Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other white meat..

While Zaino seems to be the word of the day I am sticking with my tried and true Meguairs Gold Class. I use their Gold Class Shampoo, their Professional Polish (Show Car Glaze #7), and topped with their Gold Class Wax. Per Meguiars Customer Service, "Meguiar's Gold Class wax is a polymer based wax with a mild polishing agent. This will yield the highest reflective finish." I have used Meguairs on several vehicles and really like their first three part system when it came out (Clear1, Polish2 and Wax3). I have never used Zaino but for the money I am VERY pleased with the results Meguairs has given me.

I only throw this up here because it seems the board is running away with Zaino phobia which may or may not be true but it's not the only wax in the shed.

Meguairs fan

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hear ya, banning...

I like Meguiar's products also, plus I think there's something to be said for being able to walk into a store and pick the stuff up when you want or need it.

On Havasu Blue #953 I have waxed with #26 about 4 times since we took delivery 21 June. I prefer the paste over the liquid. I did polish once with #7 glaze. On my company car (a second-hand 2000 Pontiac Grand Am), I have used the cleaner wax, #9, #7, Scratch-X, and #26 as well. I also like to clean & polish the headlights on both cars with the #10 and #17 products.

I haven't used the Gold Class soap...I might try it out when I use up my Eagle One soap, but that probably won't be until next summer. I do prefer the Eagle One Wet Wipe n' Shine quick detailer over the Meguiar's Quik Detailer, it feels slicker and smells better to me. I am still deciding between the Eagle One Wet tire dressing and the Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss tire gel. Of course, there are about 1200 other Meguiar's products I have never used, which I think is one negative about the company, too many products, many of which seem to be redundant.

I did break down and buy a jar of the S100 carnauba from the HD dealer the other day, haven't used it yet. I want to try and get a coat on the Pilot in the next week or two to evaluate the allegedly superior shine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here's what I've decided to finally do.

Step 1. Touchless wash with no wax. (Completed 3 days ago)
Step 2. Black Chrome on all black external external trim. (Completed 3 days ago)
Step 3. NuFinish (Completed 3 days ago)
Step 4. Meguairs # 26 (to be done tomorrow morning, after a spotfree rinse)
Step 5. Meguairs # 26 (to be done tomorrow early afternoon, after a spotfree rinse)
Step 5. S 100 (to be done tomorrow afternoon, after another spotfree rinse)
Step 6 and so on. S100 (Repeat as neccessary at least 2 more coats over the next couple of days)

I've used Meguairs Gold Class over the last several years and I've been very happy with it. The same with Nufinish. I've read good things about layering #26 and S100. In a few days I will post a few Pictures with the results.

·
Registered
116 Posts
banningjr said:
The other white meat..

...I only throw this up here because it seems the board is running away with Zaino phobia which may or may not be true but it's not the only wax in the shed.

Meguairs fan
Coke or Pepsi?
Shell or BP?
Top Flite or Titleist?
Silver Stars or True Vision?
CBS or PBS?

Ok, the last one is not the same :) However, I believe M or Z are probably very comparable and it boils down to a question of preference and experience with a certain product line. You may do a much nicer job with your Meguiars that I do with my Zaino since it was the first time I used it. Me, I went with a friend's recommendation and the assurance that Pain In the Wazoo (PIW) factor for Zaino was very low, which it was. With a 3 month old at home, I can no longer spend entire afternoons working on my car anymore :14:

BTW, Zaino-phobia would mean people are afraid of using Zaino. You probably meant Zaino-philia :)

- Ben

p.s. Love the license plate :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
From a decades long user of Meguairs, I have to agree with you. I love it, it is easy to work, and best of all... it's easy to buy. The Target just around the corner stocks all of their Gold Class products at good prices.

But let me throw another cat into the barrel... have you tried Griot's Garage products? Yes, they are expensive, but well worth the money.

I have and use:
  • Speed Shine - if you use any of the other 'quick detailers' Speed Shine outdoes them all. IMO, almost a good as a waxing. Plus you use it with the cleaning clay.
  • Leather Conditioner - truly a remarkable product. Smells like, well, LEATHER. I use it on my car seats, sofa, recliner, jacket, shoes, an more. One bottle has lasted 5 years. Lexol does not compare.
  • Glass Polish - removes the water spots from glass easily. After you use it you know what a clear piece of glass look like.
  • Cleaning Clay - after trying others, this is the only one I still use. More malleable than others makes it easy to conform to compound body shapes
I know Griot's waxes and polish are some of the best, but I just can't give up my Meguairs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm a long time Meguiar's fan. I use many of their products. My car care arsenal looks like this:

(This list isn't in order, of course. It's just a list of products that I use.)
Wax - S100
Clay - Mother's
Polish - Meguiars #7
Cleaner - Meguiar's deep crystal
Wash - Meguiar's Gold Class
Vinyl & rubber - Meguiar's Natural Shine
Leather - Lexol
Glass - Eagle 20/20

I used to use Meguiar's #26 wax, but the S100 shine is something to behold. The way the water beads off of this stuff is bizarre. I'll probably use #26 in the winter because it will last longer than the S100.

Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it was late East Coast time. I guess Zaino mainia would have been a better name. Now that I finally have the base coat on I don't find there to be too large of a difference in wax time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
want to see the guts

this is our pilots inside

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
detailing

I finish waxing mine

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Looks good colousa, :)
What did you use on your wheels/tires?

·
Registered
408 Posts
detaling

I use Wet'n black by Turtle Wax it is for the tires but is grease I'm been using for the wheel too few times and works

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't that collect alot of extra brake dust? It's pretty sticky. I actually used the Gold Class on the rims and it looks good.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Guppy Question

SO...

... I decided I was going to maintain my new Pilot in pristine condition. Now, with my Accord, aside from going through the car wash and waxing it, and doing a little Rain-X on the windows, I never did much to the body of it.

I heard that Megulairs(sp) is good, so I went to the store and got a TON of stuff for the car. Megulairs Gold Car Wash and the Gold Liquid Wax. I gave the Pilot a bath with the Car Wash and it did very nicely. Quite impressed. Now, I need to wax her. As I was reading the threads above though, they were talking about different numbers of wax.

NOW, I'm confused.

So guys ... talk to me. What should I use? And what should I avoid? I know you all know more than I do, so spill yer guts. :)

BTW, I got some Armorall SuperShine or something like that, for the tires. OH BABY is that GORGEOUS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you go with the gold class wax, you'll do fine. about once to twice a year precede that with a polish which is different than a wax. Polish nourishes the paint and buffs out many scratches, swirl marks, contaminants, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
copperpoppy, IMO you should run from ArmorAll products. Previous formulas of theirs contained chemicals that actually contributed to and accelerated the breakdown of plastic/vinyl/rubber. Now, I believe most of their formulas have changed, but not all, and who knows which ones? I get pretty shiny tires from Eagle One Wet Tire Shine, and good ol Meguiar's has a product called Endurance High Gloss tire gel that also works well (smells good - grape - as well). I haven't seen anyone say that these products cause your tires to "brown" like ArmorAll...YMMV.

As far as the Meguiar's product line, here is a link to a page on a site that retails many of their products. It should at least allow you to become familiar with their line and tells a little about what the products do (many are self-explanatory). I suspect a great part of your decision on which ones to use will be influenced by how much time you want to spend washing, waxing, and otherwise detailing your Pilot.

I should add that the products in the link are from the "professional" line (tan bottles). Look for these at auto parts stores. In the consumer line (maroon bottles from WalMart,Target, etc), you can find products that pretty nearly duplicate much of the pro line stuff, it's just named instead of numbered. And the maroon line doesn't have as many polish and abrasive choices.

·
Registered
509 Posts
banningjr said:
The other white meat..

While Zaino seems to be the word of the day I am sticking with my tried and true Meguairs Gold Class. I use their Gold Class Shampoo, their Professional Polish (Show Car Glaze #7), and topped with their Gold Class Wax. Per Meguiars Customer Service, "Meguiar's Gold Class wax is a polymer based wax with a mild polishing agent. This will yield the highest reflective finish." I have used Meguairs on several vehicles and really like their first three part system when it came out (Clear1, Polish2 and Wax3). I have never used Zaino but for the money I am VERY pleased with the results Meguairs has given me.

I only throw this up here because it seems the board is running away with Zaino phobia which may or may not be true but it's not the only wax in the shed.

Meguairs fan
Yeah, Leo, I'm with you on this one. Already got a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class on the Pilot and I'm doing another on Friday. Looks great, and the protection so far appears to be excellent. During all that rain we got over the weekend, it seemed to bead up really nicely, and then blow off the Pilot nicely once we got going. No noticeable spots left behind either, and its absolutely smooth as glass to the touch. Didn't think Sandstone would shine as much as it did after the Gold Class, and I thought it really helped to add some depth to the metallic flecks in the paint.

Just one question though, because they don't come right out and say it. Do you have any experience with how long the Gold Class lasts? It describes it as a Polymer, which leads you to believe that it will last several months like a Zaino, Nu Finish, etc., but its also called a wax, which leads you to believe it won't last as long.

Just used the 3-step process on the Accord a couple of weeks ago, and its looking great again. Finished up with the carnauba instead on the Black Currant, to give it that "liquidy" finish.

I really like the availability and pricing of the product for the quality that I receive.

I couldn't even start to list all of the Meguiar's products that I use or someone might think I'm crazy! They make it - I've probably tried it! Was recently impressed with their carpet and interior cleaner. Had about a 4 year old greasy spot on the carpet in the trunk of the Accord - about the size of a dinner plate, and it took it right out (looks new again).

For what its worth, I throw my support behind their products.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It describes it as a Polymer, which leads you to believe that it will last several months like a Zaino, Nu Finish, etc., but its also called a wax, which leads you to believe it won't last as long.
The quote in the original post:
"Meguiar's Gold Class wax is a polymer based wax with a mild polishing agent. This will yield the highest reflective finish."
was actually a direct reply from Meguairs. I was wondering the same thing because I didn't want to put this on only to find out that another product was the way to go. They didn't quote any longevity but I didn't ask either. I'll send you the whole email.

·
Registered
698 Posts
casdas said:
copperpoppy, IMO you should run from ArmorAll products. Previous formulas of theirs contained chemicals that actually contributed to and accelerated the breakdown of plastic/vinyl/rubber. *** I haven't seen anyone say that these products cause your tires to "brown" like ArmorAll
WHAT? I already put that stuff on my Pilot! Should I get it off? If so, how? I don't want to ruin my baby... This is not good. Brown Tires? (screaming!)

As far as the Meguiar's product line, here is a link to a page on a site that retails many of their products.
Hey, that's a nice site. I'm more confused now than ever but, it sure looks like they have everything you could imagine - and more. I had no idea there was this much stuff for the exterior of your car. In a way, I now understand how males feel when women start talking about make-up.

I suspect a great part of your decision on which ones to use will be influenced by how much time you want to spend washing, waxing, and otherwise detailing your Pilot.
Well, I genuinely don't even know where to start here. I thought I was doing the right thing by getting the Gold Liquid wax and the Gold Shampoo but, there seems to be a lot of other stuff on here that I should check out. And then someone was saying something about a polish and then a wax. I didn't know there was a difference.

I'm kind of apprehensive right now. What should I do?

·
Registered
123 Posts
casdas said:
As far as the Meguiar's product line, here is a link
OK. Which numbered item(s) for a lazy bum who haven't waxed for way more than a decade, close to two decades. I don't remember the last time I waxed a car but I do have a full, unopened bottle of Polyglidecoat (spelling??)that I think I bought it from my Saab dealer, a looong time ago.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts