Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I'm planning to buy a second car, a 2003 C230 sport sedan or C320 4matic. any comments on those two cars? a C32 AMG? Thanks!:D Is it in its 1st or second year of model production?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I test-drove the MB C a few months ago. It is a beautiful car, but not as beautiful as the more expensive MBs. It is pretty small and I found the interior to be a bit cheap. MBs are very expensive to up keep (think windshield wipers, etc.) and if something breaks forget it. You get much better value, not to mention space for your money with an Accord. But if you are interested in a luxury-type vehicle I would look at the Acura TL (very fast and much more room) or even the Lexus sedan before the MB. Good luck!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Even most Mercedes enthusiasts will tell you that quality has declined severely in the last 10 years, but since the C class is priced similar to many other "commonplace" sedans, I guess you can't expect exclusivity and quality at that price point.

Since you're in Chicago and Michigan, I'd look at the 4-matic, unless you have the option of leaving it in the garage and driving the Pilot when the weather gets nasty.

That said, the C32 AMG is in a whole different class. If you can swing one, it's a nice car, and very quick. I know guys who claim they have spanked Corvettes in theirs, though they didn't feel THAT fast to me. But if you want performance in a comfortable sedan with seating for four, it's a good choice. I've ridden in the back seat, and while it wasn't huge, it wasn't bad either. I guess, spacewise, that would apply to all C-class sedans.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) thanks for the honest reply! the C would just be the right size, but I still have to compare it with the IS300 and the 325's. The accord is just too big, so is the TL. it is actually for my wife so the size is what decides us to take the three small sedans.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Stick w/ the M or BMW then. Don't get the IS. Down where I live every kid past 21 has managed to afford one. They remind me of Corrollas and Civics. I love the 2 door BMW.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am currently looking at the same segment as you. I have done extensive research at the 3 series BMW, C-class, Infinity G35, and Acura TSX.

The c-class MB just isn't a good value. All you are really getting is the badge and a future of expensive repair bills.

Have you ever owned / driven a Bimmer? Check out the 325. IMO, it is the standard (and the 330, which rocks) by which all others in that class should be compared to.

My second choice would probably be the G35 - a very nice savings, too. Not to mention, more reliable than both the Bimmer and MB.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I can vouch for Infiniti. I have owned 3 over the past six years and have never had one trip to the garage, outside of tires, brakes, oil, etc. Great cars.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) I guess if both MB and Bimmer are relatively reliable I can just narrow it to this 2. Infiniti is nice too like the G35 but it is priced similarly to the MB. will have to pick one in two weeks hopefully!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just keep in mind that while these cars are priced similarly, you get more for your $ with Acura, Infinity and even BMW. Reliable - BMW is better than MB - but don't take my word for it, check it out. Fit and finish is also better with BMW in this price range as well......

·
Registered
63 Posts
C230

I also test drove a C230 about a month ago. It felt very solid and it handled well, but it felt severely underpowered (perhaps due to the automatic trans) even compared to my 01 Accord 4-cyl 5-sp. If you have the $ to consider the AMG, that's another story.

Before you make up your mind, you should DEFINITELY go drive the Acura TSX. It's a good combination of sporty and refined, and the size will probably fit - it's smaller than the Accord and way smaller than the TL. Granted, I tend to have a Honda/Acura bias, but I think the TSX is a much better balance of price/performance than any of the C-class offerings.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I drove a C230 4matic wagon before buying the Pilot. I found it small and underpowered, although pretty well finished inside. Just be prepared for sky high repair bills. German cars are wonderfully engineered. When they work, they work incredibly well. My Audi A6 drove like a dream, but the repairs were outrageous. Three light bulbs and the illumination for the outside temperature sensor burned out. $500 to replace them. The motor that directed the ventilation to the defrost, front vents or floor vents got stuck. Another $1000. I went through three remotes in six years at $200 a piece (it WASN'T the battery!). Brake rotors needed replacement at 100K miles along with the second set of pads. $1000. And when I traded it in last week, it was losing coolant and there was a thumping sound from the left front suspension on modest bumps.

Germans know how to engineer cars. There's no car door that sounds better when closed than a Mercedes. Just be prepared to budget $3K per year in maintenance and repairs when the car gets older, IMHO. Of course all this doesn't matter if you just intend to lease a car for a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
sblvro said:
:) thanks for the honest reply! the C would just be the right size, but I still have to compare it with the IS300 and the 325's. The accord is just too big, so is the TL. it is actually for my wife so the size is what decides us to take the three small sedans.
A little over a year ago, we looked at the C class coupe and sedans. Liked the supercharged 2.3 L engine - good power output and fuel economy - but the coupe really felt tight. The sedan was better but the C class seemed to lack a number of refinements one would expect from a MB. Seemed to be a compromise vehicle designed to broaden MB's target audience. What concerned me was MB's very poor reliability of late. Their M-class SUV received horrible reliability ratings.

We ended up with a 325i (and like yourselves, this was a car for my wife). The feel of the car is indescribable - I see why BMW has such a faithful following. It truly is a driving experience. My wife simply loves the car and I truly enjoy driving the car as well. The size is perfect. The back seat is decent. The one cautionary note I would sound is that BMW's quality ratings have declined. I need to schedule a service appt as the car has developed a rough downshift into first gear right at the 10 mph mark, when slowing to a stop.

Generally speaking, we decided on the bimmer, knowing that reliability was not as good as some of the Japanese products because while there are other cars that offer more HP, there are very few that offer the performance balance and sensory satisfaction that we have found in the bimmer.

FYI, here are a few forums I visit that deal with the E46

Hotbimmer

E46 fanatics

BTW, as evidence of their product support, BMW has free scheduled maintenance for four years.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) drove the bimmer yesterday the 325i and the sport edition 325. although the seating position is very nice and the drive is actually very responsive, the interior looked dated compared to the C230 sedan offering and to get all the goodies you have to step up to the sport edition with premium package which already will set you back 37K while the same equipment with 4 door side airbags leather seats, moonroof and low profile tires only costs 32K with the MB and they are even willing to give me 2K off leaving 30K for a comparably equipped german car. it is not for me but for my wife and the value in this car is perfect. for the ultimate driving experience and for myself personally, I will pick the evo8 than a BMW, which will be in a few months.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:) just drove an IS300 over the weekend and for the price and amenities, it looks like a value, like our pilot. nothing against the bmw, sfpilot, but like my previous post, just like the drive feel of the evo8, maybe if i look at the m3 333hp then my taste will change but the price of it is steep though.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:D finally decided on a 2003 IS300 black. looks bling bling and cool and made a wise choice on my part, happy with the purchase and dealer no pressure. it looks like a good value as a pilot would be:cool:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congrats! Now you have to perfect cars! Glad you got a good deal on the IS. Enjoy driving.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:D thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts