Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

MB Quart German Speaker System

5K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  jksjb 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
MB Quart's are premium

I have used MB Quart exclusively when doing car audio upgrades. Furthermore, my entire home theater setup is MB Quart. (Including many retired speakers - retired due to upgrading not death) The company lives on mobile sales as their presence in the home is limited due to price-point. I have not been in car audio for quite some time but have faith that Quarts are some of the finest mobile speakers available. I have two sets staring at me in the garage waiting to be put into our Pilot.

BTW: Most people will say they are bright and I tend to agree. You may want to demo the sound with the tweeter crossover set to +0dB and -3dB. I used the -3 but that was for a set of separate with the tweeters located high up on the door.

Good luck and happy listening. I doubt you're disappointed.

Chris R:1:

#4 ·
Thank you Houton Pilot

You right Houton Pilot, the clear sound quality that motivate me to signed an installation agreement with tweeter. They have test four brand of speakers (1) Boston Acoustics, (2) Alpine (3) Kicker (4) and MB Quart PCE216 Premium Series. Promptly, I decided to go with MB Quart PCE216 Premium Series, I mistakenly signed and didn't realize the price for two pairs are over a thousand. On 8/13/03 is the installation date. I'll post some pics.

#6 ·
I am waiting for my MB QUART 216 to be installed next week with a new amp and sub. Ill keep the rears as fill and have the new amp power the sub and new MB's. They sound great!

#7 ·
lesm

You suggest I should upgrade my subwoofer, too? I thought of that, too. What do you think?
But, I did spoke to the guy at Tweeter he stated it is going to be very hard to find a Subwoofer to fit on the Pilot because dept is too short. Any suggestion which Subwoofer will fit without Mod the Subwoofer area?

#8 ·
Hi Res-Pilot
Yes, I think you have to replace your subwoofer, no question about it !
There is more than one way to go about it.
Perhaps the easiest is to get a separate box for your new bass driver.
Ferdball and FlPilot are satisfied with that option.

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4831

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4108

Another alternative would be to get a shallow sub and install it in original location.
Yuri is happy with that choice

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4990

And a few of us did some simple modification and we are also very pleased with the result.

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4437&pagenumber=1
http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2348&pagenumber=2

Hope this helps.
Lesm

#9 ·
OK Lesm,

Just have Tweeter add and Mod the Subwoofer are for total of $160.00 Extra. That include all accessories for the Subwoofer and installation. The subwoofer is JBL GT Series GT100.

So here is the list.

Alpine 5-channel MRV-F450 V12 series amplifier
MB Quart PCE216 6.5" Front
MB Quart PCE216 5½" Rear
JBL GT Series GT100 Subwoofer

Total of $1301.98 everything including installation and accessories.

I did ask the Tweeter guy to take some pictures as they go along so I can post it here.
Thanks LESM for push the Replacement button of the stock Subwoofer.
Once again, thanks guy even those I added Subwoofer I still save more $ because you guy bring up "Will Beat Any Price" and that exactly what I did print it out give to Tweeter and "SAVE!!!"

Do you guy know anything about Boston Acoustics? They are very expensive, too and the sound quality can't tell between MB Quart & Boston Acoustics.

#10 ·
That’s great Res-Pilot.
So we helped you save some money, I guess lunch is on you.
I would suggest one more thing, sound deadening Dynamat Extreme (not the original)
You don’t need a lot but at least for the subwoofer area.
http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/125

Boston Acoustics makes some good speakers too, and many other companies, but you made your choice ( I think good one) and no reason to second guess yourself.
You will have an impressive stereo system in your Pilot for a reasonable price

#11 ·
tweeter install

Res-Pilot, how did you get this price for install -$1300.00?

I just checked price on your front speakers $579.00, the amp is at least $300.00 - 350.00, plus rear speakers and the sub. It seem to be more then $1300.00.

Can you please post a break-down of the items from your total bill.
If you look under "Blaupunkt thin subwoofer" thread, you will see my cost ~$1800.00 w/ Boston Acoustics speakers, which are cheaper. I did spend $450.00 for a new head unit and srteering wheel controls.
Thanks, Yuri.

#12 ·
Re: tweeter install

Yuri said:
Res-Pilot, how did you get this price for install -$1300.00?

I just checked price on your front speakers $579.00, the amp is at least $300.00 - 350.00, plus rear speakers and the sub. It seem to be more then $1300.00.

Can you please post a break-down of the items from your total bill.
If you look under "Blaupunkt thin subwoofer" thread, you will see my cost ~$1800.00 w/ Boston Acoustics speakers, which are cheaper. I did spend $450.00 for a new head unit and srteering wheel controls.
Thanks, Yuri.
Price Beat, that is how I got from $579.99 a pair to $345.99 a pair on MB Quart,

Alpine MRV-F450 $450.00
MB Quart 6.5" $345.99 Front
MB Quart 5½" $345.99
JBL Subwoofer $160.00
All prices are include accessories and installation cost.

#13 ·
Price Beat, that is how I got from $579.99 a pair to $345.99 a pair on MB Quart,

Sorry, Res-Pilot, what is Price Beat? Is that when you have to bring somebody else's estimate first in order to get cheaper price?

I already installed the system but it's good to know in case I buy another car w/ bad sound system.

Thanks, Yuri

Havasu Blue "03 EX-L w/ side-steps, PIAA fogs, Stainless steel exhaust tips. cargo cover, etc.

#14 ·
Re: Re: tweeter install

Res-Pilot said:

Alpine MRV-F450 $450.00
MB Quart 6.5" $345.99 Front
MB Quart 5½" $345.99
JBL Subwoofer $160.00
All prices are include accessories and installation cost.
Sorry for the multiple posts, but, after looking at tweeter site, I would like to ask a couple of questions:
1 Are you sure you are getting PCE216 not RCE216 speakers ($579.00 and $329.00) ?

