years ago as a 2nd owner with 30k miles. I decided to change the plugs last weekend due to engine light & VTM-4 light coming on. The center plug came out with minimal effort. I think it was turned twice before it just came out. Definitely way loose. The coil and plug were both discolored. There was also some residue around the inside rim of the opening (maybe oil or fuel?). I had the codes checked, and got the 300 series of misfires along with P0172. Cleared the codes, and the car was code-less for almost a week. then tonight the CEL came back on. I'm temped to change the coil but after seeing everyone else's similar problems I'm not sure if that'll help!
Maybe it's dealer time??? Who knows...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check the codes again. I had the same problem and the new code was P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 2). It's quite possible that the unburned fuel screwed with your catalytic converter. I had to have the converter and 4 O2 sensors replaced for a total cost $1,150. The O2 sensors may have been getting 'lazy' as there is 142,000 miles on the Pilot. After-market O2 sensors are about half the price as Honda charges, but you really should use the Honda catalytic converter - after-marked converters will likely continue to throw engine codes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I changed the plugs in my 04 pilot one was in finger tight (original) and one of the wells was full of oil. The oil was from a failed valve cover grommet, I used a copper based anti-seize compound on the new plugs and over torqued them, 3 months later did a valve adjustment and decided to pull the plugs to make it easier to turn thr engine over by hand, good thing I did, most were quite loose. Needless to say I removed the compound from the threads and overtorqued them again. checked front bank not long ago all ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am beyond the 5 years.

And I am still waiting to hear if Honda will provide some assistance.
]It took a while, but I ended up with a new front head and short block.
Pieces of the plug broke off and ended up chipping a valve, damaging the piston and scoring the cylinder walls. Honda USA generously offered to pay half of the total repair, so I took that option.

The price ended up being around $4400, but I took the opportunity to have some extra work done, like a new timing belt, drive belt, and all new fluids. (I just paid for the parts for these).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot, 5.5 years old, 65K miles. My mechanic tells me that the front center spark plug loostened and plug ignition coil melted from blowback allowing debris from those parts to enter the piston. The top of the piston is all banged up, and the cylinder walls are scored, he showed me. He says if I want to patch it put in a new coil and piston, then sell it. If I plan on keeping it, get a new motor. I read one or 2 other things where people have had the same issue, are there more? Has anyone gone after Honda to cover this? Needing a new motor 6 months after the warranty is expired seems excessive. The local dealer was useless.
The same thing just happened to my 2005 Honda Pilot at 245,000 miles. The spark plug shot out of cylinder and de-threaded. The coil pack melted into the head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 30 years of messin with motors I've never heard of a spark plug getting loose on its own. Did you have someone change the plugs? I think they messed up.

In fact this entire story has me suspicious of the mechanic.
Neither had I. I've had Honda's for the 25 years that I have been driving. I sold my 2003 Honda Accord at +360,000 miles. When the spark plug shot out of cylinder and coil pack melted, I filed a claim against the shop it had been service. The claim was denied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Neither had I. I've had Honda's for the 25 years that I have been driving. I sold my 2003 Honda Accord at +360,000 miles. When the 2005 Honda Pilot spark plug shot out of cylinder and coil pack melted at 240,000 miles, I filed a claim against the shop it had been service. The claim was denied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This just happened to me today. 06 Pilot with 101k. Check engine light w/ VTM-4 came on and I noticed a slight miss at idle....but I had been noticing a slight miss at idle for a month. I know the plugs were overdue, but all other research I had done didn't turn up this issue or any need to change before 100k.

We were 180 miles from home and she started to miss real bad, idle was very rough. Had the wife and 8 month old with me, and the road I was on was very busy and the weather was sh!t. I decided to get to the closest service shop and out of danager. Well, the plug is beat to hell, and the coil too. Threads look to be toast. Had it towed home @ $3.57 per mile.

Gonna present info I have found here to Honda to see what they can do for me.
Same thing happened to my 2005 Honda Pilot at +240,000 miles.

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts