Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my truck was first having issues I posted a thread: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21355

Today I decided to try and fix it. I pulled the coil packs out and found that the middle back pack was completely melted down to wire. I removed what I could of the rest of the coil pack from the sides but now the spark plug is broken and there is still parts stuck to the spark plug stopping the socket from going on it. Does anyone have ANY ideas how to get the spark plug out? Has this happened to anyone before? I really need to get this truck fixed for my wife as she has no other car.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
This sounds like one of those problems where you are going to have to get creative.

Without seeing the problem, it is hard to offer much help.

You could try multiple different slightly oversize sockets until you find one that is snug enough to get the plug out.

Have you tried standard deep sockets rather the a spark-plug socket to see if it clears whatever is in the way?

I am guessing the plug fractured internally and combustion gasses melted the coil.

OR

Maybe the plug got loose and combustion gases around the outside did it.

In the good old days it would be "pipe-wrench time", but with the plugs deep in a well, that no longer works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No bigger size socket will even fit in the hole. And if I take it to honda they will prolly pull the motor!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your help. I got the plug out and infact its just a hollow bolt. I guess it broke up and flew in the motor. Which would explain ALL the issues I was having with it in the days following. How can a spark plug blow a motor? This truck has been nothing but problems!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
THE_Z said:
Thanks for all your help. I got the plug out and infact its just a hollow bolt. I guess it broke up and flew in the motor. Which would explain ALL the issues I was having with it in the days following. How can a spark plug blow a motor? This truck has been nothing but problems!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear that.

Like I said in the first thread:
N_Jay said:
When an engine makes clanking noises, like something is hitting something inside the engine, it is time to SHUT IT OFF and have it TOWED to a REPUTABLE mechanic.

Running an engine when things are loose or hitting things inside WILL usually cause IRREPARABLE damage.
Hook a thin tube to your shop vac.

Clean out the cylinder as well as possible.

Put in a new plug and coil, and TRADE IT IN.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear what your saying but really by time it even got to the noise it was already game over for the motor. Thanks for the help. Im gonna swap the motor and tranny for a low km one and maintain the hell out of it. I am way to upside down to trade it in or I would have many months ago.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
THE_Z said:
I hear what your saying but really by time it even got to the noise it was already game over for the motor. Thanks for the help. Im gonna swap the motor and tranny for a low km one and maintain the hell out of it. I am way to upside down to trade it in or I would have many months ago.
Probably not a bad way to go, especially if you can do the swap yourself.
How is the rest of the car?

Overall the Pilot if even minimally maintained tends to be reliable.

I do just the basics, have 122,000 miles on mine and from the way it runs expect another 100,000 with little effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts