Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

MDX and Pilot oil filter sizes and fit?

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ck55 
#1 ·
The reason I ask is because I just came across this link over at the X site which talks about using a bigger Mobil1 oil filter that still fits the X for better filtering and flow capabilities. http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10497

I just put in a K&N #HP1004 oil filter for my Pilot and was very surprised to see how small it was for a car size of the Pilot. Same sentiments are expressed in the link above and someone was reporting that Mobil1 M1-105 filter, a bigger filter than the M1-104 which is the specified one for the X, can be used without any problems.

If that's the case, is there a good chance that the M1-105 can be used on our Pilots? Thoughts? Thanks.

#2 ·
I just installed the M1-104 filter on my Pilot , and I was also disappointed in the small size. It would be interesting to know if the larger size would fit our vehicles.

#3 ·
There are different pressure requirements for the Pilot and MDX. It's in your best interest to use only the oil filters recommended for the Pilot. I was going to use an AMSOIL oil filter that they recommend for the MDX and I checked to make sure the application would cross over. AMSOIL's technical department informed me about the different pressure requirements and recommended not to use the MDX filter.

#6 ·
Aggie Pilot said:
There are different pressure requirements for the Pilot and MDX. It's in your best interest to use only the oil filters recommended for the Pilot. I was going to use an AMSOIL oil filter that they recommend for the MDX and I checked to make sure the application would cross over. AMSOIL's technical department informed me about the different pressure requirements and recommended not to use the MDX filter.
Is this '03 Pilot vs. '03 MDX, or '02 MDX?

Wonder if the differences follow the change in engine for the "03 MDX, or the change in oil weight?

#7 ·
N_Jay said:
Is this '03 Pilot vs. '03 MDX, or '02 MDX?

Wonder if the differences follow the change in engine for the "03 MDX, or the change in oil weight?
Yeah, may be. I just thought that if the Mobil1 M1-105, the bigger oil filter with supposed flow rate, efficiency and filtering, fits the Pilot, using it wouldn't hurt. But as pointed out by Aggie Pilot, there are more things to take into account than that.

Even if the M1-105 is installed and all seems well, because of the different pressure specs and etc., it just may be more detrimental to the engine than not. I guess I'll stick with the size specified for the Pilot. I was hoping that K&N oil filter would be reviewed on this site, http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml but it's not. The recommended or highly praised filters, STP, Purolator and Mobil1 are nowhere to be found around here. I figured K&N still would be better than the OEM one, but do you know anything about them? Thanks.

FYI, over at K&N site, the '03 Pilot and the '01 & '02 MDX filter is #HP1004, but for '03 MDX, it's different, #HP1010.

#12 ·
RipRock -

Please keep us posted when you get an answer from Tim at HondaAcura World. Another question would be whether these two filters have by-pass valves, and are the by-pass settings the same on each filter.

- CK55

#13 ·
ck55, will do.

FYI, I just received an email reply from this gentleman who runs this website and did this excellent, indept review of some of the filters out there, http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

In the email, I asked him what he thought about K&N Gold oil filters (which I'm currently using, #HP1004) because I couldn't find any of the highly recommended filters in his review around this neck of the woods. He said that the K&N Gold filters are "Excellent filters. Basically the same as a Mobil 1, but I believe they use a better media. It happens to be made by Champion Labs (who makes Mobil 1, STP, and Bosch)." (You getting this, N_Jay?)

And then I referred him to this link http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10497 and expressed my wish to use the M1-105 filter on my Pilot and he replied with this, "I use the M1-105 on all my Hondas and my Isuzu Trooper which uses the Honda size. It works well. I can't say that it improves on anything, but I feel a little better about having it on there!"

But I did ask him if the different pressure requirements for the Pilot and the MDX is something I should worry about and he said, "Considering they are basically the same engine. I seriously doubt they use different pressure springs. I further can tell you that if Honda/Acura hands you the same OEM filter for both vehicles, guess what-they are the same pressure. Do you know if they supply different ones, OEM? This is normally something to worry about, but I don't think so in this case. I have verified with Mobil 1 that the bypass spring in the M1-104 and M1-105 is the same pressure (I forget exactly what psi)."

ck55, is that the answer you're looking for?
Now, I have to find out:
1. If the recommended filter by Mobil1 for the Pilot is indeed M1-104, then I think it's safe to use the M1-105.
2. I do know that according to the link over at the X site, the book lookup filter for the 01-02 X is M1-104, therefore....
3. to be further sure, find out if the Pilot and the 01-02 OEM filters are basically the same ones (that's why I'm asking Tim, hope he doesn't mind).

I tried calling Mobil1's filter tech support line, to get the facts right from the source, especially about the bypass spring and the pressure numbers, but the toll free number's not available in Canada! Arrrrgh!!! So, if either 1. or 3. is true, then I think it can be deemed that M1-105 is good on our Pilots as well. Hope that makes sense.

#14 ·
ck55, got an answer from Tim

He says they're the same ones! So, I think it's safe to say that we can go ahead and use the M1-105. Now, since Mobil1 decided that Canada isn't a market worthy of selling their filters in, I have to find a way to get them over the border somehow.

#15 ·
RipRock -

Thanks for checking it out. If you can't find the M1 filters, see if you can get the Purolator Pure One filter in the larger size. The Pure One filters are equal to the M1's. I use the M1 because I have trouble finding the Pure One filters around here. Good luck.

#16 ·
How do you guys feel about the Purolator Premium Plus filters???

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.