Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
new on the board - not new to Honda's (or cars in general)

Keep in mind that the Iridium plugs that are good for 100K or 105K are indeed excellent plugs - BUT, also keep in mind that in the sense of percentages, plugs that are changed out at 80 or 90 or 100K are 80 or 90 or 100% worn out - in other words, not working at their best efficiency. Additionally think about the number of Hot an Cold cycles they have been through in 100,000 miles - getting cooked into the spark plug threads, etc... My mechanic (Honda mechanic for 30 years) says change them every 60K and you get the best deal time wise/performance wise/$$$ wise. At 60K on my 03 V-6 accord, it was a PITA to break the initial torque of the original plugs... now with new plugs and a 'little' antiseize on them, plug change at 120K will go smoother.

My .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all,

First post.. fwiw, i had the same problem this weekend(12 June 2011). dropped the vehicle at the dealer, and he said I had burnt out coil, the spark plug, wire, and the plug "casing", so they will need to bore, and re-thread an insert. what a mess. (i don't recall the cyl #). The vehicle is a 2007 pilot, with ~57K. need to check to see if this can be covered by the power train warranty. I'm just inside the 5 years/60K miles.

any thoughts if this type of failure is considered a "power train" failure?

Many thanks!
Gary in Portland, or
First post - just researching this problem. Same thing happened with my 2004 Pilot (1st and only owner, no issues until now) at 93K. After the repair, (same as described, I've got the charred remains of the plug sitting on my desk), it ran fine another 1,000 miles. Then rough idle, check engine light. Another coil bad, but no burned out plug. Mechanic replaced the five other coils. Runs great for about a week, then rough idle, check engine light (see a pattern). Mechanic replaces all six coils again (different brand) and plugs. Smooth running, a week later, déjà vu. Center back coil bad this time. The mechanic has an MDX in his shop with the same issues.

Although it appears that numerous others have had similar problems, I haven't read a good solution to the problem. Is something up stream of the coil going bad that is frying them out??

·
Super Moderator
15,212 Posts
Have you checked the alternator and battery outputs?

Once those check out ok, the follow the wires from the battery to coils and check each component.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This just happened to me today. 06 Pilot with 101k. Check engine light w/ VTM-4 came on and I noticed a slight miss at idle....but I had been noticing a slight miss at idle for a month. I know the plugs were overdue, but all other research I had done didn't turn up this issue or any need to change before 100k.

We were 180 miles from home and she started to miss real bad, idle was very rough. Had the wife and 8 month old with me, and the road I was on was very busy and the weather was sh!t. I decided to get to the closest service shop and out of danager. Well, the plug is beat to hell, and the coil too. Threads look to be toast. Had it towed home @ $3.57 per mile.

Gonna present info I have found here to Honda to see what they can do for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, this just happened to me on Christmas EVE on my 2006 Pilot. The same story, melted coil damaging the engine block which had to be replaced. I am very upset with Honda about this because after reading all these other cases, this sounds like a manufacturing issue. It is always the same cylinder and the same failure. After researching, this is happening left and right on other Honda cars models. I strongly believe all affected customers should get together and do a formal complaint to Honda. They are screwing up their customers. This should be under recall because is their bad quality engines that is causing all this problems. Spark plug failures should not cause this kind of damage on an engine. Anyone interested on getting together please let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just curious, was it cyl #5? I've seen a couple odyssey's and pilots with this issue. The coil gets melted from a loose plug, not vise versa. Sometimes you can get lucky and heli-coil the plug, but others require a cylinder head, and sometimes a shortblock also.

This pic is from an odyssey, and they all seem to be cylinder 5

·
Registered
62 Posts
I took mine in at 80K miles for a ticking noise. The initial diagnosis by the dealer was a collapsed lifter. Then after looking, the dealer found a loose spark plug on #4. Center rear. The dealer installed a new coil & spark plug. Then, At 100k miles, the Pilot gave me several codes. What I thought was an EGR issue, turned out to be #5 ingnition coil melted due to the spark plug backing out. I was lucky, no thread damage, just a trashed $60 coil.

I find it difficult to believe our cases are isolated.

You can see the pictures in my photos and attachements.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here are a couple of pic's from my latest issue. This was from #5 cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just curious, was it cyl #5? I've seen a couple odyssey's and pilots with this issue. The coil gets melted from a loose plug, not vise versa. Sometimes you can get lucky and heli-coil the plug, but others require a cylinder head, and sometimes a shortblock also.
Hi obie2102,

Have you seen this issue on any 2009+ Pilot with the VCM V6?

What do you think is the cause? Would replacing the plugs earlier at say 60k miles prevent this?

Please kindly keep us posted if Honda has anything to say with this... Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I took mine in at 80K miles for a ticking noise. The initial diagnosis by the dealer was a collapsed lifter. Then after looking, the dealer found a loose spark plug on #4. Center rear. The dealer installed a new coil & spark plug. Then, At 100k miles, the Pilot gave me several codes. What I thought was an EGR issue, turned out to be #5 ingnition coil melted due to the spark plug backing out. I was lucky, no thread damage, just a trashed $60 coil.

I find it difficult to believe our cases are isolated.

You can see the pictures in my photos and attachements.
I find it difficult to believe that a trained dealer mechanic could say something that stupid?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd say plug replacement isn't necessarily needed, just checking that they are properly torqued. Primarily #5. Most of the ones i have seen have been odyssey's. I work at a fairly high volume dealer, and i'd say maybe a total of 4 with this problem over the past year. Anytime i get a car with a misfire, no matter which cylinder i always check #5. It seems on hondas, they will throw codes for other cylinders that aren't actually misfiring. And for some reason, it's not low mileage cars in general. Most are usually approaching 100K.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey gang, I am a new pilot owner......... but this happened all the time with my previous car brand...... ford expedition....... the plugs were known to shoot out of the coil packs........ this was a problem with design of ford (not enough threading)...... a couple of take aways though...... the number one cause was aftermarket plugs....... my mechanic recommended only genuine motorcraft parts....... even that will not protect against a bad instal (such as some others were saying)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Obie, I have a question for you. I just bought my 04 used pilot. Owner gave me some of the maint records (which show that he did the 105k maint with belts and pump). It does not show if plugs were changed. If you were in my shoes, would you have plugs changed, or let it ride?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hov, how many miles are on your vehicle currently? I would probably pull one of the more easily accessible plugs and see if they look newer or not. Either way, wouldn't hurt to check to see if #5 ( front center) is tight enough. Depending on who did the 105K, they should have been done during it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife's 2007 Pilot has about 140,000 miles on it. I replaced the plug myself at about 100,000 miles and about 2 weeks ago the Pilot would occasionally misfire. The cause was the #5 plug becoming loose. Well I tightened up the plug - apparently no thread damage - and now the pilot is showing a P0430 error code - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold for the bank on the same side as cylinder #5.

Apparently the misfires allowed too much unburned fuel into the catalytic converter and burned it out. It probably still works plenty good, just not as good as Honda thinks it should. I called a mechanic and he told to run a couple more tanks of fuel through it before bringing it in – he’s seen this before.

The mechanic also said that after-market catalytic converters do not meet Honda’s standards and continue to throw CEL codes.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Obie, I have a question for you. I just bought my 04 used pilot. Owner gave me some of the maint records (which show that he did the 105k maint with belts and pump). It does not show if plugs were changed. If you were in my shoes, would you have plugs changed, or let it ride?
I will change them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L with less than 60,000 miles. It’s been running fine until last Friday; the CEL came on along with the VTM-4. I was only about 3 miles from home so I continued on. The code indicated a misfire in Cylinder #5. I pulled the coil pack out and half stayed in the tube. I managed to get the rest out and finally got the plug out. My threads in the head were gone. See the picture below of my plug.

[FONT=&quot]It’s hard to believe this plug wasn’t loose for a long time. However, other than a slight tapping sound, my car ran great. I had planned on adjusting the values this spring since I thought that was the issue. There was absolutely no misfire before the code. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had it towed to my local dealer who installed a heli-coil. They then told me it was still misfiring and the head needed to be pulled and sent to a machine shop. They want about $1,100 to pull and replace the head and said the machine shop will cost another $600. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I opened a case the Honda USA to see if they are going to help me in the cost. A Honda with less than 60,000 miles should not have this issue. I was told I would get a call back in 24 hours with a decision. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does $1,100 plus $600 sound reasonable? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->

·
Registered
11 Posts
another melted coil here

just this past Saturday, 2/9/2013, while on the highway, our 2007 Pilot made a faint tapping sound (or at least faint over the road noise). a minute or so later the VTM4 light on the instrument cluster came on, followed quickly by the blinking CEL and some massive shaking. limped to a safe place to park with towtruck access. had it towed to dealer.

dealer started looking at it today and found that 3 cylinders are misfiring. Coil #1 is melted/fused to the head.

currently waiting to see what our 7 yr, 100k warranty covers. we're around 60k - 70k miles or so.

while writing this the dealer called me back. the warranty company is covering the repair, with our $100 deductible (I would have raised some hell otherwise).

the dealer is going to try to remove the melted coil/plug from the head. if it can't be removed, they said a new head would be required. they will also check for damage inside the cylinder and the like.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you still under the 5 year / 60k powertrain warranty? Shouldn't you be covered?

Hi all,
I have a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L with less than 60,000 miles. It’s been running fine until last Friday; the CEL came on along with the VTM-4. I was only about 3 miles from home so I continued on. The code indicated a misfire in Cylinder #5. I pulled the coil pack out and half stayed in the tube. I managed to get the rest out and finally got the plug out. My threads in the head were gone. See the picture below of my plug.

[FONT=&quot]It’s hard to believe this plug wasn’t loose for a long time. However, other than a slight tapping sound, my car ran great. I had planned on adjusting the values this spring since I thought that was the issue. There was absolutely no misfire before the code. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had it towed to my local dealer who installed a heli-coil. They then told me it was still misfiring and the head needed to be pulled and sent to a machine shop. They want about $1,100 to pull and replace the head and said the machine shop will cost another $600. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I opened a case the Honda USA to see if they are going to help me in the cost. A Honda with less than 60,000 miles should not have this issue. I was told I would get a call back in 24 hours with a decision. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does $1,100 plus $600 sound reasonable? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

21 - 40 of 51 Posts