2. Recommended amplifier power for either speaker is 60-130 watts, and Alpine 450 produces 50x4 watts RMS - would it be enough to get full sound from the speakers?

***I'm pretty sure those guys at tweeter know what they are doing, so I'm asking above out of curiosity.

Thanks, Yuri

#15 ·
MB Quart PCE216 Premium Series

MB Quart PCE216 Premium Series, that what I'm getting. Not RCE216. Original price MB Quart PCE216 Premium Series is $579.99. But, they said they beat any price which mean if you find any other places that have cheaper price they will honor the lowest price that why I only $345.99 not an original price of $579.99. Which Tweeter did charging me full price of $579.99 a pair. Thanks to couple guys from here who referred me to other site that having the same model with lower price, I bring all the print page to Tweeter they did honor the lower price.

For the WATT thing, that is a good question I was asking the same question when I check the Spec. Tweeter stated because the MB Quart PCE216 Premium Series come with it own extra power and Cross-Over auto switch (I don't know that at is) so it balance it own power with or without the amp. For the Amp it has it own Power filter, Cross-Over and many other I don't even know and care because these guy are the Pro, all I care is to get the best sound quality possible.

#16 ·
After seeing poor explanation from “Tweeters “ regarding power requirements for MB Quart PCE216, I decided to do some research on my own. I called MB Quart technical support and they assured me that 50w/ch from Alpine MRV-F450 would be enough, unless very high volume levels are desired. Apparently, some manufacturers overrate specifications for their amplifiers and Alpine does not.

#17 ·
Get Pilot Back from the Tweeter

hey guys, you won't believed the sound quality of this speakers and a JL Audio W3v2 8" Subwoofer the Tweeter guy setup. Oh! just want to clear one thing up, front speaker is 6½" and the rear is 5.25" well, the front speaker didn't fit, it is too be so they swap to all 5.25" front and rear and for the Subwoofer, didn't fit with a 10" either so they replace with an 8" JL Audio W3v2 (Top of the line Subwoofer). I have to pay extra $95 for the Subwoofer.
But, let me tell you one thing, don't compare the stock with this audio upgrade, The tweeter clarity is superb, and the bass so deep that I have to put it to -3 if I put to +3 it shock the hold car. For F450 Alpine Amp....5 Channel is superb, if anyone want to go for an amp? get F450.

Pictures Tweeter will send to me this Sunday and I will posted.

#18 ·
AUDIO UPGRADE

VERY HAPPY TO HEAR OF THE IMPROVEMENT RES. BUT NOW YOU HAVE ME WORRIED. I AM ALSO INSTALLING MB QUARTS PCE 216 6 1/2 IN FRONT THIS WEEKEND(ALREADY BOUGHT). WHAT DI DNOT FIT?
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS

#19 ·
#20 ·
Re: AUDIO UPGRADE

HDTVEE said:
VERY HAPPY TO HEAR OF THE IMPROVEMENT RES. BUT NOW YOU HAVE ME WORRIED. I AM ALSO INSTALLING MB QUARTS PCE 216 6 1/2 IN FRONT THIS WEEKEND(ALREADY BOUGHT). WHAT DI DNOT FIT?
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS
Don't worried, just changed to 5.25". I just realized both front and rear speakers are the same size, both are 5.25".
Did you know that the Treble and Bass on the Pilot are either 0 - 6, but after installing the Amp both Treble and bass goes from -0 -1 -2 -3 0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6.

#21 ·
upgrade

Thanks Res
Ill let you know how mine turns out.
Have a good weekend everyone!

#22 ·
One more thing about 10 minutes ago Tweeter return my call concerning my complain of the Subwoofer. The Sub is top of the line from JL Audio 8W3v2 125W-150W High Power Sub. The Amp F450 also 125W to 200W for the Sub Channel, to me and a couple of friend think the Sub couldn't handle the Amp power, I can tune on the bass to +2 and the tune the voluem to +4 the Sub almost blow.
When Tweeter call they did agree the JL 8W3v2 cannot handle the Amp their mistake will bring it back next Wednesday to replace the Sub. I don't know which one they will replace but was inform that they will put a sub that can handle 150W-300W either mod the sub to fit 10" or just stay with an 8" Sub. I will keep you all inform.

#23 ·
AUDIO UPGRADE

RES:
ONE MORE QUESTION. WHERE DID THEY PUT THE AMP?
I AM PUTTING IN A KICKER 5 CHANNEL AMP AND KICKER SUB SO I HOPE THEY ARE COMPATABLE. HAVE A GOOD ONE!

#24 ·
Re: AUDIO UPGRADE

HDTVEE said:
RES:
ONE MORE QUESTION. WHERE DID THEY PUT THE AMP?
I AM PUTTING IN A KICKER 5 CHANNEL AMP AND KICKER SUB SO I HOPE THEY ARE COMPATABLE. HAVE A GOOD ONE!
Under front passenger seat, they have to cut one of the pastic piece out because it too long, but it fit perfectly. Don't know about the Kicker subwoofer. Remember don't forgot to check the sub channel watt and the subwoofer watt. Like mine, they didn't put it correctly, my sub channel is 150W they install a 125W Subwoofer, as soon as I tune to +2 on the volume the sub almost blow off the subwoofer area because it can't handle to fifth 150W channel. My next schedule to replace is next Wednesday.

#25 ·
Amp placement

I had Kenwood 5 ch. amp installed by an authorized Boston Acoustics/Alpine shop in the storage compartment - it went in easy, but they had to remove 4 brackets that bolt to the floor. They said there is enough ventilation there, since the compartment is big.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.